Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.31.2015, 03:25 AM   #121
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Apparently Chance is playing with some multi-instrumental/cross-genre shit... Normally I'd say "slooow down" to an unsigned (or is he signed now? Fucking hard to know these days) Chicago rapper who has exactly one successful mix-tape to his name.

Actually, I'm saying that now... Fucker needs to slow down. What, does he think he's perfected rap already? Done all he can do with it by ripping off Common and Tribe and looking perpetually distracted like some autistic boy genius who engineers Lego castles in his head while you're trying to teach him how to fucking tell time!

Well Acid Rap was fine enough but he hasn't earned the right to jump ship yet. He needs to buckle down like Joey Bada$$ and deliver a classic debut that's chi-city to the core. Then he can mix things up, incrementally, first with production, then with song forms and some day with an inside out version of the genre.

But I do not want to hear how rad his friends are at riffing. It's the purpose of an emcee to make a testament out of nothing but his words, knowledge & linguistic skill. I know he's such a darling right now, but he's gonna fade fast if he doesn't prove Acid Rap wasn't a fluke. Hell, I can't believe kids can even openly like that record without getting their shit kicked at school. But I guess even the most thoroughly held-back senior in high school wouldn't even remember the release of College Dropout at this point, much less any substantive Gangsta rapper's formative years. Fuck..

But I digress.

I just feel like he needs to pay his respects to hip hop and live by the code a bit before turning into Prince.
you're talking about "Surf"? no need to worry then. Chance is just a guest on a few songs on that album, and it'll be released as a Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment project. his solo album will come out later this year.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2015, 04:35 AM   #122
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Why Chance The Rapper Is Forgoing Solo Fame To Make Jazzy Songs With Friends
http://www.thefader.com/2015/01/29/c...nt-cover-story
Old 01.31.2015, 05:58 AM   #123
louder
invito al cielo

Big Sean - Dark Sky Paradise

1. Dark Sky (Skyscrapers)
2. Blessings (Feat. Drake)
3. All Your Fault (Feat. Kanye West)
4. I Don't Fuck With You (Feat. E-40)
5. Play No Games (Feat. Chris Brown & Ty Dolla $ign)
6. Paradise (Extended)
7. Win Some, Lose Some
8. Stay Down
9. I Know (Feat. Jhené Aiko)
10. Deep (Feat. Lil Wayne)
11. One Man Can Change the World (Feat. Kanye West & John Legend)
12. Outro
Old 01.31.2015, 06:45 AM   #124
louder
invito al cielo

Only One video, directed by Spike Jonze: https://youtube.com/watch?v=WibQR0tQ0P8

beautiful.
Old 01.31.2015, 02:28 PM   #125
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

Big Sean - Dark Sky Paradise

1. Dark Sky (Skyscrapers)
2. Blessings (Feat. Drake)
3. All Your Fault (Feat. Kanye West)
4. I Don't Fuck With You (Feat. E-40)
5. Play No Games (Feat. Chris Brown & Ty Dolla $ign)
6. Paradise (Extended)
7. Win Some, Lose Some
8. Stay Down
9. I Know (Feat. Jhené Aiko)
10. Deep (Feat. Lil Wayne)
11. One Man Can Change the World (Feat. Kanye West & John Legend)
12. Outro

Nice supporting cast! Two Kanye tracks? I'm into it.
Looks like a solid record. Could be Sean's big break.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2015, 02:50 PM   #126
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I've been listening to Sorry For The Wait 2 quite a bit. I can't say I'm really that floored by the quality of the verses, but they lyrics certainly suck less than they have in some time. Still, bitching about the villainous record label is not generally much of a topical improvement over bragging about how much pussy you eat.

I'm being hard on Wayne because he's the kind of artist that should be judged harshly. He's capable of doing great things, so I'm not going to give him a standing ovation for barely managing to surpass complete mediocrity. It wouldn't be fair to him.

He's never sounded so brittle. He's talking like a boss, but he hasn't been one in some time. Not really. It's nice to hear him talk about sending his thugs out to bring him "head proof," but from a technical perspective he's still just scraping by... It's hard to imagine that this is the dude who declared himself the Best Rapper Alive, and actually managed to convince most of the world that this was the god's honest truth, and not just the hubris of a hype-inflated ego.

He sounds like he might still have his balls intact... But all of this backstory shit begs the question: WHY? Why, specifically, is Carter V being held hostage? Is it too "radical" for those softies over at Cash Money? If that's the case, why was he able to release a million singles, ostensibly from the album, without any protest from the execs? Christ, is he just buying time? If those singles weren't from CV, then what the fuck were they, other than disappointing and totally shitty?

And why is Chris Brown still being featured on the tracks of A-listers? His career should have been dead long ago, and I still try to boycot him as much as possible. But if that guy has any true friends in the industry then hip hop really does need to make some changes.
Old 01.31.2015, 05:39 PM   #127
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Nice supporting cast! Two Kanye tracks? I'm into it.
Looks like a solid record. Could be Sean's big break.
acutally three. he has a hidden verse at the end of Blessings too (which i posted in the last page). and yeah the more Kanye the better.

what do you guys think about the Only One video? not gonna lie, i teared up a bit the first time i watched it. Kanye and Spike Jonze did it again.
Old 01.31.2015, 05:56 PM   #128
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
And why is Chris Brown still being featured on the tracks of A-listers? His career should have been dead long ago, and I still try to boycot him as much as possible. But if that guy has any true friends in the industry then hip hop really does need to make some changes.
he isn't going anywhere as long as there's an army of teenage girls behind him. same with Justin Bieber. at least the latter recently apologized for being a douchebag.
Old 02.01.2015, 10:16 AM   #129
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
acutally three. he has a hidden verse at the end of Blessings too (which i posted in the last page). and yeah the more Kanye the better.

what do you guys think about the Only One video? not gonna lie, i teared up a bit the first time i watched it. Kanye and Spike Jonze did it again.

I haven't seen the video. Truthfully, I've tried to steer clear of Kanye videos for the most part. Ever since I gave in and became a straight-up fan, I've really tried to let my relationship with Kanye West exist only in the sonic space between his music and my ears.

I read about him, but I am picky about what I read. I stay away from smear stories and comedy sketches. Sometimes I'll watch an interview if It's not linked to me by some biased headline about how "crazy" he is.

Videos have always had a strange effect on me, especially when I see them after really falling for a song. It's because I develop a personal relationship with the song, and it feels pure and true (sorry 4 the cheese); then I see someone else's take on it and I can never unsee it, so if it Fucks with my perception of the song too much, I risk never being able to listen to the song the same way I did when it was just the music and my own imagination (which-- because of my synaesthesia or my Asperger's or my brilliance or my retardedness or whatever-- always seems to add the perfect color, hue, brightness and associative imagery to the music I hear).

Does that make sense? I'm sure you get it-- but does anyone else experience this?

Once in a while a video will do a better job than my own brain (subjectively speaking of course). One of those instances was when the video for "My Hero" by the Fop Fighters came out. I had almost ignored the song, never thinking it as a standout, even in those strange early post-Nirvana years when everything within 2 degrees of separation from Nirvana felt like a blessing. Anyway, I listened to The Colour & The Shape without ever really feeling that song.

When the video came out, as grandstanding as it was, it gave the song a sort of vital importance and heartbreaking urgency. To this day it's one of my favorite videos, and even though the Foos are now the antithesis of all that is good and holy, that song still makes my heart race. I love it. So in that instance it took a better mind than my own to color and shade the music.

But I remember there was a direct correlation between my increasing appreciation of Kanye's music, and my self removal from TV, social media, music journalism and sites like pitchfork. The more I listened to YOU assholes ( ) and the more I listened to the small Kanye library I had, without input from anyone else, the more I liked him. In this time I went from publicly slamming him ("except 808's and MBDTF and WTT") to owning hard copies of all of his albums, and ranking every one of them at least an A-.... Not to mention taking an unscheduled 2 hour lunch so I could run to the store and buy Yeezus the day it hit stores, listening to it in full in my car while I should have been at the office.

So long story short, I'm afraid my now perfect opinion of my now all time top 3 artist will be altered by too much exposure to anything other than his music. My life was a lot more organized pre-Kanye, but it was significantly less interesting, and my love for music was slipping a bit. I don't want to go back.

You can't make me.

Old 02.02.2015, 11:33 AM   #130
louder
invito al cielo

new Cannibal Ox track off the new album, featuring DOOM: https://soundcloud.com/ihiphop-distr...f-doom/s-IWHeX
Old 02.02.2015, 12:20 PM   #131
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
new Cannibal Ox track off the new album, featuring DOOM: https://soundcloud.com/ihiphop-distr...f-doom/s-IWHeX

Aw fuck naw!!
Old 02.02.2015, 12:24 PM   #132
louder
invito al cielo

i feel like that beat could've been much better with a few touches.. still fire though. DOOM killed it, as expected.
Old 02.02.2015, 12:24 PM   #133
louder
invito al cielo

Cannibal Ox and El-P was a perfect match. i'm upset that he didn't produce anything on the new album, to be honest.
Old 02.02.2015, 07:06 PM   #134
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Cannibal Ox and El-P was a perfect match. i'm upset that he didn't produce anything on the new album, to be honest.

Understandable. It pisses me off too. It was the match of artist and producer that made Cannibal Ox so special. It's like ... A Madvillain sequel that didn't have any Madlib beats. Or a Deltron sequel without Automator, KidKoala, etc.

Why the hell ISN'T El-P on the record? He didn't produce the Gotham shit either, whatever the fuck that was.

It's kinda like buying that "Return of Dr Octagon" album and realizing that it was totally not Dr. Octagon. It was just some fucking live group using canned Keith rhymes. Now that pissed me off. I was not big on music news at the time so I had no idea the project was whack until I bought it.
Old 02.02.2015, 08:32 PM   #135
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
THIS IS HIP HOP (the gad)
Jah
Blaze Up
Supply and Demand

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2015, 11:24 PM   #136
Severian
invito al cielo

What a surprise... Reggae songs titled "Jah" and "Blaze Up"... What's next, cats named Fluffy? No way. Too much for brain. Brain death, now.
Old 02.03.2015, 12:18 AM   #137
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Wait, you were supposed to actually click the links and check out the music and the ridiculously great flow that Midnite brings to it. Just click The Gad, i personally guarantee that one track involves more complex rhyme patterns and cadence than ANYTHING in your hip hop collection, seen?

You realized that blaze up also has NOTHING to do with weed? But you know, maybe the simpleton music i listen too isnt as complex as that 3 6 mafia shit you be bumpin
And you did realize reggae is one OF the foundation of hip-hop?

Old 02.03.2015, 08:32 PM   #138
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

FUUUUUCKKK.. Dead Prez doin "Lets Get Free" live at one of my favorite venues FOR FIVE BUCKS (!!!!!) but I can't make it yo.. got nite class and work the next morning.. grrrrrrrrrr.. that record is in my top 5 of records that single handedly changed my life along with Bob Marley Natty Dread, Sleater-Kinney Dig Me Out, Makaveli Seven Day Theory, and Jimi Hendrix Woodstock.. (ok honorable mention for Grateful Dead Anthem to the Sun but generally speaking I don't listen to Dead albums, just live show bootlegs)

Old 02.04.2015, 12:02 AM   #139
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Wait, you were supposed to actually click the links and check out the music and the ridiculously great flow that Midnite brings to it. Just click The Gad, i personally guarantee that one track involves more complex rhyme patterns and cadence than ANYTHING in your hip hop collection, seen?

You realized that blaze up also has NOTHING to do with weed? But you know, maybe the simpleton music i listen too isnt as complex as that 3 6 mafia shit you be bumpin
And you did realize reggae is one OF the foundation of hip-hop?

I was just messing with you. Regarding your guarantee about the Gad, it's not true. You haven't seen my hip hop collection. Maybe you think all I like is production-and-beat centered acts like Yeezy. And while I do love that shit (good production is as necessary to good hip hop in 2015 as a good DJ was to the first era rap's golden age) I also listen to technical shit, as you know from our conversations about E40.

I'm just not into contemporary reggae, mate. No offense. I love a lot of what came out of the genre in the 70's, but I can't really get into the newer incarnations of it. That said, there has obviously always been a massive reggae influence in hip hop and there still is. Nobody would deny that.

But let's talk about new hip hop ok?

Did y'all hear the late 2014 SpaceGhostPurrp release that dropped in December? It's available on Spotify now.
Old 02.04.2015, 12:13 AM   #140
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

No, you took that wrong way in your disdain for reggae. I didn't mention midnite's rapping to imyply your shit sucks so much as to point out just how good Midnite is. Click the link and decide for yourself. Also, i AM talking about hip hop, click the links and decide for yourself

57 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth