Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What do you love/hate about music right now?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.23.2008, 08:30 PM   #41
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles eugene
Ha! thats funny, do they rock out to the chilis before the big game?
Yes! XD usually give it away....
The foo fighters also seem to get them goin.
Its just hard to be really into a band when its associated with the future frat boys of america XD

I do like both bands though, just not actively or vocally XD.

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2008, 08:33 PM   #42
charles eugene
bad moon rising

charles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
A band as genuinley angry as say.. Black Flag couldn't exist in today's musical climate. The anger that you heard in those records and live came from shitty touring conditions, the frustrations of living from dollar to dollar, and an overall state of alienation.

The internet has taken away the need for extensive guerilla promotion (another interesting facet of the Flag), for a band to be truly hated but still try, in essence it takes some of the passion and effort out of making music. Sure its a great convenience, but on an artistic level, I'm gonna have to dispute the helpfulness of the internet

And with the internet being the defining object of everything these days, music included, I'm gonna classify this as an argument against music's current path.

damn, that was good and true. It really does take the effort and passion out of it all, which has in my eyes taken alot of the genuine(ness?) and sincerity out of a good portion of music.
BUT for the listener and or musicmaker the internet has definitley made music more accesible(i wouldnt have found out about over half of artists i like) and at the click of a button. Its like every other day i got a new favorite artist and shit

charles eugene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2008, 08:37 PM   #43
charles eugene
bad moon rising

charles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's assescharles eugene kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yes! XD usually give it away....
The foo fighters also seem to get them goin.
Its just hard to be really into a band when its associated with the future frat boys of america XD

I do like both bands though, just not actively or vocally XD.

LOLZ
but i freakin love the chili peppers, i just grew up listening to them

EDIT: i know what u mean though, there are a few bands that i secretly love too

Old 06.23.2008, 08:38 PM   #44
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah I get that side of it it to. It really is a love hate thing for me. I discover alot of new artists through it, but it doesn't seem like many of them have much real intensity.
to me.. you can play as heavy and hard as you want, but if you don't feel it, than you can't really get under my skin.

And like I said, I think the new found convenience modern bands have found in the internet has taken some of that away.
It really is a ying-yang sort of thing.

Old 06.23.2008, 08:40 PM   #45
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

Quote:
LOLZ
but i freakin love the chili peppers, i just grew up listening to them

EDIT: i know what u mean though, there are a few bands that i secretly love too
haha oh we all do... for the longest time I thought I should be ashamed of liking NIN ( afavorite of the black eye liner crowd) until I found out that more cool people than lame people like them. XD
What's your favorite album by the chili's?

Old 06.23.2008, 08:47 PM   #46
charles eugene
bad moon rising

By The Way is sooo boss and same with Blood Sugar. But to me theyre all classics and good as shit. Dave Navaro wasnt shit compared to john frusciante though. I really dig their shit from way back with like Freaky Styley and Uplift Mofo too, its so fun. But i have to admit that their singles arent always the best(but i love them too)

Old 06.23.2008, 08:49 PM   #47
charles eugene
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I love that the reggae scene in Los Angeles just wont day, you can see all the legendary artists EVERY year, year after year, and some of these brethren are getting old!

I hate that everyone thinks they know about music, when so many people have little to know experience with the shit, and so they are idiots.

on this same line of thinking, I hate that everyone has some Ipod now, as if they all just love music that much. I have been dedicated with my headphones since the day, years solid, and I hate to look like all these weirdos who suddenly pull out their ipod on the bus like, "oh yeah, i got music to listen to?.." no shit asshole! I-man have been as dedicated to music as wearing shoes! I could never forget to put on my music, cuz it is ALWAYS on my ears, and so, I hate music lover pousers, who floss music players for novelty or even worse, status. I-pod=exploitation of music by the masses, even worse then radio, especially when you look at what is on these ipods...

I know what you mean, this thread is really telling it like it is

Old 06.23.2008, 08:53 PM   #48
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

Quote:
By The Way is sooo boss and same with Blood Sugar. But to me theyre all classics and good as shit. Dave Navaro wasnt shit compared to john frusciante though. I really dig their shit from way back with like Freaky Styley and Uplift Mofo too, its so fun. But i have to admit that their singles arent always the best(but i love them too)
Yeah when John left the band really went to hell.
You really can't argue with Blood Sugar, they kind of perfected their craft with that one.

I always thought their really early records sounded kind of weird, can't tell you why though... just always have.

Old 06.23.2008, 08:59 PM   #49
charles eugene
bad moon rising

Quote:
I always thought their really early records sounded kind of weird, can't tell you why though... just always have.

yea i hated it so bad before. It sounds wierd because they were really wierd, they were literally like half insane back then and on drugs. Im reading Anthony Kiedis' biography currently and it is awesome, its so hard to put down.

Old 06.23.2008, 09:00 PM   #50
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

I've heard it'll kind of make you think differently of them

Old 06.23.2008, 09:15 PM   #51
charles eugene
bad moon rising

yes indeed, they were some real free spirits back then. They just lived for fun and did whatever, whether it be jumping off an 8 story building, banging your drug dealing dads girl at like 12 or shootin up

I know someones gonna be like "this is so off topic omg"

Old 06.24.2008, 12:25 AM   #52
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
chili peppers suck... they do cover beefheart live though apparently..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2008, 12:33 AM   #53
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
maybe they are awesome live, I wouldn't know. Some bands are great live but I hate their records (like the Locust).

the locust are one of the worst bands i have seen live. the only record of theirs i can ever listen to is their first 7 inch anyway.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2008, 12:35 AM   #54
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
They were great live when I saw them.. really full of energy and making fun of everyone and it was actually funny instead of their usual brand of "we're more scene than you so let's joke about how scene you are" bullshit. I guess in retrospect the show seemed more awesome because I just watched their drummer. But yeah, shit band.

Everything I love and hate about music can be summed up with this quote: "I am an antichrist, I am an anarchist."

Old 06.24.2008, 12:38 AM   #55
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
They were great live when I saw them.. really full of energy and making fun of everyone and it was actually funny instead of their usual brand of "we're more scene than you so let's joke about how scene you are" bullshit. I guess in retrospect the show seemed more awesome because I just watched their drummer. But yeah, shit band.

Everything I love and hate about music can be summed up with this quote: "I am an antichrist, I am an anarchist."

yeah the only thing i liked about them is when they made fun of everyone and pretended they were on coke. i saw them with combat wounded veteran and they sucked even worse live then the locust. even though i did like combat wounded veteran the first time i saw them live with reversal of man.
Old 06.24.2008, 12:45 AM   #56
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

haha cwv.. ew.

Old 06.24.2008, 12:48 AM   #57
uhler
invito al cielo

Quote:
haha cwv.. ew.

agreed.
Old 06.24.2008, 04:20 AM   #58
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
A band as genuinley angry as say.. Black Flag couldn't exist in today's musical climate. The anger that you heard in those records and live came from shitty touring conditions, the frustrations of living from dollar to dollar, and an overall state of alienation... all of those things are taken away by the easy accesability and use of the internet.

The internet has taken away the need for extensive guerilla promotion (another interesting facet of the Flag), for a band to be truly hated but still try, in essence it takes some of the passion and effort out of making music. Sure its a great convenience and takes away some of the above mentioned troubles, but on an artistic level, I'm gonna have to dispute the helpfulness of the internet.

The internet really really takes away some of the joy of finding things through exploring, I'd much rather find a band by taking a chance at a record store, rather than clicking on some band's site because I saw that it got a million hits.

And with the internet being the defining object of everything these days, music included, I'm gonna classify this as an argument against music's current path.

you're mostly talking out of your arse
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2008, 04:25 AM   #59
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, I don't really agree with any of that. Don't use the internet to discover music if you don't want the joy taken away.

I think there is a lot more inwardness in our society in general thanks to the internet, but most people don't even use it to its full potential anyway. Most people only look at porn or personal ads I'd assume... but it is true that anything you ever wanted to know about anything is a click away. Which is more awesome than awful in my opinion, though I do eventually see our entire society existing almost exclusively online...

Old 06.24.2008, 04:32 AM   #60
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I like that music has a greater variety than ever. If I want to find a band that sounds like _____ but without the _____, and maybe a little more _____, it's probably already out there.

I hate that the proportion of good music to bad music has become increasingly worse.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth