Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Is Homosexuality Already Accepted in Europe?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.16.2008, 03:12 PM   #41
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
I think homosexuality is accepted pretty much everywhere in the Western world, whether people like it is another thing altogether. As folk have been saying, its all to do with exposure, humans always fear and resent the unknown (especially the English!), so as someone whos well exposed to gay men and women I fully respect it and, to be honest, am a little inclined that way myself. On the other hand, my brother, who has never met a homosexual (or so he thinks!) I was not surprised to learn has some extremely hostile homophobic views. For example, I recently asked him "if there was a gay man and a man convicted of raping a little girl infront of you and you had to shoot one of them?..." he answered "the queer of course". To be honest, I'm not surprised views like this still exist, homosexuality has only relatively recently risen into mainstream consciousness, and with the current gay stereotypes in media I don't expect this to change anytime soon, sadly.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2008, 06:14 PM   #42
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
This is both a convoluted response to porky's and Glice's posts, and a meandering monologue of my own thoughts, but a pertinent issue here is stereotyping, as Glice previously mentioned. Imbibing and adopting stereotypes is, I believe, almost inevitable - regardless of what we'd like to believe or how much we think we conscioiusly resist, we absorb the perspectives of our societal comrades like sponges. As an example, when I spot a particularly butch female, I will likely immediately think "lesbian Feminazi (thanks to whomever I stole that word from)," despite knowing and concluding that that may very well be entirely incorrect. Point being, we are imbued with the mentalities of our respective cultures, and I suppose the difference is whether you accept those without question or broaden your own perceptions. We are all at our primal nature, literally, at least in this generation, "taught" by biology and community to have tunnel vision, and I don't think any individual is devoid of this - one either retains it or sheds it.

If that didn't make any sense, fuck off and watch Bill Maher. No one made you read this. Gays are fab 'n that.

(Except for Feminazis. I hope they're all strangled in the night by their cargo pants.)
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2008, 06:30 PM   #43
sobriquet
bad moon rising

sobriquet kicks all y'all's assessobriquet kicks all y'all's assessobriquet kicks all y'all's assessobriquet kicks all y'all's assessobriquet kicks all y'all's assessobriquet kicks all y'all's assessobriquet kicks all y'all's assessobriquet kicks all y'all's assessobriquet kicks all y'all's assessobriquet kicks all y'all's assessobriquet kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
(Except for Feminazis. I hope they're all strangled in the night by their cargo pants.)

Suicidal.
sobriquet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2008, 07:42 PM   #44
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
In the paper yesterday there was a poll saying "Should boys be able to take their boyfriends to school formals?" and 52% voted no, while 48% voted yes. And you thought Australia was pretty liberal?
Old 04.16.2008, 11:14 PM   #45
jakeonguitar
bad moon rising

jakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think so.

Just because Europeans don't dress like bums and look like fat slobs doesn't mean they accept homosexuality. I was there a few weeks ago and they didn't act gay. They acted BA.

jakeonguitar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2008, 03:37 AM   #46
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Earnest eschewing of negative aspects of society doesn't remove them, nor does it solve them.

That's right, hence I posted this earlier:

'It's the society we live in, it's the hierarchy that is laid out because of its natural fabric, you can still win small victories and live comfortably in it.''

Right, enough of this now.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2008, 04:06 AM   #47
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
This is both a convoluted response to porky's and Glice's posts, and a meandering monologue of my own thoughts, but a pertinent issue here is stereotyping, as Glice previously mentioned. Imbibing and adopting stereotypes is, I believe, almost inevitable - regardless of what we'd like to believe or how much we think we conscioiusly resist, we absorb the perspectives of our societal comrades like sponges. As an example, when I spot a particularly butch female, I will likely immediately think "lesbian Feminazi (thanks to whomever I stole that word from)," despite knowing and concluding that that may very well be entirely incorrect. Point being, we are imbued with the mentalities of our respective cultures, and I suppose the difference is whether you accept those without question or broaden your own perceptions. We are all at our primal nature, literally, at least in this generation, "taught" by biology and community to have tunnel vision, and I don't think any individual is devoid of this - one either retains it or sheds it.

If that didn't make any sense, fuck off and watch Bill Maher. No one made you read this. Gays are fab 'n that.

There's more to the whole stereotyping thing.

One thing that never comes across is how fags can be suspicious and stereotyping of each other too, which healthly leads some of them to properly understand how the whole ''gay community'' thing is just a pile of kangaroo poo.

Take for example the whole aids thing: When people talk or write about it, generally I get the impression that they expect a united front of gaydom to check that things which might come across as inaccurate, stereoyping, offensive etc etc, are met with unanimous disdain. This is only true to an extent. The reality is that the sort of discrimination against someone with a desease like that is already put into practice by many....... GAYS!

I myself have had to recently question how much I am prejudiced towards something like that when asked out by someone who told me that they are HIV. And so do the majority of gays who I know and are blessed with a cynical streak. You can't help thinking that with infected sperm flying about you might end up being unlucky. Unfortunately I still haven't worked that one out either.

To conclude, in my 34 years of being on this planet I have been called names before and never once I got the impression of someone being actively or viciously homophobic towards me, and even if they were, I can give as good as I get, if not much better.

Baloons and candies for everyone.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth