Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Your opinion of Fleetwood Mac
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you think of them?
I love them. 9 30.00%
I hate them. 5 16.67%
I'm stuck in the middle. 9 30.00%
I don't care one way or the other. 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03.23.2007, 10:17 PM   #1
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
I don't hide the fact that Fleetwood Mac is my all time favorite band. From their early British Blues-Rock days led by godly guitarists Peter Green and Danny Kirwan, to their Mid-seventies stoner pop featuring Bob Welch and Christine McVie, to the 70's and 80's super-group fronted by Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. Their isn't much they can do wrong in my eyes. I know many people don't take them seriously, and I do largely prefer their earlier stuff from 1968-1976 before Rumours was recorded and they became coke-fiends.

Anyway, what do the rest of you think?

EDITED: to inlcude this goodness...

Oh Well
http://www.youtube.com/v/KE4HGlmtOcg

Like It This Way
http://www.youtube.com/v/HQ8AcEYTEFY
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i love fleetwood mac.
Old 03.24.2007, 11:07 AM   #3
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I had to vote stuck in the middle, since there really were two groups. Peter Green's band I'm all about.

The later stuff, I just can't separate in my head from Bill Clinton's Democratic Nomination acceptance speech, and all those disgusting psuedo-liberal yuppie elites dancing around to "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow". I know it's not really Fleetwood Mac's fault, but there it is.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I had to vote stuck in the middle, since there really were two groups. Peter Green's band I'm all about.

The later stuff, I just can't separate in my head from Bill Clinton's Democratic Nomination acceptance speech, and all those disgusting psuedo-liberal yuppie elites dancing around to "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow". I know it's not really Fleetwood Mac's fault, but there it is.

I know what you mean. "Don't Stop" is without a doubt one of my least favorite songs out of their entire expansive catalogue. It's so sugary and sweet it makes me sick at times.

And, in reality, Fleetwood Mac has been more like 5 or 6 different bands. At this point, when I think of Fleetwood Mac I usually envision the band's namesakes, Fleetwood (drummer Mick Fleetwood) and Mac (bassist John McVie). They've stuck with the band from the get-go despite all of the mayhem that has come along with the revolving door of guitarists and singers they have worked with.

If you're not familiar with their early to mid 70's output you should really check some of it out. Future Games, Bare Trees and Heroes are Hard to Find are three fantastic albums. Christine McVie's best work came before the inclusion of Buckingham and Nicks if you ask me.
Old 03.24.2007, 01:09 PM   #5
zedius
children of satan

zedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asses
I love 'em. I need to check out ther earlier stuff, but I love lindsay buckingham. I love big love, and I love what makes you think you're the one, and I love family man
Old 03.24.2007, 01:20 PM   #6
Green Magnesium
100%

I also LOVE all three of those songs zedius. Lindsey Buckingam's best work is on the Tusk and Tango in the Night albums if you ask me. Buckingham is what kept Fleetwood Mac from turning to shit in the 80's, like so many of their contemporaries did. Sure they went a bit synth-pop, but it was great synth-pop.
Old 03.24.2007, 04:03 PM   #7
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
Firstly, Then Play On is the best album they ever recorded. Secondly, I can't stand their later stuff, which effectively amounts to soft rock. Their early work with Green was unbelievable though. So... I'm not sure how I can vote here...
Old 03.24.2007, 09:14 PM   #8
Green Magnesium
100%

^ Then Play On really is a fantastic album! For more Greeniness you should check out the Boston Tea Party live recordings that have been released in three volumes. They were recorded shortly before Green left the band in 1970 I believe. They're probably one of, if not my favorite, live recordings.
Old 03.25.2007, 12:58 AM   #9
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band were mighty adept at that sort of thing too. I imagine you like them a lot. They're good.

Although I like the Fleetwood Mac, I guess I'm not a huge fan, but I wouldn't describe myself as "stuck in the middle" exactly either. I'm more "pro" than "stuck in the middle."

It seems in the thread that some that like the band downplay Rumours and, say, Tusk, like they were embarrassments. While some of the choices and production may not hold up today perfectly, those two albums featured what I would term fairly impressive songwriting for rock albums.

Then again, I love R.E.M., but the vast majority of their WB shit makes me cringe, so to each their own.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2008, 11:35 AM   #10
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i have Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac, and i love it. I sing very badly to Rhiannon whenever its played.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2008, 11:37 AM   #11
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I can't do it.
Even the supposed "great early stuff" doesn't do it for me.
Peter Green's solo LP "The End Of The Game" totally rules though.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2008, 02:05 PM   #12
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
I heard a song of theirs for the first time in the radio. But I did not find the song. It was really good too.
Old 01.14.2008, 02:39 PM   #13
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I had to go with stuck in the middle. While I can't say I would really listen to an album of theirs now, I can't deny the fact that I remember jamming to "Lies" in my carseat when I was little.

"Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies..."
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2008, 02:47 PM   #14
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
haha

"Joe Egan and Gerry Rafferty were a duo known as Stealers Wheel when they recorded this Dylanesque, pop, bubble-gum favorite from April 1974, that reached up to number five, as K-Billy's Super Sounds of the Seventies continues."

Leiber and Stoller produced "Stuck in the Middle (With You)."
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2008, 02:53 PM   #15
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I don't like the early blues Mac or the late "pop" Mac. I like the middle phase a lot, circa Bare Trees and the like. I can even take that first pop album, the s/t one.

I bought s/t like the week it came out because of a great review in Rolling Stone, I think. I played it over and over for five days straight, and my copy still has the insert where I wrote in a moment of enthusiasm "Damned good!" Then the radio started playing it ad nauseum and that was the kiss of death.
Old 01.14.2008, 05:08 PM   #16
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i think rumours is great. its funny cause in 77 when rumours was released the "punk kids", the kids id prolly would identify with had i been alive then, hated rumours cause it represented everything that punk rock seeked to destroy, extremly tight production, huge budget, big stadium tunes, massive rails of cocaine, but shit, if i here a fleetwood song on the radio ill usually listen.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2008, 05:31 PM   #17
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
lindsey buckingham is a totally insane guitarist sometimes... i like fleetwood mac though. tell me lies is great. that "tell-me-tell-me lies!" bit never fails to make me laugh.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2008, 05:33 PM   #18
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
They're the group my wife and I found some common ground with when we were first going out. Then later I introduced her to Blondie and Elvis Costello, whom she ended up liking more than I did, and Talking Heads, whom she did not.
Old 01.15.2008, 08:43 AM   #19
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
love them up to the early 80s then it all went a bit tango in the night. tusk is one of the most amazing yet strangest records ever made.

as for the whole shit with the band around rumours and even to this date, talk about a head fuck........ wtahc the classic albums thing on rumours, it gets shown on telly a bit and its dvdable....

peter green era fleetwood mac is special tho
Old 01.15.2008, 09:11 AM   #20
cellscape
little trouble girl

cellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to behold
We used to take family road trips jamming Tango in the Night, Rumours, and Steve Winwood. It was the only music the whole family all liked. Recently I downloaded about 3.5 GB which was like 30 albums I found online. I accidentally put them on a 60GB ipod and every time I hit shuffle Fleetwood would come on about every five songs. After two weeks it was driving me crazy, especially the early blues stuff b/c I'm not huge into the blues. I will say discovering there early seventies stoner rock has been a really pleasant surprise for someone that was never familiar with their older material.
cellscape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth