Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SONIC YOUTH
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.04.2011, 10:31 AM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
We are now in year 31 of the great SONIC YOUTH experiment.
If the last few years and releases have shown us anything is that all the members of Sonic Youth continue to be vital, creative, involved people, fully invested in their lives and art.
What it has also shown us clearly is that the individuals in SY are more invested in their own personal projects, whatever they may be, than they are in the collective entitiy called SY. Thurston has been writing most of the songs alone, on a fucking acoustic guitar of all things, and then he hands out lyrics to Kim. They do not spend the time it takes together to influence each other's ears and minds, creating new sounds. Between his folk-soft shit (which I swear I will LOVE if I make it to retirement age) and his writing, publishing, etc. T's time is pretty used up.
Lee has been busy with intimate solo performances and art pieces, and crafting new solo songs FINALLY, that there is no way he can be as invested in the SY.
Steve is in 8 bands, as I have said before. A great drummer is always in demand and Steve will only grow in his skillz and subtlety. He has a lot of music in his future.
Kim has been busy raising a daughter, writing songs with other people besides the Youth, and getting even more heavily involved with the Haute Couture and Fine Art worlds. She has said in interviews that what she looks forward to as far as the SY go, are the live performances. She has also said that it is a heavy drain on her and her hands, even after her switch to "rhythm guitar" and Ibold on bass.

As one gets older, (and I hit 38 a couple months ago so I can see the future), one's creative focus can narrow in an introspective way. Painters, musicians, writers, we all go through it. The communal creative experience just loses some importance. The personal, the stuff that is original to onesself as an individual human, that is what begins to fascinate, to feed the fire of one's art.

For all the great tunes on the last 3-4 SY albums, if you are honest with yourself, you will see that they are basically SY-Lite. They lack a cohesion of force. It may be my own opinion but that is what it feels like. The last album I was 85% in love with was Sonic Nurse. The Eternal seems like a collection of half-assed SY, much like what I felt during the EJST&NS era. I thought that SY was done then. They mended the fences and continued on with great stuff, but the end was near. It could be felt.

SY have outlived so many other bands. SY have made so many fantastic records. They have created some of the most intense songs ever. They have shown how to be a proper BAND. I love them so much.

SY are worth hours, days, years of my life. They are worth travel, expense, collecting all their shit, and my undying love.

but all good things must end, and I would rather they end before they release anything truly embarrasing.
Old 11.04.2011, 10:47 AM   #2
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I felt like this was going to be something to read, but I lost interest here: "on a fucking acoustic guitar of all things"
Old 11.04.2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Don't worry NR, Rob will always continue to make close-minded blanket statements like that.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2011, 10:53 AM   #4
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
For all the great tunes on the last 3-4 SY albums, if you are honest with yourself, you will see that they are basically SY-Lite. They lack a cohesion of force. It may be my own opinion but that is what it feels like. The last album I was 85% in love with was Sonic Nurse. The Eternal seems like a collection of half-assed SY, much like what I felt during the EJST&NS era. I thought that SY was done then. They mended the fences and continued on with great stuff, but the end was near. It could be felt.

SY are worth hours, days, years of my life. They are worth travel, expense, collecting all their shit, and my undying love.

The second quoted paragraph I should not have to say I cosign with all my heart.

The first paragraph I humbly disagree with, and I take umbrage with "if you're being honest with yourself." Well then. Being 100% honest with myself, I think "The Eternal" is their best record since "A Thousand Leaves." As good as? No. But it's a light year or so ahead of "Rather Ripped."
Old 11.04.2011, 10:56 AM   #5
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
As always though, Rob, I admire your passion. I also look forward to 2015, when I will be able to see the future. Oh shit, "Skip Tracer" lyric mystery solved.
Old 11.04.2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
just sayin what I feels.

I love sonic youth more than is healthy.

I want the skronk which they used to provide, but i get that from other sources now.

what is musical fandom if not individual blanket statements?
I hated when Nirvana did Unplugged. I still hate it. It is my choice to do so. Playing acoustic versions of songs whose main draw for me was their pummelling onslaught just doesn't appeal to me.

so what?

all instruments are NOT created equal.
Old 11.04.2011, 02:30 PM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I felt like this was going to be something to read, but I lost interest here: "on a fucking acoustic guitar of all things"

so you're being closeminded about being closeminded? sensitive about acoustic instruments much?

We (the SYG) are all talking around the inevitable and why not face it? I really do not want to see SY in 10 years playing the halftime super bowl, or whatever sad shit rotten meat like the rolling stones have to do.

I love all SY music, even that which I badmouth, but I also love the IDEA of SONIC YOUTH, that a band can do what they have done, and for two of them to do it as a long-standing marriage, with the ability of all to do side projects as they saw fit, always exploring, always trying new shit. Never really making music for mass consumption and regurgitation.
That idea lives forever for me, regardless of band breakup, Kim Thurston break up.

Nothing lasts forever

Nothing stays great forever either. Sonic Youth have not crossed the UN-greatness line yet. I hope they never do.
Old 11.04.2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
The second quoted paragraph I should not have to say I cosign with all my heart.

The first paragraph I humbly disagree with, and I take umbrage with "if you're being honest with yourself." Well then. Being 100% honest with myself, I think "The Eternal" is their best record since "A Thousand Leaves." As good as? No. But it's a light year or so ahead of "Rather Ripped."

I would expect nothing less, J to the B.

I myself am deeply fond of about 85% of Rather Ripped we like what we like.
no deal.

Thurston will keep on Neil Youngin' it for a while, I will buy all the albums, save them for when I am in the mood for them, and enjpy them then. I know they are quality, like Neil Young's stuff, but I know right now it is not what I want to hear from him. T RAWKS harder than most anyone alive when he feels it. I hope he feels it again.
Old 11.04.2011, 02:38 PM   #9
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
ok, you want me to talk real talk. I don't want my favorite band to break up. At all. If they stayed together 10 yrs, they would not be invited to play the super bowl. They'd be doing smething interesting on their own terms, just like the last 30 yrs. I'm devestated by the prospect of losing that annual "what will SY release THIS year" thing. They're the only band I care about in such a way. And the only band I have cared about in such away for so many years (more than a third of my life). The truth is, I'm not good with change -- in any way really. And this to me is just sad. I'm all for "facing it" if that means not having all the stupid fucking threads that have been started about it ad having something honest instead. I'm all for honesty. But my facing it is not embracing it. I don't want it, nor do I think it's a good thing or that it's them avoiding embarrassment. My facing it is just admitting how sad it will make me.
Old 11.04.2011, 02:53 PM   #10
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Kim doesn't put up with that kumbaya shit either, Rob, why should we?

go back to Camp Minifukfuk, you dirty hippies!!!
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2011, 02:54 PM   #11
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
God...all of this SY talk is REally getting me down. I am a newbie fan by your guys' standards. I mean...I've only been listening for about 8 years now and they have been my favorite thing since then. They've opened up my world in more ways than jsut musically. And...I wish I can continue but I have errands to run. maybe later. see you doods.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2011, 03:23 PM   #12
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
but all good things must end, and I would rather they end before they release anything truly embarrasing.

NYCG&F??? C'mon, admit it people. Seriously.
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2011, 03:28 PM   #13
noisereductions
invito al cielo

admit what? I love NYCG&F.
Old 11.04.2011, 06:38 PM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I don't want them to break up either man. I don't. I wish that the ideal wuld happen, that the 5 (ibold too) could all rock forever.

As my brother said once
"All my heroes are dead"
Old 11.05.2011, 03:05 AM   #15
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
They have to blow our minds at least once this decasde. XCOMCE ON SCONCI YOUTRH@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2011, 03:30 AM   #16
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I disagree with Rob about the quality of Rather Ripped and Eternal and Thurston Soloīs, but agree about that itīs better to split than make something embarrasing (I donīt believe SY ever do that, but of course I could be wrong). If SY will split, I think it would be the great end with the Eternal (or SYR9 whatever you liked to see it).
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2011, 07:23 AM   #17
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
how can it be assumed they will make anything so "embarassing" as to be considered their "worst", if they do proceed with another album?

remember "assume"-ing can really just make an "ass-out-of-you-and-me"

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2011, 07:57 AM   #18
badgercorn
bad moon rising

badgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's asses
Was thinking about SY compared to REM, who formed basically at the same time, and how much more consistent SY are. And REM's split has generally been accepted as the right thing to do. But then REM, who I love, have released some things that are truly embarrassing. *sigh*
badgercorn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2011, 09:58 AM   #19
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
ok, you want me to talk real talk. I don't want my favorite band to break up. At all. If they stayed together 10 yrs, they would not be invited to play the super bowl. They'd be doing smething interesting on their own terms, just like the last 30 yrs. I'm devestated by the prospect of losing that annual "what will SY release THIS year" thing. They're the only band I care about in such a way. And the only band I have cared about in such away for so many years (more than a third of my life). The truth is, I'm not good with change

^^^this, exactly as far as i'm concerned.
Old 11.05.2011, 11:15 AM   #20
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Finally some posts I find interesting to read. Rob seems to vaguely hint at something about SY which I don't see discussed on this forum much: Their relationship with visual arts. I do wonder if I would have been a fan of theirs for so long if it wasn't for this aspect of the band. That's why to suggest Kim Gordon is a replaceable member of SY is downright insane. She is as intengral to the band Sonic Youth as any other member. Also, her presence is strongly felt on many of their greatest songs.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth