Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped is awesome!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.28.2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
Old 07.28.2006, 09:56 PM   #2
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Dude it totally is.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2006, 10:01 PM   #3
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
'bout fuckin' time it got some recognition.

Rather Ripped Rawks !!

So does disc 2 of the deluxe edition of 'Dirty' which I have on right now !!!!!!

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2006, 10:06 PM   #4
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Hell yes! RR and Dirty are the two best Sonic Youth records.

Old 07.28.2006, 10:21 PM   #5
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
Hell yes! RR and Dirty are the two best Sonic Youth records.

Kinda weird.....

but I got into Sonic Youth about the time of 'Dirty'....then sorta faded, and just recently got rejuvenated with them and have been on a spree. I've gotten EVOL, Sister, DN, GOO and DIRTY deluxe editions, Murray Street, Sonic Nurse and Rather Ripped just recently...and am really diggin' all of em....I need Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves now...I'm been reading that thread.....and then...what's the one from about '95 ?...

Miles Davis
Old 07.28.2006, 10:46 PM   #6
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine is from 95, I think. You need Bad Moon Rising, Made in USA, Sonic Youth, Confusion is Sex, NYC Ghosts and Flowers....and the list goes on and on...

Old 07.28.2006, 10:53 PM   #7
against_the_grain
stalker

Well yeah..there's a bunch. The one I'm thinking about is the experimental jet set thingamabob....

All those other's will come in time. I had NYC ghosts and flowers and just couldn't get into it...but that was 6 years ago or so...

Miles Davis
Old 07.30.2006, 09:09 PM   #8
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
"Rather Ripped" should have been called "Rather Lazy to make a good record so we're just going to turn out a lame record and pass it off as another 'kool' example of our hipster infalability". Seriously, Rather Ripped is not a very good record. You wanna hear a really good record? Listen to Mercury Rev's "Yerself Is Steam". This record wipes the floor with "Rather Ripped" and then rinses it down the drain so it can be in the sewer where it belongs!!!!!

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2006, 09:51 PM   #9
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
Aren't there thousands of examples that do that to Rather Ripped though?
Old 07.30.2006, 09:55 PM   #10
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
"Rather Ripped" should have been called "Rather Lazy to make a good record so we're just going to turn out a lame record and pass it off as another 'kool' example of our hipster infalability". Seriously, Rather Ripped is not a very good record. You wanna hear a really good record? Listen to Mercury Rev's "Yerself Is Steam". This record wipes the floor with "Rather Ripped" and then rinses it down the drain so it can be in the sewer where it belongs!!!!!

Yerself Is Steam sounds very dated now.

But, I have to say that Rather Ripped totally RuLez.

Old 07.30.2006, 09:55 PM   #11
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
too many reviews saying things like "rather ripped... more like rather not good" enouh is enough. i hope you didn't write that, kingcoffee.. i havent read thw rest of this thread, so it could have been forom something else...just be warned, i'l fight you faster than you can saying "Rather Ripped?? more like Rather dumb!"

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2006, 10:58 PM   #12
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
it is a good solid album but it is not brilliant, however it does sound fresher than most of the stuff that is around. and hey it is their last geffen record, can't go past the syr series and all the other recordings of free improv etc that the band have been doing in between.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2006, 08:01 PM   #13
bikinikillbillchillthrill
empty page

bikinikillbillchillthrill has tongues queuing up for a rim-festbikinikillbillchillthrill has tongues queuing up for a rim-festbikinikillbillchillthrill has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
R.R () is a brilliant album!!!! IS my second best Summer Soundtrack album along with The Greatest and At War with the Mystics!! Can'T WAit to experience it LIVE!!
bikinikillbillchillthrill is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2006, 08:04 PM   #14
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I love it, not as much as Murray st., but I love it.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2006, 08:09 PM   #15
touch me i'm sick
expwy. to yr skull

touch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

oh snap!
touch me i'm sick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2006, 10:27 PM   #16
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
too many reviews saying things like "rather ripped... more like rather not good" enouh is enough. i hope you didn't write that, kingcoffee.. i havent read thw rest of this thread, so it could have been forom something else...just be warned, i'l fight you faster than you can saying "Rather Ripped?? more like Rather dumb!"

I never said Rather Ripped more like Ratehr dumb. And fuck you. I'll say what I want. It's my opinion on what I pervieve is a crappy album. And you wan to fight me over an opinion of a rock album? Well fuck you! Her it comes again: Rather Ripped sucks, Rather Ripped sucks, Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped suck Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks Rather Ripped sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There! Whatdya wanna do? What..whatdya wanna do?

Old 07.31.2006, 10:28 PM   #17
touch me i'm sick
expwy. to yr skull

touch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's asses
leave my hubbie alone!!!
touch me i'm sick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2006, 10:30 PM   #18
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinikillbillchillthrill
R.R () is a brilliant album!!!! IS my second best Summer Soundtrack album along with The Greatest and At War with the Mystics!! Can'T WAit to experience it LIVE!!

At War With the Mystics wasn't a very good record either. I think it was better than Rather Ripped, but it was the weakest album since Flaming Lips' debut. It's only a half interesting record. They're synthesized pop sound has grown stale very quickly. I heard they were going to do a more guitar oriented album and I nearly jumped for joy. I thought they were going to do something in the vein of Hit to Death or Transmissions and they end up with something between Prince and Beck. Half assed album.

Old 08.01.2006, 12:51 AM   #19
the burninator
empty page

the burninator ain't too shabbythe burninator ain't too shabby
i can play incinerat but I can't spell lmao
Old 08.01.2006, 08:50 AM   #20
bikinikillbillchillthrill
empty page

bikinikillbillchillthrill has tongues queuing up for a rim-festbikinikillbillchillthrill has tongues queuing up for a rim-festbikinikillbillchillthrill has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Quote:
At War With the Mystics wasn't a very good record either. I think it was better than Rather Ripped, but it was the weakest album since Flaming Lips' debut. It's only a half interesting record. They're synthesized pop sound has grown stale very quickly. I heard they were going to do a more guitar oriented album and I nearly jumped for joy. I thought they were going to do something in the vein of Hit to Death or Transmissions and they end up with something between Prince and Beck. Half assed album.

well I agree it's not their TOP album but it's more decent and engaging compared to any other guitar-rock kool crap albums that I've recenlty heard. +Saw them live recently and it was the most amazing experience of the year.The whole album works really well in a live situation. I disagree with the Prince/Beck stuff , it all depends on our pesonnal taste and knowledge in music I suppose.
bikinikillbillchillthrill is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth