Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page DDN in 5 mins
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.08.2017, 07:25 PM   #1
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
https://pitchfork.com/tv/56-liner-no...-in-5-minutes/
Old 11.08.2017, 09:01 PM   #2
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Literally just watched this on Pitchfork.

HATERS: It was the only thing I clicked on Pitchfork this week, so shuddup.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.10.2017, 01:43 PM   #3
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Literally just watched this on Pitchfork.

HATERS: It was the only thing I clicked on Pitchfork this week, so shuddup.

What, you didn’t read the review of the new Taylor Swift record? I just picked up a copy on 180 gram red vinyl - thanks Pitchfork!
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2017, 06:34 PM   #4
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
What, you didn’t read the review of the new Taylor Swift record? I just picked up a copy on 180 gram red vinyl - thanks Pitchfork!

I didn’t read the review of ... uh... what’s the last album that was good? Like, Ben Frost or Fever Ray, maybe? Albums I really liked. I legit don’t read like three reviews this year. Certainly not Taylor.

ETA: Wow what a butchery of language I made of this post!

What I meant was: I really don’t read the site. A few albums a year. I peruse. If there’s a 5-minute video in Sonic Youth, I will watch it. If there’s a list, I will look at the top 20 and bitch. I think the only reviews I’ve can remember reading this year for Damn and 4:44.
Old 11.13.2017, 01:19 PM   #5
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I didn’t read the review of ... uh... what’s the last album that was good? Like, Ben Frost or Fever Ray, maybe? Albums I really liked. I legit don’t read like three reviews this year. Certainly not Taylor.

Around 10+ years ago when Pitchfork was still worth checking out, I remember them playing an April Fools joke. On April 1st they featured reviews by Avril Lavigne and others of that sort. They stated they had sold out to a corporation and to stick around and check it out. Fast forward to November 13th, 2017 and today’s feature review is the new Taylor Swift album. They even give a separate article about her upcoming tour! I’m not here to bash Taylor Swift or anyone who likes her, but Pitchfork has become the embodiment of an April Fools joke. Pathetic.
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2017, 08:46 AM   #6
dasx
children of satan

dasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's asses
For me "Daydream Nation" is probably the most important album in the history of rock music. It totally changed my way of thinking what you can do with guitar, bass & drums.
dasx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2017, 03:36 PM   #7
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for the link

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2017, 09:00 PM   #8
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
Around 10+ years ago when Pitchfork was still worth checking out, I remember them playing an April Fools joke. On April 1st they featured reviews by Avril Lavigne and others of that sort. They stated they had sold out to a corporation and to stick around and check it out. Fast forward to November 13th, 2017 and today’s feature review is the new Taylor Swift album. They even give a separate article about her upcoming tour! I’m not here to bash Taylor Swift or anyone who likes her, but Pitchfork has become the embodiment of an April Fools joke. Pathetic.

Times have changed though. Genres are less significant than they once were, and Taylor is big. Pop is now “cool” in a way it wasn’t 10 years ago. Also, Pitchfork sold to Condé Nast, so... I kinda feel for them. Extra money, but they’re more limited in how radical they can be. Serves them right though. Some of those early reviews, where the writer would take the reader through an entire Seinfeldian life anecdote before even mentioning the name of the album at hand were goddamn atrocious.

And they made the decision EARLY on to modify their editorial opinions based on the ebb and flow of trends. They deleted reviews, they have these weekend old album reviews now that allow them to retcon their initial shitty review of, say, I dunno... Nine Inch Nails’ “The Fragile.” Now that NIN has a place in the world of pseudo-underground cool, they no longer think the album is a 2.0. NOW it’s an 8.5 or whatever the fuck.

Really very stupid. All of it.

The Needle Drop is no better. That asshole always hates the best shit! Who the fuck gives Burial’s “Rival Dealer” a crap review? What kind of sick mind must that shit take? Fucking sicko.
Old 11.16.2017, 06:16 AM   #9
Massenvernichtungswaffen
stalker

Massenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's asses
Neat. Thanks for posting.
I don't take music critiques very seriously unless the person doing the analysis is actually a musician of some form, even just a home player of an instrument.
Dudes like Needledrop that can talk the talk, but not walk the walk in any form.. yea. Fuck that guy. I wouldn't expect him to truly appreciate the finer points of certain records, because you sort of need to have your boots wet in really playing an instrument or even writing songs to really be able to talk shit about other people's music. Especially if you're judging them on so many levels.

"so you wanna impress Christgau? Na, let that shit die"

Jeg kysser katastrofer.

Massenvernichtungswaffen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2017, 08:17 AM   #10
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
while I do check w/ Pitchfork fairly often - I read very few reviews there. It's more a place I look as a reminder "oh, that album's out! Right." TBH, I feel like the old guy at the party more often than not. I don't even know who like 60% of the artists they talk about are.

At any rate, to echo Sev's post - yeah, they're kind of a joke journalistically as far as changing scores and deleting reviews goes to suit their current coolness. It's really lame. And honestly, that NYCG&F review sort of defined Pfork's shortcomings to me ages ago.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth