Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page ATP/Don't Look Back is just taking the piss now
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.01.2010, 08:54 PM   #41
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Dinosaur Jr playing Bug is sweet news to me.

They've YET to play Let It Ride since the reunion, No Bones pops up in the sets once every great while, Pond Song and Don't were only played a couple times, They Always Come has yet to be played as it was performed on Bug (J doesn't sing all of the parts), and Yeah We Know completely disappeared from the sets a long time ago.

Should be a cool set for Dinosaur considering they don't play most of the record.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2010, 02:39 PM   #42
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
I just wish they were less predictable. They should get the Angry Samoans to do "Back at Samoa" or something like that.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2010, 05:43 PM   #43
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
I don't really have a problem with the concept, although I generally prefer a normal gig. In the case of Sonic Youth for me it was very exciting to see them play songs they hadn't played in 20 years, from what is considered a landmark album and one that I have listened to maybe a thousand times, while being too young to have seen them do it in 1988. To be honest those Daydream Nation shows I saw were the only Sonic Youth shows I really enjoyed in the last 4 years, between the two Rather Ripped shows I saw and one on The Eternal tour.

I think the nostalgia element is not so much the Don't Look Back series themselves as it's the bands who are reuniting left and right to do them. If it's really an album that hasn't been touched in 15-20 years then I can see a point, but what bothers me a bit is that it's often used as a marketing tool to brand some perfomance as exclusive, while in reality it is just another show. Some examples:

Slint performing Spiderland. It's not like they weren't already playing all those songs anyway. Or that they even have enough albums to NOT play most of them. Or that they needed to make it a "special" gig, since it was their first time ever in Holland anyway. Or that they needed to make their show any more boring by taking out the element of not knowing what song is being played next. Talk about a band who sound EXACTLY the same live as they do on record, that's Slint.

Boris playing Feedbacker on ATP NY. Whoa, a special set of Boris spending 35 minutes of their set playing Feedbacker!??? For fuck sake, they were playing it all the time 4-5 years ago, same with Flood after that. I bet they'll be doing that EXCLUSIVELY at the next ATP NY? Sounds awesome!

Sleep performing Holy Mountain last year on ATP vs the Fans. As if a one-off Sleep reunion in the original lineup wasn't exclusive enough already, they needed to make it "Sleep performing Holy Mountain". I mean how many albums do they even have? Thank God they didn't play the album in order, so I guess it doesn't really count... best 2 shows I saw in 2009.

GZA performing Liquid Swords. On my CD player it last about an hour. When I saw him do it live he only needed 40 minutes, skipping verses left and right while rushing his way through it. Why even bother in the first place? I would've preferred a "normal" show.

Stooges performing Funhouse in London a few years back. A big fancy ATP announcement like a year in advance and then just The Stooges playing the same songs as they always play, except starting with Funhouse in order, then followed by the rest of the songs. I don't mind them cashing in though, since they never got to make any real money in the 70s, except maybe for Iggy with his solo carreer.

Actually, I don't mind any band cashing in if they want. But I agree that Don't Look Back is getting a bit tacky. Not just ATP though, there are plenty of bands who have been doing the same concept outside of ATP (Pixies, Slayer, etc...)
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2010, 05:48 PM   #44
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker
Do you read Mojo as well?

I think it's drownedinsound they read... Ghostchase and them other ATP fanboys.
Old 09.02.2010, 06:25 PM   #45
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Am I the only one who thinks Soft Bulletin is the worst Lips album?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2010, 06:38 PM   #46
viewtiful alan redux
the destroyed room

viewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's asses
They should fuck with people and make a counter festival where bands play their worst album in its entirety. YOu could have:

Bob Dylan playing "Dylan" in its entirety, for the first time, to be bootlegged and obsessed over by Dylan heads on the internet who dont have enough thoughts of their own so they obsess over what he thinks. It'd be a cult classic

Neil Young Playing "Landing on Water" from beginning to end... only a few people would be there... most of them lost or just way too stoned... another odd episode in the career of Neil Young

Smashing Pumpkins play the unpopular Machina in its entirety... this surprises no one in the music press, and few care. Billy Corgan blames someone else.

U-God plays one of his albums, any of them, so that the festival can sport some ethnic, (and therefore, hip) acts

And, for god knwos why, New Radicals are there palying htere whole alubm... clips will probalby be unused... few attended. Waste of time
Old 09.02.2010, 06:38 PM   #47
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I quite like the idea of a band returning to something after a significant period of time and reproducing it in terms of where they are now as a band. More like they were covering their own songs. That could potentially be really interesting. But as a simple excercise in nostalgia (which is all I think it is 90% of the time) it really does mark an end to something.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2010, 06:41 PM   #48
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Boris playing Feedbacker on ATP NY. Whoa, a special set of Boris spending 35 minutes of their set playing Feedbacker!??? For fuck sake, they were playing it all the time 4-5 years ago, same with Flood after that. I bet they'll be doing that EXCLUSIVELY at the next ATP NY? Sounds awesome!

i totally disagree w/ this...perhaps it was because i caught onto them relatively late (4 years ago), but they've never played a song off Feedback in the four shows i caught from 2006-09 until the ATP/NY performance last year. it still ranks as one of the top live shows i've ever seen, totally amazing. and the set was ~50 min, all Feedbacker and nothing else. like it should be.

i completely agree w/ Slint.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2010, 06:43 PM   #49
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Boris should just play Flood forever..

Old 09.02.2010, 06:48 PM   #50
viewtiful alan redux
the destroyed room

viewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's asses
Akuma no Uta or Smile
Old 09.02.2010, 06:54 PM   #51
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Those are their worst albums imo. I don't like their "Rock" stuff, and the band themselves don't either, admitting it was silly of them.

Feedbacker, Flood, Absolutego, and Amplifier Worship are their best.

Old 09.02.2010, 06:57 PM   #52
viewtiful alan redux
the destroyed room

I haven't listened to any of those yet. I haven't been able to find them yet
Old 09.02.2010, 06:59 PM   #53
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus
i totally disagree w/ this...perhaps it was because i caught onto them relatively late (4 years ago), but they've never played a song off Feedback in the four shows i caught from 2006-09 until the ATP/NY performance last year. it still ranks as one of the top live shows i've ever seen, totally amazing. and the set was ~50 min, all Feedbacker and nothing else. like it should be.

i completely agree w/ Slint.

They used to play it a lot. I saw them do Feedbacker twice out of 3 times I saw them in 2005-2006, then in 2007 they did Flood for about 50 minutes (out of a 90 minute set), then the times I saw them after that it was always mainly songs from Smile (and sadly I'm not sure if I would bother nowadays after their recent output).

But my point is that it's hardly a classic album if they played it live regularly as late as 2006. That's only 3 years between them touring it and Don't Look Back 2009. That's as if Sonic Youth would have been doing a Nurse or Rather Ripped Don't Look Back last year!
Old 09.02.2010, 07:00 PM   #54
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Weird. I've been listening to Absolutego for 10 years now!

Here ya go:
flood: http://www.mediafire.com/?sqxtmgaivbd
feedbacker: www.mediafire.com/?e0xf1nyb4lm
absolutego: www.megaupload.com/?d=8qobucdd -
amplifier worship: www.mediafire.com/?cmd40sh26fz

Old 09.02.2010, 07:10 PM   #55
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
They used to play it a lot. I saw them do Feedbacker twice out of 3 times I saw them in 2005-2006, then in 2007 they did Flood for about 50 minutes (out of a 90 minute set), then the times I saw them after that it was always mainly songs from Smile (and sadly I'm not sure if I would bother nowadays after their recent output).

But my point is that it's hardly a classic album if they played it live regularly as late as 2006. That's only 3 years between them touring it and Don't Look Back 2009. That's as if Sonic Youth would have been doing a Nurse or Rather Ripped Don't Look Back last year!

well you must admit that their profile was elevated mightily when Pink came out, so i'm one of the late bandwagon hoppers who missed out by a year or so.

atsonicpark, when did the band slag off those records?
Old 09.02.2010, 07:17 PM   #56
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

There's a bit of it here

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showinterview.php?id=2394

It's a really long article but he kinda talks about being bored with their more rock oriented records, calling it "cool rock".

If I search around a bit, I could probably find the other interview I read where they said Pink was a mistake and was a joke record (which I agree with), though they kinda touch on it in that article.

Old 09.02.2010, 07:23 PM   #57
narlus
100%

i thought their joke record was Vein
Old 09.02.2010, 07:38 PM   #58
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
i think the only weak boris release is the "noise" version of vein.

everything else kicks copious amounts of ass.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2010, 08:40 AM   #59
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
dronevil is another good boris record.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2010, 01:53 PM   #60
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
Who said anything about Don't Look Back performing ALL classic albums? I think its just another outlet for artists to play a solid and unique album that people would like to hear delivered in its entirety. Example; Sophia's "The Infinite Circle" and múm's "Yesterdays Was Dramatic - Today Is Ok". I'm very aroused and excited to hear these albums.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth