Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page so what do you guys think?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.07.2009, 04:06 PM   #1
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
so I work at pizza hut as a delivery driver sometimes and sometimes as a cook. my manager wants me to come in half an hour early so I can hold up one of those signs on the corner and shake it around. now I don't have a problem coming in early but I have a problem with employers that make their emplyees do the sign thing. it is just straight demeaning and shows a lack of respect towards the employee. aside from telling my manager to fuck off cause I'm not goin to do that, do you guys think I should have to do that? any suggestions as to what to say?
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2009, 04:07 PM   #2
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
change the sign:

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Kannibal
children of satan

Kannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's asses
rather disgusting way to work.
Kannibal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
so I work at pizza hut as a delivery driver sometimes and sometimes as a cook. my manager wants me to come in half an hour early so I can hold up one of those signs on the corner and shake it around. now I don't have a problem coming in early but I have a problem with employers that make their emplyees do the sign thing. it is just straight demeaning and shows a lack of respect towards the employee. aside from telling my manager to fuck off cause I'm not goin to do that, do you guys think I should have to do that? any suggestions as to what to say?

It all depends on what is printed on the contract I assume you signed when you accepted the job. If it doesn't mention humiliating yourself doing the sign thing, then you are perfectly within your rights to refuse to do it. If your manager throws a temper tantrum and sacks you for refusing, you can do him for unfair dismissal.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2009, 04:19 PM   #5
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I also agree that it's really demeaning to have to stand by the curb waving a stupid sign for God knows how long. I dunno. Maybe you could make up some medical reason or you're allergic to road dust or fumes or something like that.
I think it's fucking hideous to make somebody do that.
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2009, 04:26 PM   #6
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
It all depends on what is printed on the contract I assume you signed when you accepted the job. If it doesn't mention humiliating yourself doing the sign thing, then you are perfectly within your rights to refuse to do it. If your manager throws a temper tantrum and sacks you for refusing, you can do him for unfair dismissal.

that's something I was thinking but I'm afraid she'll probably say something about insubordination and undermining the authority of the manager. I mean, I don't have much but I would like to keep my self-respect. unfortunately, I know that this shit is part of life and working at shitty jobs like this.
Old 11.07.2009, 04:42 PM   #7
Conrad
stalker

Conrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's asses
At my old job, my manager asked me to go out into the mall and approach people to force fliers on them and fill their ears full of shit.

I did this to two people (one happened to be my friend and his mother haha) and fucking everyone else would see me standing there and go way out of their way just to avoid me.

So, I went in there and old the bitch that I didn't feel comfortable doing it. It's one thing if they're in the store, cause then at least you know they're slightly interested. But all those other poor little people did not deserve to be harassed.

Now I have this sneaky suspicion that I can't find a job cause the bitch has been saying how horrible I am when people call there for a reference.
Old 11.07.2009, 04:50 PM   #8
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
that's something I was thinking but I'm afraid she'll probably say something about insubordination and undermining the authority of the manager. I mean, I don't have much but I would like to keep my self-respect. unfortunately, I know that this shit is part of life and working at shitty jobs like this.

I've done loads of shitty jobs in the past which only lasted several months because I got fed up with the bullshit I had to put up with from the people in charge who I saw as nothing but insufferably condescending tin-pot dictators who liked to make themselves feel important by trying to make their staff feel small. I've always said they might feel they're a somebody in the firm they work for, but as soon as they're out on the street, they're a nobody.
Old 11.07.2009, 04:50 PM   #9
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

that sucks, dude. thing I don't get is why they need a fucking person out there. why don't they just get a sign or banner and put it outside? they're clearly trying to get people's attention by demeaning the signperson.

edit: to Conrad
Old 11.07.2009, 04:53 PM   #10
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Quote:
that sucks, dude. thing I don't get is why they need a fucking person out there. why don't they just get a sign or banner and put it outside? they're clearly trying to get people's attention by demeaning the signperson.

Yeah, what's wrong with using a sandwich board?
Old 11.07.2009, 05:32 PM   #11
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I would probably ask for increased pay for those hours. Can't say my dignity isn't for sell, especially considering that I don't find the board holding thing all that demeaning. It's just boring as fuck, isn't it. If the boss said no, then I would refuse. If the boss threatened me with firing, I would go about doing it but go back on the job hunt, as well. I don't need a job that gives me no respect.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2009, 05:35 PM   #12
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
put simply, don't do it
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2009, 05:40 PM   #13
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

if I didn't have any debt I would tell them to fuck off without even thinking. I still want to so bad. finding a job is so hard right now too
Old 11.07.2009, 06:14 PM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Did I read this correctly? You only have to do it for 30 minutes? Getting paid to hold a sign up, that's like the easiest job in the world. Money's money,
I don't see what the big deal is at all.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2009, 07:01 PM   #15
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

it's not about that dude.
Old 11.07.2009, 07:05 PM   #16
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

I mean, u can't hire a car salesman then tell
him his job is building houses
Old 11.07.2009, 07:16 PM   #17
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I am pretty sure a car salesman is usually considered a "career" (at least, when you're successful at it)... you work at Pizza Hut, what do you expect? I mean, my job is simply to stock frozen television dinners. If I'm asked to clean some floors or help some costumers, I don't really stop and go, "WELL, THAT'S NOT MY JOB DESCRIPTION." It's quick, simple, easy, and pays the same. So, uh, who cares? ... When you get hired as part of a company, you're, well, part of the company. Hence why you might be required to help out other aspects of the company. Hell, maybe your boss really trusts you and likes you and might give you a raise from it. No reason to raise a stink over 30 minutes of (non)-work.

I don't see how holding a sign is any more "demeaning" than telling people you work at Pizza Hut to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I don't find it demeaning -- a job is a job, and it's good you have a job, so if you want to keep a job, you might want to reconsider your position on this. It's not like he's asking you to clean shit out of a toilet or something. Then I could see you complaining.

No offense, but with this way of thinking, maybe for your next job/career you should make a list of things you will do and won't do on your application.

Kinda unrelated, but this thread kinda reminds me of my (spoiled) ex-girlfriend, she worked at Sears but demanded she would only work certain days and certain hours, no matter what (she didn't have anything else going on at the time) and they gave it to her. Then they tried to make her fold clothes and shit, and she said "No!" and eventually kept making all these demands until all she had to do was check people out. Then, she bitched to me later when she wouldn't the big raises and shit. I just don't really understand, working kinda sucks either way, but you're getting paid either way, so yeah. I mean, I dunno. I guess when I work at anything, I kinda aspire to be good at it and to make a good impression, even if it's some shit job. I don't see anything demoralizing about advertising a company by holding a sign.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2009, 07:46 PM   #18
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I would just be honest with her and say you really, really don't want to do that, are uncomfortable with it, etc. If she still makes you, don't try very hard at it. If you're a good employee otherwise, she shouldn't even consider firing you for only doing that part of the job poorly.

Unless she's just a bitch. Then, your situation sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Kinda unrelated, but this thread kinda reminds me of my (spoiled) ex-girlfriend, she worked at Sears but demanded she would only work certain days and certain hours, no matter what (she didn't have anything else going on at the time) and they gave it to her. Then they tried to make her fold clothes and shit, and she said "No!" and eventually kept making all these demands until all she had to do was check people out. Then, she bitched to me later when she wouldn't the big raises and shit. I just don't really understand, working kinda sucks either way, but you're getting paid either way, so yeah. I mean, I dunno. I guess when I work at anything, I kinda aspire to be good at it and to make a good impression, even if it's some shit job. I don't see anything demoralizing about advertising a company by holding a sign.
I get where you're going with this, but everyone is up for different things. I try really hard to please my manager at work because she probably hates the job as much as I do, and she's a respectable person, but if she ever had me clean shit out of the bathroom, I'd flat-out refuse. The manager is able to fire me if it's that big of a deal, but more often than not, they understand. And I'm good at my job, so firing me over that would just be a dumb decision.

It's all about weighing your options.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2009, 07:46 PM   #19
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
i'm with sir sonicpark on this 'un.

it's stupid, yeah, but i don't think it's absolutely unreasonable or awful request.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2009, 10:57 PM   #20
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

yr a moron. I'm one of the hardest workers there. I do all of the supid shit that you mentioned. the point is that's a completely different job than mine. if they want someone to do that, they should hire someone that is applying for that. it's just like a manager, insider, and a driver are all different jobs. they aren't all concerned with one thing but hey are still different. and who gives a shit if it's a career or not, I was just giving an example of a similar situation that could he applied to any other one. but for your sake I'll give you an example you can understand: you don't hire a lawnkeeper then tell him he has to clean yr house too.

edit: that was to atsonic

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth