Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page i saw a surprisingly good show last night...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.16.2008, 09:16 AM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i lvoe when this happens. my brother's friends play in some band called "elder", they are wicked generic lame doom metal, but it was a five dollar show in providence so i figured what the fuck and went anyways. but, brian gibson's newish metal band megasus was playing. though im not sure if i would sit at home listening to them on my headphones, these guys absolutley rocked it. i thought they were gonna be another boring doom metal band but i shoulda known better that someone like brian gibson wouldnt let his band be boring. they were more sludge than doom, but they also had a progressive thing going on, and were reminescent of the early amrep noise rock bands at times. gibson was surprisingly superb on drums, he really slayed, his style is similar to chippendale's, wicked fast wicked brutal wicked tight (but of course not THAT good), the guitar player was cool, his riffs were incredibly simple but he made some really good use of effects pedals and his riffs sounded kinda like a skronky electric wizard, and the lead singer was a madman, lots of audience baiting, pushing etc.. he nailed into my bad shoulder, which was cool because after the show he came up and apologized. i also talked to gibson, he said lightning bolt has been on an extended hiatus and that they are now just practicing. then a band called black cobra played. they sounded like high on fire. they were fine, but i wasnt into it. weedeater was supposed to play but didnt. sucked.

anyways, i love when this shit happens. you go to a show expecting to kill time, and end up having a blast.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2008, 09:18 AM   #2
al shabbray

sounds good, something like that is pretty rare here. it almost happens never
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2008, 11:15 AM   #3
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
yeah providence is a great city for shows like these. so much networking among the musicians through the ol' RISD/fort thunder scene. all those people play in multiple bands.

listen to pink reason
Old 08.16.2008, 02:34 PM   #4
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Providence spawned AOR, right?
Old 08.16.2008, 03:31 PM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Providence spawned AOR, right?

yes they were part of the fort thunder scene. it was a second floor of a warehouse of which was a civil war era textile factory, and apparently someone let these people use the place as an art gallery for the young artists of RISD and also as a place for those same art kids to play ridiculously loud music.

i didnt go to any of the shows untill the very end, in like 01. i was really young, but hung out with some older kids who were into providence noise rock. it is to this day some of the best shows and fondest memories ive ever had. its where six finger sattelite (thats right, six finger motherfucking sattelite) lightning bolt, arab on radar, forcefield, landed, mindflayer, black dice, and many other great bands played a lot of thier earliest shows. just one of those things im very glad i witnessed in any capacity.

listen to pink reason

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth