Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Made in USA
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.08.2007, 11:17 AM   #1
bestial
empty page

bestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud of
This record have been a little bit though to get hold of, I've lost loads of ebay acutions, where it's been sold for like $20 or more. But today I won! Got one for ~$10, but I'm not sure if it was worth it. So I though I would ask you people, some of you guys seems to have some knowledge about this kinda stuff.

The thing about it is, that it is a Japan-release, which sometimes means that it is worth _more_ than the US-versions, but could also mean that it is a copied record.

The cd is sealed and has the paper-sleeve you usually see on japanes records, and it's bought from a store on Ebay.

The description says:
"Sonic Youth - Made in USA, 1995 RHINO International [Japan Import] (UPC#4988029083548)"

Hope that anyone can help me.

And here's a picture of it.

bestial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 11:26 AM   #2
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
A soundtrack to an obscure 1986 movie, Made in USA captures Sonic Youth trying to fit their expansive ideas into the brief space allotted to incidental film music. Keeping the atmospherics but scaling back the noise, the band manages to evoke textures different from its albums, textures that are drier and less overtly avant-garde. Nevertheless, Made in USA doesn't rank among their finest work, not because it's on a smaller scale, but because it all sounds tossed-off; there isn't much thought to any of this music. Even so, the disc is still quite listenable, which shows how good the band was in 1985 and 1986. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide
Old 08.08.2007, 11:28 AM   #3
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
its wierd on amazon.com it has all differnt prices from 12 to 50 dollars
Old 08.08.2007, 11:28 AM   #4
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
looks pretty much "official" to me. dunno nuthin' 'bout a "special" japanese edition, though, maybe it's just the same cd exported for japanese market...
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 11:42 AM   #5
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
whats so special about that record that it sells for sooo much?
i like it a lot - its perfect for a hot summer night!
id really love to have it on vinyl... only got a cd copy.

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 11:56 AM   #6
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I found it pretty easy on the UK Ebay, picked it up for about £5. Its an extemely impressive record, In fact its one of my favouites.
Old 08.08.2007, 12:03 PM   #7
bestial
empty page

bestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud ofbestial has much to be proud of
Thanks for all the answers, and to "selloutteatre" I know _what_ it is. Just wanted to know if there where any less/more value in it.

And yeah, the price differs alot, but when I have been on to it I always lost it to some +$20-person. Don't know when you picked it up "Washing Machine" but it's sounds like it's worth it.

But maybe one should keep it sealed, for the future, to sell when I'm old and al my money's gone.
Old 08.08.2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I love Japanise editions, its quite a find
Old 08.08.2007, 12:13 PM   #9
bestial
empty page

Yes, I guess I just take it for what it is, a great record, In a great outfit.

I also got Silver Sessions for Jason Knuth today on ebay for the same price, soon I got everything (almost... atleast... hrm, 25, 26, 27 records)
Old 08.08.2007, 12:28 PM   #10
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Its well worth a listen, It deserves more respect than it gets

As Matthew Sterns put it:
"If you have a car, and there's a nearby highway; you'd be well served to find a copy of this record, wait for the sun to go down, get in that car, drive it to that highway, put this gorgeous, hidden gem on the player, hit the pedal (whilst playing close attention to how the headlights illuminate the underbellies of the passing trees and the stalks of grass along the road), and roll right on til morning, baby"

My friends and I have actually done the above many times to EVOL.
Old 08.08.2007, 12:41 PM   #11
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't heard it, but since the album was recorded very near the EVOL sessions does it have the EVOL sound? Cos I love that album so much.
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 12:49 PM   #12
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

It really is a sister album to EVOL, the imagery is much the same.
Old 08.08.2007, 01:07 PM   #13
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
I'm deffinitely going to get it then
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 01:42 PM   #14
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Lisa Caver's liner notes in EVOL explain the whole feeling of the record better than I can:

It was June, 1986. I was 17 - a New Hampshire native flying to Los Angeles with my best friend Rachel, 16, who dropped out of school to come with me. We didn't have any plans. We claimed our luggage and then the awful realization of our stupidity hit us - we didn't know where to sleep that night (or what to do after that). A kind policeman suggested we stay at a youth hostel. We did and hitched a ride the next day with an Australian named Ian who was going north (because Rachel decided she didn't like Southern California's trees). On the road, Ian pulled a knife and she screamed - then he cut a hunk of cheese. We finally ended up in Hayward, City Of Sin; about 50 used car lots, a cemetery and us. We had to give the landlord three months rent in advance because he thought we were runaways and was scared to have us as tenants. We rode the bus to San Francisco. While we knew some weird life existed (because everyone looked so bizarre), we didn't know a thing about it. We'd seen Sid and Nancy but this was something different, something happening in our time. We asked an employee at a record store to show us the good records. He picked records by SCRATCH ACID, LYDIA LUNCH, THE SWANS and SONIC YOUTH.

Lung leg - fierce! It is a terribly good thing for young girls to have fierce role models. Kim Gordon's bang is over her left eyebrow (making the brow look arched and thick). Rachel and I called her a "wind face." Another fierce female, Kim. Thurston Moore looks like he's about to saying something - and judging by the SONIC YOUTH videos that I've seen, he is. Steve Shelley looks about 12. Lee Ranaldo looks like the kind of guy who would write about car wrecks.

"Tom Violence" - I didn't know what it was about but I knew it was exciting because the world "violence" was in it. "I left home for experience" - me, too! "Carved suk for honesty on my chest." I was loyal to the truth, too. In fact, I spent so much time being loyal to the truth I got fired from Honeybear Yogurt. I had fantasies of Thurston Moore and David Bowie having sex. Why? I have no idea. Rachel and I would elbow each other madly whenever we saw tall guys with floppy blond hair, but they always turned out to be surfers, not Thurston.

"Shadow Of A Doubt" - Didn't have the word "violence" in it - it was violence. Plunging headlong, silently, with great noise all around, to destruction. The bliss of near impact.

"Star Power" - Even the music is in love.
"In the Kingdom #19" - The ultimate hipster response to disaster; "Smoke and flames, All right." Horrible how they ran over the small animal. Actually, I think this story is about states of existence.

"Green Light" - This song and "Star Power" taught me about love. Before hearing these three songs, I thought love had to be on moors and everyone had to be made like beasts and then die. But love can be a beautiful, hazy-green light. Green means go ahead.

"Death To Our Friends" - Climbing and descending. There are all kinds of things you can climb and descend.

"Secret Girl" - I remember listening to this on a walkman by the pool at our apartment complex. I never went in the pool because a family of 12 were in there peeing all the time. Kim Gordon's urgent secrets told with little more than her breath transported me.

"Marilyn Moore" - Begins with Thurston calling his cattle home and getting pissed when they don't come home. Marilyn Moore is like Baby Doll in the moving poster. Housewife or sleazy woman on prescription drugs and welfare...who's not getting any.

"Madonna, Sean and Me" - I wanted to kill the California girls, too. I wanted to fire the exploding load! I wanted to find the meaning of feeling good. This song is, I believe, about getting really, really close to someone - almost inside them. Then I think these really close people in the song went out and did bad things, like the Manson family did.
"Bubblegum" - Rock me like a hurricane! Ride the hyena to the edge! That feeling that anything's possible is all over this album, but it's especially shining here.

These songs say dreams are real. I can't think of a finer guide than "E.V.O.L." for a young person just discovering the wide world. Here are songs of total exploration, no positioning oneself on the dark side or the anti-dark side. Here are songs of total freedom. Give them to your little sister on her birthday.

Lisa Crystal Carver
San Francisco
August 20, 1993
Old 08.09.2007, 11:23 AM   #15
purplebumblebee
bad moon rising

purplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's asses
Made in USA is indeed a great record, was all I listened to while studying for my school leaving certificate way back 12 years ago!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth