Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Spectre Folk[Requiem for Ming Aralia]
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.19.2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Bunbury
stalker

Bunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's asses
new 3 lobed cd
Quote:
"Leaping forth from a prior discography consisting of CD-Rs and cassettes, Spectre Folk's Requiem for Ming Aralia is a powerfully assured psychedelic folk statement. Spectre Folk is a one-man operation consisting of Pete Nolan (drums for the Magik Markers, Shackamaxon, GHQ, Virgin Eye Blood Brothers, Wooden Wand & the Vanishing Voice, etc.). Nolan's significant responsibilities elsewhere have made him into a man who rarely has a chance to slow down. Spectre Folk offers the listener the ability to glimpse at one of those rare calm moments and it showcases the delicately twisted calm bubbling underneath the drumming furor Nolan unleashes elsewhere. Ranging from atmospheric instrumental explorations to dark and moody sing-alongs, Requiem for Ming Aralia offers a little bit of everything for fans of 'out' music. From the opening moments of the first track to the final notes of the album-closing 'Bindi Clip,' Spectre Folk has crafted an extremely solid album packed with rich, full sounds. While Nolan definitively remains his own man and Spectre Folk displays the unique sound which permeates all of his varied projects, an astute listener will detect shades of both Jandek's loosely organized outsider folk and the free-wheeling ebullience of Ben Chasny both independently and simultaneously throughout Requiem for Ming Aralia."

has anyone bought it yet? what do you think about it?
Bunbury is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2006, 11:18 PM   #2
The 97th Hammer
bad moon rising

The 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard sucka
I've heard the last track "Bindi Clip" via the Justforaday blog and it's pretty decent. Has a good murky feedback vibe I'd use for mystical late nights/early mornings of despair. Might buy the album if I weren't broke, but I think the new MMs I'll get in a couple days will satisfy.
The 97th Hammer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 10:48 PM   #3
Bunbury
stalker

Bunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's asses
nice blog, thanks for mentioning it. if it wasnt for the name drop i would have never known it existed.

did you get the new mm yet? what do you think of it? i cant decide wether to buy it or inverted belgium.
Old 04.28.2006, 10:54 PM   #4
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i have the self titled cd-r and to tell you the truth is kinda meh, i like the first song but after that it's kinda meh.

i'll check out the bloggerfucker to listen to that track

EDIT:: that blog has the raddest no-neck blues band picture ever!!!

Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2006, 11:03 PM   #5
Bunbury
stalker

is it just me or does it sound like nose hair trimmers a bug zapper [mosquito killer?] and a questionable electric toothbrush being played? in harmony with one another
Old 04.29.2006, 12:37 PM   #6
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
i've always been curious about Spectre Folk... I'm going to see Pete Nolan and Marcia Bassett from Double Leopards perform a duo show on Wednesday... I'll shoot some lo-fi footage...might pick up a CD-R as well...
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2006, 12:39 PM   #7
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunbury
nice blog, thanks for mentioning it. if it wasnt for the name drop i would have never known it existed.

did you get the new mm yet? what do you think of it? i cant decide wether to buy it or inverted belgium.

new MM? if you are referring to a panygearic to the things i do not understand, then it is fucking awesome... best thing they've ever done...
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2006, 01:54 PM   #8
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
I think that NNCk photo is their 'official press photo' or something. I've seen it in a few places.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2006, 06:54 PM   #9
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i've been wanting to hear spectre folk/fone/whatever for quite a while. that GHQ CD was good, but virgin eye blood brothers are utterly rubbish.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2006, 11:13 PM   #10
The 97th Hammer
bad moon rising

The 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard sucka
I just got Panegyric... myself and agree on its' awesomeness. I heard part of the famous Belgian set played on a college radio show here but can't quite recall what it was like in relation. On the last Fusetron mail-order list I got there was a triple LP by a group called Valley of Ashes featuring members of MM, probably Pete I imagine.
The 97th Hammer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 09:21 AM   #11
Bunbury
stalker

Quote:
best thing they've ever done...
just got A Pangyric to the Things...and your right, it is definately the best thing they have done.
Old 05.10.2006, 09:58 AM   #12
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i quite liked panegyric, but i really don't think it's the best thing they've ever done. it's terrific, though.

there's something about magik markers that doesn't really make me excited
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 01:49 PM   #13
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

there's something about magik markers that doesn't really make me excited

Yeah they kind of suck.
Old 05.10.2006, 03:10 PM   #14
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Spectre Folk is the worst name for a band ever.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 03:20 PM   #15
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I admit I've only seen them once but they just didn't do anything for me. I'm sure they are cool people.....I just can't get into them.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth