Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page new vast aire solo album...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.06.2008, 08:49 AM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
vast aire, formerly of cannibal ox, has a new solo record out called 'deauces wild'. cannibal ox's record 'the cold vein' is still easily in the top 5 best hip hop records of the decade, up there with the ghostfaces and the mf dooms and the madlibs. this might be the only record that has gotten me excited about hip hop in the last couple years, other than the pretty consistent stream of excellent ghostface records. anyways, im gonna go pick this up today. has anyone heard it yet? if so, whats it like, beats wise and rhymes wise?

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 09:05 AM   #2
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Y'know, I really havent gone crazy over Vast's solo stuff. He has had some tracks here and there that I've liked a lot, but personally I think a huge part of what made COLD VEIN so compelling was El-P's production.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 09:24 AM   #3
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
his last album was shit, no doubt. everyone knows that. but i heard this album is really fucking good. of course lp had something to do with the cold vein being so great, but he cant take all the credit. the rhymes on there are phenomenal, ghetto haiku meets comic book geek fetishizing meets science fiction phiosophizing meets bithces and blunts posing. wow im high right now. anyways, vast aire is a gifted mc, he reminds me of raekwon, but thuggish geek as opposed to geeky thug. people think elp can walk on water or something, but hesa had some major misteps. that shit that came out last year was terrible. and the last aesop record was terrible. hes kinda lost the plot if you ask me.

listen to pink reason
Old 08.06.2008, 10:04 AM   #4
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Agreed. I'm just saying that the combination of Vast, Vordul and El-P was pure magic. I'd love to hear them (try to) recreate that.

That being said, "Supafriendz" by Vast and MF was really something.
Old 08.06.2008, 02:03 PM   #5
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
batreleaser, i think we have the exact same taste in hip hop. good job sir. ox was the shit, i saw them at the sy curated atp at ucla, and they fucking ripped it live. lemme know whow that new vast album is.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2008, 03:04 PM   #6
batreleaser
invito al cielo

no problemo my man

listen to pink reason
Old 08.06.2008, 03:05 PM   #7
batreleaser
invito al cielo

i duno why they never made a follow up record.

listen to pink reason
Old 08.06.2008, 03:12 PM   #8
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
i duno why they never made a follow up record.

i think they are,a track leaked produced by pete rock

but back in the day, a guy dissed them on a messageboard, elp said he was a bitch and would never talk shit to them at a show, and then he went to their gig and broke vordul's jaw, they played for a couple months after that but they apparently sounded completely shit and then they quit, that's the story as i know it
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 10:43 AM   #9
matt g
bad moon rising

matt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's asses
they put out a 12" single with rob swift doing production called 'cosmos' about 2yrs after 'cold vein' was released. then i think in 2006 the had a mixtape out, live at cmj called 'year of the ox' & that's the last studio & live output from this phenominal group. vast has stated in numerous interviews that the main reason that vast & vordul can't make the ox happen again is that vordul has too much drama baggage... shit like that they he can't get past to focus on being in the group. i don't know what the drama between them & el-p is, but i'm sure it all comes down to ego. i agree that the combination of all three personalities made canox what it was. i remember at the time it came out, most all of the hip hop homies i worked with at the time didn't get them, either said they were too electrinic, of too much like wutang. whatevs. year later, those same people were all about the ox, so maybe it just took time to sink in.
do you guys have the 'f word' single? the b-side is a song called 'life's ill' and it's the sickest track ever. agree?
matt g is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 11:04 AM   #10
noisereductions
invito al cielo

The released a CDR called RETURN OF THE OX, which I believe was a live recording of new tracks. Never got/heard it.
Old 08.07.2008, 11:31 AM   #11
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
"Life's Ill" is the best song to sample a Sweet song, at least.
Old 08.07.2008, 11:47 AM   #12
noisereductions
invito al cielo

By the by, on the earlier subject of El-P, though I definitely don't think that I'LL SLEEP was nearly as good as FANTASTIC DAMAGE, it did have some great songs. I certainly thought it was better than Aesop's new one (who hasn't Really impressed me since LABOR DAYS).
Old 08.07.2008, 11:58 AM   #13
matt g
bad moon rising

matt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's assesmatt g kicks all y'all's asses
^ditto

it's sad the the hip hop revolution of the early 2000's (defjux/anticon/mush/rhymesayers) has turned into sad attempts to fit in with indie rock, minimal electronica & bling rap.
matt g is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 01:00 PM   #14
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g
^ditto

it's sad the the hip hop revolution of the early 2000's (defjux/anticon/mush/rhymesayers) has turned into sad attempts to fit in with indie rock, minimal electronica & bling rap.

Co-sign. I loved all of those labels' output until around 2004 when a lot of major label hip hop (Ghostface, Cam'Ron, The Game, Clipse, Lil Wayne, etc)started to become really interesting. Since around that time I've noticed a decline that seems to stem from an identity crisis on the behalfs of the rhymesayers and defjuxes and anticons of the world.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth