Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page My city's compassion for the homless
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.20.2010, 09:47 AM   #1
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
This is kind of old news, but has been on my mind for awhile:

We have a large population of homeless people here in Downtown Jacksonville. A virtual greeting card was distributed via email to Mayor John Peyton, Jacksonville’s city council, members of the media and others by “Downtown Merchants & Residents” on Christmas Eve morning. The card contains degrading pictures of the homeless with sacastic captions.
You can see the card at this link: http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/openTheBox?sendevent=4d544d314d4459344f444e384d6a6 7794d6a6b304f54453d0d0a&sb=1

This disgusts me. What is this place coming to? There sure is'nt much Southern Hospitality left in the South.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 09:49 AM   #2
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
I just realized I spelled Homeless wrong in the title, sorry!

Old 01.20.2010, 09:56 AM   #3
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
totally inexcusable. The city authorities shouls realize that it hurts them not only morally but economically to have homeless in their midst.

When tourists or business get that impression they flee.

What I mean to say is that not only it is the proper moral thing to do but also the proper econimic thing to do....
Old 01.20.2010, 10:24 AM   #4
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

What upsets me is the fact that most homeless do not choose to be that way. Most have mental issues, or circumstaces happen in there life that they could not control. If you have nothing of course you are going to go to the downtown area to find what you need. This is one of the largest cities (landwise) in the entire world. A homeless person is going to hang out in the suberbs or rural areas, there are limited alleys and such for shelter. Maybe if they were allowed to use the public restroom they would'nt be pissing on the street.

Instead of making a mockery of them because the dowtowner's are holier than thou, they should try to do more to help them out. We will always have displaced people. We are also in the midst of a "poor flight" downtown, meaning the rich white people are now reclaiming the property they abandonded during the "white flight".Stripping the property away from those that have lived there since childhood. Our downtown has been impovershed and ignored for years. It's where the poorest of the poor took up residence in shanty houses. The new plan is to beautify it, and revive our historical buildings and neighborhoods for tourism and monetary purposes. Which is a great idea, but I don't think we need to blame homeless for the problem, and attack them during what is supposed to be a season of giving.

My husband's been skating downtown since we were 15, and as crazy as some are, the vagabonds down there are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They are people just like everyone else and deserve to be treated as such.

Old 01.20.2010, 01:16 PM   #5
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
florida is hardly considered 'the South'

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 01:18 PM   #6
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
If homeless people were nice then they would have nice homes with excellent feng-shui.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 01:34 PM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
florida is DEEP south man!
Old 01.20.2010, 01:45 PM   #8
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Up here the poor homeless have to deal with extreme weather some nights. Just like Jacksonville our founding fathers are trying to close down the biggest shelter in Worcester because of it's vicinity to downtown and city hall.
I agree that they are some of the realest people on this earth.
Old 01.20.2010, 01:47 PM   #9
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikangod
If homeless people were nice then they would have nice homes with excellent feng-shui.

or at least bleached assholes

Old 01.20.2010, 02:01 PM   #10
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
In NYC most of the homeless are families. Bloomberg's idea is to charge them rent for living in a shelter, like $1400 a month - that's more than I pay for rent in Manhattan! Obviously, THE MARKET DOESN'T WORK.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 02:09 PM   #11
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
bloomberg has no earthly idea what regular people pay to live.
Old 01.20.2010, 02:40 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
(Table of recorded Lynchings 1882-1968)

(state) (whites lynched) (blacks lynched) (total)
Delaware 0 1 1
Florida 25 257 282

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 02:59 PM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

florida fought for the confederacy. it is th soutthernmost US state. it is psissing on cuba. how is this not the SOUTH?
Old 01.20.2010, 03:17 PM   #14
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
The homeless are shot in my town. That's why you never see any around.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 03:34 PM   #15
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead

that depends on your position relative to the equator

pointing to it from patagonia i'd definitely say "no"

but looking at it from my the mid-atlantic region, it's a definite YES.

ok, miami might be a different kind of place (it's part of latin america really) but don't tell me that tallahassee and jacksonville and environs aren't as hicked-out as georgia or north carolina or tennessee, etc.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 03:50 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
that depends on your position relative to the equator

pointing to it from patagonia i'd definitely say "no"

but looking at it from my the mid-atlantic region, it's a definite YES.

ok, miami might be a different kind of place (it's part of latin america really) but don't tell me that tallahassee and jacksonville and environs aren't as hicked-out as georgia or north carolina or tennessee, etc.

no no my friend, "the South" has nothing to do with geography. It is a socio-cultural, politico-historical reference.. There are plenty of regions where you find "the South" outside of geography, like rural Michigan for example.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 06:00 PM   #17
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
those look really clean or perhaps just regular drunks that couldn't make it that particular day, they are not even crusty

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 06:22 PM   #18
davenotdead
invito al cielo

never been to tallahassee or some parts of the northwest corner of florida... but to my knowledge there's a lot of alabama transplants there...

as for the rest of florida, aside from parts of daytona and jacksonville, it's really not 'the South'.... listen to them speak. there's too many europeans. too many cubans/brazilians in the southern parts. tons of ny/nj/northern transplants on the western coast.

it's not the "South" , y'all

edit-almost forgot all the fuggin canadians down there, constantly

Old 01.20.2010, 06:33 PM   #19
davenotdead
invito al cielo

florida is too touristy / has too many attractions to be a southern town. too many transplants / too much fresh blood. the south is about old blood. about how many generations you can go back. it's about yacht clubs and private christian schools, and family names.

the most touristy acceptable southern landmarks are the coca-cola factory, the new georgia aquarium, and the atl strip clubs. those and forts/civil war sites, historic districts, myrtle beach, etc.

Old 01.20.2010, 07:33 PM   #20
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
in a nearby alternate universe, swa(y) the undeleted is calling you all feminist pricks and telling you that homeless people like it.

10 pages have already ensued.

I thought that you might like to know.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth