Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Most expensive Sonic Youth shirt ever?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.29.2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
https://m.bonhams.com/auctions/19800/lot/350/?page_anchor=MR2_q_2%3Dcobain%26MR2_lot_range_2%3D %26MR2_module_instance_reference%3D2%26MR2_list_gr id_result%3Dlist

See also.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2012, 04:43 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I think I want to throw up. Kurt wearing those random band's shirts helped to change the face of American mainstream music, helping to open the door for the DIY/Indie bands taking over the magazines and music scene. I don't think he intended it to be purely merchandising, he was just wearing shirts of bands he liked. Now.. what a shame.

I hope all the folks who picked up his shirts there in Seattle in 94 when Courtney was passing them out to fans on the yard actually appreciate them for what they are, sentimental attachment to a band we liked, and are not jumping on the sell it bandwagon..

I wouldn't pay more than 10 bucks for a Kurt Cobain t-shirt, but I'd take one in a heart beat, probably even frame it on the wall, but as a homage to art and music culture, not simply because it was Kurt's beat up, ragged old band t-shirt..

I also wonder how many forgeries are out there

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2012, 04:52 PM   #3
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
fetishism will never die. Its no more absurd than the Turin Shroud really, except that Jesus only really lost it after his first album.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2012, 05:43 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
interestingly I was just reading some Victor Hugo thinking the same.. the scenes of crowds at the mystery plays are not different than at any concert or sporting event today. icons and relics were just the fetishes of their time to the common droves. Just like kurt's t-shirts actually mean something to some people, surely icons and relics also have had real meaning, but to the everyday folks who glance at them, perhaps it is just TMZ from any century

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2012, 06:14 PM   #5
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
interestingly I was just reading some Victor Hugo thinking the same.. the scenes of crowds at the mystery plays are not different than at any concert or sporting event today. icons and relics were just the fetishes of their time to the common droves. Just like kurt's t-shirts actually mean something to some people, surely icons and relics also have had real meaning, but to the everyday folks who glance at them, perhaps it is just TMZ from any century

Im still waiting for Jesus' comeback, Chinese Democracy it aint.

Jesus will most likely get the crowd revved up with some of his old hits (care for the poor, dont be arrogant) before bringing it to a frenzy with the hits everyone knows and loves (poor people are poor because its their own fault, and you are most definitely right about everything)

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2012, 06:16 PM   #6
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Wow
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2012, 11:47 PM   #7
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think I want to throw up. Kurt wearing those random band's shirts helped to change the face of American mainstream music, helping to open the door for the DIY/Indie bands taking over the magazines and music scene. I don't think he intended it to be purely merchandising, he was just wearing shirts of bands he liked. Now.. what a shame.

I hope all the folks who picked up his shirts there in Seattle in 94 when Courtney was passing them out to fans on the yard actually appreciate them for what they are, sentimental attachment to a band we liked, and are not jumping on the sell it bandwagon..

I wouldn't pay more than 10 bucks for a Kurt Cobain t-shirt, but I'd take one in a heart beat, probably even frame it on the wall, but as a homage to art and music culture, not simply because it was Kurt's beat up, ragged old band t-shirt
i still cannot rep u fucker

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2012, 12:52 AM   #8
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I wouldn't pay more than 10 bucks for a Kurt Cobain t-shirt, but I'd take one in a heart beat, probably even frame it on the wall, but as a homage to art and music culture, not simply because it was Kurt's beat up, ragged old band t-shirt..

As far as DIY/indie going mainstream at least partially as a result of Kurt wearing his fav. band tees...sure. But who cares? For a while there people were listening to good music because of it. I mean, it's not like Sonic Youth and the Butthole Surfers don't wanna make money.

While I think the prices on stuff like this are a bit ridiculous, I don't think there is anything at all wrong w/ someone making serious coin on some ragged old shirt off of someone willing to spend that sort of cheese. I'd do it. Why does it matter?

Kurt wasn't some sort of priceless religious artifact. haha
Old 07.02.2012, 03:29 PM   #9
walss
empty page

walss has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait .. …
walss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth