Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Mix Tapes Round 3
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which word best describes me?
Chips 6 15.38%
Bin 1 2.56%
Kitchen 4 10.26%
Space 3 7.69%
Cruise 2 5.13%
Roads 4 10.26%
Beep 11 28.21%
Fireplace 7 17.95%
Create 3 7.69%
Sunday 6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11.06.2006, 11:50 AM   #161
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Aww, I hoped you were going to say that my tape from round two had finally reached you. I promise that as soon as I have moved house and got my records out of storage, one of the first things I will do will be to re-record that tape for you. Don't hold your breath while you wait for it though, I may not move house for two or three months yet.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2006, 01:48 PM   #162
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Does your postman look like the sort who would like the same sort of music as all of us, Nefeli?

HEY, POSTMEN ROCK YKNOW!!!!
Old 12.07.2006, 07:47 AM   #163
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I've popped home for lunch, and am most pleased to have found a round 3 mixtape waiting for me. Finding Nobody's, in fact, which I shall listen to this evening. A mixture of stuff I have and haven't heard, in more or less 50/50 mix.

Thanks, FN. And thanks, Pookie.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2006, 08:03 AM   #164
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I likewise had a tape in the post this morn'. It's called 'hate your girlfriend/ you're got a lot to live for', and doesn't seem to have a name on it. Review pending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2006, 09:41 AM   #165
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I'm looking forward to mine!

When people post that they've received a tape, are we supposed to identify ourselves as senders? Or is that to remain secret unless they inquire?
Old 12.07.2006, 09:48 AM   #166
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ok. gmku made my tape, according to the posts earlier in this thread. And I'll start with an apology: I'm sorry, but this tape is not to my taste. Really, really not to my taste.

Side1: Starts with the Pixies, who're ok. Enjoyable. The Redd Kross, who I can't stand. Then Royal Trux, who I don't care for. The Cows, who I haven't heard much of and won't bother investigating. Then ft (shadow government), who I quite enjoyed and hadn't heard of before. Then Talking Heads, who are ok, probably not my favourite track of theirs. Then the Stooges, who I'm ambivalent on. The the Modern Lovers, who bore me to tears. The J&MC, who are good, but a very, very obvious choice. Then the fucking Clash, who are shit. The the Undertones' teenage kicks, which I used to love but have heard so very, very many times now they make me sick. Then the Germs, who are shit. Then the Replacements, who are both an obvious choice and shit. Then the fucking Misfits, who are appaling.

Side 2. Devo. Don't like them. Neu. Good. The Dream Syndicate. Never heard of them, shit. The Pretenders. I was astonished that I actually quite enjoyed this song. David Fucking Bowie. I really, really, REALLY FUCKING HATE BOWIE. I've had him on two tapes now. DON'T PUT BOWIE ON YOUR TAPES PEOPLE. Awful. Really, cannot stand Bowie. Roxy Music. Fuck off, annoying voice. Cream. Fucking Cream. Why oh why would anyone put fucking cream on a tape for anyone? Utterly, utterly abysmal. James White and the Blacks. A welcome interlude of moderate dissonance in a sea of retarded, cliched fifths. Cheap Trick. Enjoyable. Nirvana. Captain obvious choice.

I'm sorry gmku, really I am, but this tape is very far away from my taste. I'm sure a lot of people would've loved this tape, but it's really not my thing. It's the obvious choices as well. I realise this isn't necessarily a game of 'out-obscuring' everyone else, but I like the idea of introducing people to music they were previously unaware of, and I reckon there's very few bands on this tape that everyone here hasn't heard of. It just strikes me as a bit...lazy?

Again, I'm really sorry. But you shouldn't have put Bowie on there. Really, I'd have done a fob-off response without Bowie. But Bowie makes me so very, very angry. Like I say, it's not to my taste. But my Dad is going to have it for his car, so someone's going to enjoy it, you needn't be too disheartened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2006, 10:19 AM   #167
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
No problem, Glice. To each their own.

I guess my record collection is pretty pathetic.

Did you care for the cover art at all?

In my defense, though, I wasn't making the tape to introduce anyone to music they might not have heard before. I imagine unless you and I were pub mates, I'd have no idea how to do that! And obviously, I'm not as hip or as well-listened as you. But I was trying to make an interesting mix of things I find interesting, in the hope that someone else would, too. Actually, it was a mix of different things I was listening to during that time (month or so) that I was making the tape. So, yeah--lazy? I guess so. But at least I guess I should be glad your dad's tastes are as awful and obvious as my own!
Old 12.07.2006, 10:21 AM   #168
gmku
invito al cielo

Birds are both funny and beautiful. Ever notice how they twitch they little heads nervously when they look around?
Old 12.07.2006, 10:57 AM   #169
gmku
invito al cielo

Glice fails to mention, or perhaps fails to notice, that I was at least a little creative in my Bowie track choice. 1) I used a track that's probably not played a lot, i.e., not from Ziggy Stardust et cetera but from Let's Dance, a minor work but one that has, in my lazy opinion, some (gasp) fun tracks, one of those being "China Girl"--and 2) on this tape I took the liberty of slowing the cut waaayyyy down via the turntable pitch control--down to the last notch, in fact--so that it almost sounds like Iggy Pop on qualudes. You hear Bowie really drawing the words out, and the beat is slow and heavy and lumbering. I thought it was a cool effect.

I also worked pretty hard at lining up tracks that mirrored one another or lead into one another in logical ways.

Even though Mr. Glice apologizes for not liking my tape, I have to admit, it does bother me that he calls me "lazy" about making the tape. I was one of the first to enthusiastically embrace Pookie's idea for a mix tape exchange, and I would not have contributed any tapes if I thought I were only going to work on them in a half-assed manner.
Old 12.07.2006, 11:02 AM   #170
gmku
invito al cielo

& I have to say--what's up with someone who doesn't like the Cows, for God's sake. The fucking Cows!!! They're genius! & on this track on the tape, they cover, of all things, 39 Lashings from Jesus Christ Superstar! Where's you sense of humor? Or do the uber-hip kids these days not have one of those? The more I read your review, Glice, I just wanna go, "Sheesh!"

If your dad doesn't want it, send it back. I'll pay postage. And I'll find someone else who will appreciate it, I'm sure.
Old 12.07.2006, 11:08 AM   #171
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
It's quite possibly a matter of taste,obviously.And yes,if someone put the J&MC and Bowie on a tape i'd jump onto the conclusions that:
1-They could have at least made the effort to think of the recipient as having more 'complex' or 'refined' taste or
2-They could have,say,at least put on xilinsupreme or else as a reference to one of the thousands of bands influenced by them.

What's wrong with speaking your brains?If someone didn't do just that we would have all ended up listening only to the usual suspects forever.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2006, 11:12 AM   #172
gmku
invito al cielo

This makes me cynical about the whole idea of an exchange like this. "the effort to think of the recipient as having more 'complex' or 'refined' taste"??? You're kidding, right? Because you normally don't come across as that pretentious or snooty. If you're not, fuck you.
Old 12.07.2006, 11:18 AM   #173
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
This makes me cynical about the whole idea of an exchange like this. "the effort to think of the recipient as having more 'complex' or 'refined' taste"??? You're kidding, right? Because you normally don't come across as that pretentious or snooty. If you're not, fuck you.
If you're calling me pretentious,you'd be right.If i wasn't like that to start with,i'd be listening to the same tunes forever.Don't get me wrong,i like you and all that but you can't always crucify someone for expressing an opinion regardless of it being of your liking or not.I don't always agree with Glice and that's the same for him but i respect the fact that,whatever the subject,he gives an honest account of himself,no matter what.

Old 12.07.2006, 11:25 AM   #174
gmku
invito al cielo

Fucking hilarious. Whatever.

Can't wait to get my tape. I hope it's from Glice or you so I can receive an honest albeit pretentious account of what I should be making tapes of.
Old 12.07.2006, 11:36 AM   #175
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Fucking hilarious. Whatever.

Can't wait to get my tape. I hope it's from Glice or you so I can receive an honest albeit pretentious account of what I should be making tapes of.
Oh,fucking hell!You're making this a campaign of hatred,Andrew.There must have been times when you made a tape for someone and when you asked them:'Did you enjoy it?' they replied:'Yes,i felt like jumping off a tall building'.If the recipient was a mate,you'd take it in like a man and still love your friend,wouldn't you?

Old 12.07.2006, 11:41 AM   #176
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Absolutely Nothing!

However, a little insight may be helpful to some......others very well may know where the reviewer is coming from.

Do you have him on ignore or what?

Old 12.07.2006, 11:46 AM   #177
gmku
invito al cielo

"Why oh why would anyone put fucking cream on a tape for anyone?"

"obvious" "shit" "lazy"

This isn't a review, it's an attack. I don't expect everyone to like the same music I do. That's not the problem. The problem is the hipper-than-thou rudeness of his reaction--sorry, it's not a review.

And the expectation that I would make a tape completely to his liking?!!! What planet does this kid live on? He wants me to have the same records he has, or better, ones he doesn't have, so I can be sure to enrich his life. Ridiculous.

And yeah, it doesn't seem like he really listened to the tape. Maybe if he listened and kept an open mind (gasp), he might come to enjoy it.

Seems to me one of the principle ideas behind an exchange like this is that you get a little peek into the world of music that's important to the sender. I didn't realize, I guess, that we were catering entirely to the recipient's tastes and whims.
Old 12.07.2006, 11:49 AM   #178
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
"Why oh why would anyone put fucking cream on a tape for anyone?"

"obvious" "shit" "lazy"

This isn't a review, it's an attack. I don't expect everyone to like the same music I do. That's not the problem. The problem is the hipper-than-thou rudeness of his reaction--sorry, it's not a review.

And yeah, it doesn't seem like he really listened to the tape. Maybe if he listened and kept an open mind (gasp), he might come to enjoy it.
For what i know him for,he's probably listened to that sort music 300000000000000 times before and that was his reaction to hearing it again.Also,i think there's a huge chunk of his tempestuous sense of humor that you are sorely missing,there.

Old 12.07.2006, 11:52 AM   #179
gmku
invito al cielo

I guess I could look at it that way. Right now his so-called review just makes me think he's an asshole with awful taste. But I'll try to lighten up and give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 12.07.2006, 12:02 PM   #180
porkmarras
invito al cielo

There's a thread somewhere where he professed his dislike for Bozza,go and find it.I personally like Bowie but i would have probably reacted the same way as him if someone would have put him on a tape that i had recieved.It is true that people react with the same ardent passion normally reserved for football matches when it comes to music but then that's the nature of the subject,isn't it?I don't think that he meant to be rude at all and the use of words like 'shit' etc is coming from someone who masters the english language well enough to allow himself the odd use of such words.But then,that's just me.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth