Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped? Disillusion.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.28.2006, 05:27 PM   #41
follow.blind
bad moon rising

follow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by shentov
disilussion my ass. the album is okay.
yes. the album is ok.

But...don't you feel err...the emptiness in the air :-) (as I said - I'm very sensitive person )

Ok, ok. I'll stop.

About "SY maturing" - I don't think so...I took Nurse as some kind of maturing or resumé of certain territories they've already covered/explored - and which they are able to cover...RR is some kind of -sorry- "SY in climacteric! Hey, open the window! " (in my opinion).
AND I DON'T THINK THAT'S BAD THING, I like the album, I listen to it almost every second day.

I still think there's really no evolution that one can expect from this great band...I am able to imagine Thurston realeasing RR as an solo record in 1994-5...

The funny thing is that all my friends (primarily Pearl Jam fans) really like RR, even if they were not interested in the most of SY stuff before.

Kim? What to say? She's amazing, inspiring and very talented artist - but really bad bassist (I wonder if she can improvise...just a little). But that doesn't matter.

Good night.
follow.blind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2006, 07:17 AM   #42
punknomuerto
little trouble girl

punknomuerto has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
lame threat follow blind
you always state the same points,

btw Rather Ripped is a great album, but i will only change its name to kim's Rocked Up
Old 06.29.2006, 10:00 AM   #43
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
CRAZY PHILOSOPHY ..... boring
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2006, 10:10 AM   #44
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
She looks like some junkie,anorexic,tramp version of you Saturnine.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2006, 04:20 PM   #45
follow.blind
bad moon rising

follow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's assesfollow.blind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by punknomuerto
lame threat follow blind
you always state the same points,

btw Rather Ripped is a great album, but i will only change its name to kim's Rocked Up

Ok. Maybe. I don't know your points...(except "Lame threat" and your big "Rocked Up" idea)

I don't believe that there isn't single fan inclining to the very similar statements...
I venture to say that there are much more silly (/lame) threats about Rather Ripped and there are pretty stupid statements: "Rather Ripped Rulez Dude" with main statement "FACT!" Yeah, pretty rockin' statement - rad and coool. Another: "It got FOUR stars in the latest edition of Rolling Stone Magazine!!!" etc.
I' happy that a lot of SY fans like the album.

Buck-passing applied on ourselves can be powerful....
...as I said:I like it too.
Old 06.29.2006, 04:33 PM   #46
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I agree that people who like the album aren't really supporting it with a lot of evidence. Hell, you can like any album you want, even William Shatner's albums as long as you can back it up with some degree of intelligent observation in a conversation about it. I've seen some intelligently supported arguements for the album, but they are few and far between. The same can be said for those who are less than thrilled with Rather Ripped and for those who down right hate it (although the latter is in the minority).

There should be more well-thought out and carefully studied discussion over people's opinions on the album. Comments like "it rules....fact", and "it's better than other albums" without giving any reasonable evidence for making such statements, are kind of lame. But comebacks like "fuck you" or "you suck" are equally annoying and ridiculous. I know this board is all about having fun and sharing ideas and discussions over the band, and I hate coming across as an arrogant parent-like figure here, but all the childish crap is just so fucking stupid and aggrevating. So let's all just get along in a fairly civilized manner and discuss our different opinions in an intelligent fashion.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 09:58 PM   #47
Idontcareican
empty page

Idontcareican has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Lee Ranaldo and Thurston were both playing professional level guitar when they came to Houston for Sonic Nurse. I mean, knowing what to hit and when without ambiguity, they were dead on proffesional. As far as the new Ripped album goes, there are some very strong songs. You could take the strongest songs from Ripped and Sonic Nurse and make a perfect album, representative of what Sonic Youth is today. To me at least, every Sonic Youth album gets better over time. I have found Ripped to be the same way. Im more impressed after every listen.
Idontcareican is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 10:30 PM   #48
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Rather Ripped Rawks

"Yes, I am a fag. Thanks for noticing!"
--HaydenAsche
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 10:33 PM   #49
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
They should have called the album Mr. Rawk-Bagawk, and put a picture of some hot chick on the front.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 10:40 PM   #50
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
I agree that people who like the album aren't really supporting it with a lot of evidence. Hell, you can like any album you want, even William Shatner's albums as long as you can back it up with some degree of intelligent observation in a conversation about it. I've seen some intelligently supported arguements for the album, but they are few and far between. The same can be said for those who are less than thrilled with Rather Ripped and for those who down right hate it (although the latter is in the minority).

There should be more well-thought out and carefully studied discussion over people's opinions on the album. Comments like "it rules....fact", and "it's better than other albums" without giving any reasonable evidence for making such statements, are kind of lame. But comebacks like "fuck you" or "you suck" are equally annoying and ridiculous. I know this board is all about having fun and sharing ideas and discussions over the band, and I hate coming across as an arrogant parent-like figure here, but all the childish crap is just so fucking stupid and aggrevating. So let's all just get along in a fairly civilized manner and discuss our different opinions in an intelligent fashion.
I think that the way it's discussed here is immature and ridiculous, and that intelligent conversation would be much better than these stupid two-word arguments.

However, I don't think there needs to be an intelligent reason to like something. It's very possible to like something for no reason at all, at least that you're aware of. I can't think of anything I feel that way about off-hand, but I'm sure I do. You just shouldn't expect anyone to care about your opinion if that's the case. If you intend to argue it, you should have a reason.

I like Rather Ripped because it's very easy to sing along to, I think it has pretty good lyrical content, and the melodies are very catchy. They give me that kind of, "Hey, I want to listen to that song now," feeling when I think of them. Ironically, none of these things have ever been my reasons for liking Sonic Youth. I like the CD because it falls nicely into my non-SY soft rock tastes. I suppose I was just lucky that they went this route instead of some other one that I may have disliked.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 10:42 PM   #51
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
I like it when it makes me say "Incinerate! Incinerate!"

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 10:47 PM   #52
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
It actually bugged me a little when he sang that differently on Letterman, without raising the pitch at the end of the word. I always subconsciously expect them to have memorized the exact tones and melodies they used on the CDs that I'm used to, and of course they don't because that would be stupid and pointless, but it throws me off a bit. Like they missed a word or something.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2006, 04:46 PM   #53
follow.blind
bad moon rising

I am listening to the "Gothic Theater Englewood, CO 2006-06-27" boot right now and I am surprised! Good show.
Old 07.02.2006, 08:42 PM   #54
Massenvernichtungswaffen
stalker

Massenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's asses
yea. they are sonic youth. i see no difference other than less energy on stage and in the tunes themselves. 25 years guys is a long time running to not have sore calves. anyhow, thurston is just eccentric in a special way. leave him alone, because his creative chordal work and his noise control are still going strong as ever and he is no less all over the place than they "all" were in the 80's and 90's. the guy's got a bigger battery than the other cats in the band... for christ's sake, he still looks no older than 34, and he's huge to boot. rant rant.
one more thing, steve shelley is entirely a metronome. he doesn't need to wig out all the time, that's what the space occupied by thurston, and lee is for. that's just how they do things. he's comparable to ringo in that sense. simple, but dead on, and very very appropriate.

Jeg kysser katastrofer.

Massenvernichtungswaffen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 02:49 AM   #55
ShermanLoper
little trouble girl

ShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's asses
I've loved every one of SY's albums for one reason or another. This new one is no exception. I'll have to let it age but at the moment I think I'll listen to it more often than some of thier others. Steve might not have any high points in the album but damn can that man play drums when he needs to. I'll have to pay attention to the drums next listen.
ShermanLoper is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 06:14 PM   #56
follow.blind
bad moon rising

Now I'm pretty sure that Rather Ripped IS BORING.
For example: I asked my friend (who works as bartender) to play Rather Ripped in the pub. He was like "isn't it too loud...or dissonant...?" I said "no, it's pop mainstream record..." After two song he started to play R.E.M. "It sucks, nobody cares about it...bad pop, silly rock, sorry..." And my friend isn't redneck - he isn't into SY but he's pretty good musician (non-snobish jazzman)...Sad.
Old 07.05.2006, 08:28 AM   #57
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by follow.blind
Now I'm pretty sure that Rather Ripped IS BORING.
For example: I asked my friend (who works as bartender) to play Rather Ripped in the pub. He was like "isn't it too loud...or dissonant...?" I said "no, it's pop mainstream record..." After two song he started to play R.E.M. "It sucks, nobody cares about it...bad pop, silly rock, sorry..." And my friend isn't redneck - he isn't into SY but he's pretty good musician (non-snobish jazzman)...Sad.

Ya know, that doesn't prove anything. It's cool that yr friend will actually play Sonic Youth in the bar, but his opinions of the record aren't exactly valid here. Lot's of people like the record and many people don't. I agree that sections of the record are boring, but the record on thwe whole still has some good material on it. It's just not fully realized. I think the band was in a bit of a rut. Just a small creative block. And if you don't like the album then why did you have yr bartender friend play it in the bar? That doesn't make any sense to me! It seems like such a strange move.

666th post!!! Evil!!!!!!!! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan!

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 09:03 AM   #58
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I fucking love th album, fom the very beggining it begins to rock me. i think sonic youth have stretched themselves yet againa nd recorded a garage-y pop stuctured, LOVE album. the album is about love. listen to it. it is beautiful and the songs are tight and strong and they soak into your brain just enough to leave you wanting more. every song is good, and many are great.

what comes first the music or the words?
Old 07.05.2006, 12:52 PM   #59
follow.blind
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
Ya know, that doesn't prove anything. It's cool that yr friend will actually play Sonic Youth in the bar, but his opinions of the record aren't exactly valid here. Lot's of people like the record and many people don't. I agree that sections of the record are boring, but the record on thwe whole still has some good material on it. It's just not fully realized. I think the band was in a bit of a rut. Just a small creative block. And if you don't like the album then why did you have yr bartender friend play it in the bar? That doesn't make any sense to me! It seems like such a strange move.

666th post!!! Evil!!!!!!!! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan! Hail Satan!

Oh yes...I was drunk (bad times these days - who the hell invented man-conceit? And all the other stupid stuff that makes things even harder...? Fucking 5 years for nothing.)

I don't really think that it proves anything. I'm not that stupid - it's all about my fucking english and silly moods... I wanted him to play Rather Ripped because I like this band...is it Sonic Youth? Or something...

Congratulations MY LORD! 666!
Old 07.08.2006, 01:50 AM   #60
follow.blind
bad moon rising

Hey...Do you know that exist THIS video? Full set! Good sound (B+/B)?
Try it!

torrent: http://tracker.denness.net:6969/torr...731e58.torrent

*Please provide this info where ever you share the video*
General Info
--------------
Band: Sonic Youth
Place: Starlight Ballroom - Philadelphia, PA
Date: June 14th, 1006 [06.14.06]
Length:1.22.50
Position: stage left
Recording
--------------
Camera: JVC GR-DF550U
Tape: MiniDv
Video Settings: SP - Widescreen
Audio Settings: 16 bit - Stereo - Sony ECM-MSD1 Mic
Ripping & Saving
--------------
Software: Vegas Video 6
Dimensions: 720x480
Audio: 224kbps
File Type: .mpeg > Divx converter
Show Notes:
--------------
What an amazing show. Thurston was very talkative and espectially during the second song very "in-your-face". I got some great footage here and I hope you enjoy. The small gap in time near the end of the video is me switching out tapes for a new one.
Everything by shlacking

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth