Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Swans - To Be Kind - May 13th 2014
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.13.2014, 04:25 PM   #81
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
why? why? why on earth would i be being sarcastic about thinking holy money (a screw) is the best swans song?

you always think im "trolling" whatever that means over the most bizarre shit.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2014, 04:40 PM   #82
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Sorry, instrumentation wise I thought that was a terrible Swans song, indeed, its from the era of Swans I don't really dig, so I though you were fucking with us

Again, when I use the word "trolling" I imply being purposefully incendiary without any intentions of a serious two-way dialogue. That is why I accused !@#$%! of trolling about Nero and Rome, he was just throwing that out there to spark another kind of fire, he didn't intent to have an actual discussion about the historicity of his claim about Christians starting the fire, which most historians, past and present, have rejected as questionable. He just wanted to either get a rowel out of somebody or get an empty high five from somebody else, we got a term for that its called, "preaching to the choir to get an amen." There is no intentions of an open discussion, just needless polemics.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2014, 04:45 PM   #83
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Just be less obvious and more like this poster from another forum. Who, obviously, got there before you did.

''It's possible to work a fairly normal 40-hour work week in NYC, but your job will probably be very stressful -- or, if you're working for yourself, you will be whoring (or "hustling," if you're a dumbass or sociopath and want to glorify your cheap existence) yourself and your product at all fucking hours. I've done the former; am incapable of the latter. Neither seem like a viable option to me. Both are repulsive. The latter is repugnant.

I had a flirtatious exchange with some dumb ditch at a bar about a year ago. Manhattan-born. I asked her what her opinion was of someone like me: someone who moved here with no real trajectory; just curiosity and boredom. I'm paraphrasing, but she said something like, "Well, if you're not here for a reason, you need to get the fuck out of the way." Yeah. Real cute party line she adopted from whomever. Wonder how she feels about all the illegal immigrants who essentially run the restaurants. Or all the interns or underpaid peons who leverage the shit-work for entertainment and media. There's no room for actual humanity here.

David Byrne writing about life in NYC is a joke. He's a joke. I don't need his opinion. His take on the money bubble in NYC is -- to paraphrase once more -- something like, "Well, this obsession with money has led otherwise creative people to choose a career in trading or real estate." Well, my take is that if you're that interested in money, I could give a shit about what you chose. If I could choose for these people, I'd place them in a gulag and encourage them to decimate one another. Even if they did pursue art or any sort, I would suss them out and write them off from the word "go." Furthermore, I don't think most people I know and respect who create this/that/other had a choice at all. They were maligned and had to make something. Wall Street was never an option. For me, personally, I could not even conceive what that kind of life entails, and even if I were intensely interested in becoming rich, I would have no idea how to do it and am not unscrupulous and sociopathic enough to make it a reality.

I don't care how jaded, ignorant or childish this sounds: I can't wait for the real freaks to take music back from the squares. I can't wait for these middling media outlets like Vice, Brooklyn Vegan, etc. to die a slow, agonizing death. If I were smart, I'd find a way to exploit them for money. But I'm not smart. I'm angry.

''NYC's only saving graces are museums and attractive women. I've seen all the former. The latter are typically stupid. I'm not really interested in a meat-mitten at this point, but if I were: what a grand ol' time.''
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2014, 04:58 PM   #84
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
hey you fucking fat piece of shit, i told you not to talk to me. if you want to go down that road prepare to get chewed the fuck out you fat fuck
Old 05.13.2014, 05:00 PM   #85
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Probably someone told me that already. Years ago.
Old 05.13.2014, 05:06 PM   #86
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

all your past friends and lovers.
Old 05.13.2014, 05:19 PM   #87
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Don't be jealous because someone is better at being angry than you are and they can articulate it better.
Old 05.13.2014, 05:35 PM   #88
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

i told you not to talk to me flubbula
Old 05.13.2014, 05:40 PM   #89
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2014, 05:48 PM   #90
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Knock Knock!
Old 05.13.2014, 07:33 PM   #91
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

knock knock, its the metropolitan police, stop harassing young men on the internet please sir! ok, can you drive me to dunkin donuts?
Old 05.13.2014, 07:38 PM   #92
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
lol!!
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2014, 07:57 PM   #93
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

Old 05.14.2014, 08:19 AM   #94
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
so how much do you guys hate me if i tell you this is my fav Swans album?
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2014, 09:53 AM   #95
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
I like the new album a lot,much prefer it to the Seer which is my least favourite by them by a long way, to me it sounded like a well executed sell out. Really enjoy the second disc on the new one.

Still My Father is the best post-reformation Swans album in my opinion.

What are people's thoughts on Burning World? I know it gets lots of hate which I never really understood, it has some beautiful tracks
on.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2014, 03:16 PM   #96
Blood_Promise
bad moon rising

Blood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's asses
Burning World is definitely one of my favorites. Don't care what Gira says.
Blood_Promise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2014, 11:21 PM   #97
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
all that said I'm sure the record is LOVELY

Wait....so after that rant you declare you haven't even HEARD To Be Kind yet?
Old 05.14.2014, 11:23 PM   #98
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
All that bitching and you haven't even listened to record before you condemn folks as being cliched, fake, or relying on hyperbole?? LISTEN TO THE ACTUAL RECORD FIRST BEFORE YOU SHIT TALK, perhaps you'll discover that the comments are justified

Haha. I needlessly replied before reading on.
Old 05.15.2014, 01:09 AM   #99
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
Wait....so after that rant you declare you haven't even HEARD To Be Kind yet?
exactly babe, right onnnnn.

I understand it's pretty fucking disgraceful on my part, but is it really so wrong to not wish to be associated with a band subjected to people who apathetically jump onto these groups and then in essence bastardise them? to see swans as a 'scary' but 'redemptive' group is so fucking absurd, they're just a band who make noise. I can dissociate gira and his bullshit doomy persona from the group, but when fans (loose term) proliferate this and hold it as an inextricable, if not fundamental element of the music then any quality it had to me is rendered wholly null and void.

http://www.stereogum.com/1679622/pre...re-evaluation/

read this. just fucking read it and tell me you're not entirely repulsed. shit journalism sucked out of this incestuous system's mama arsehole, and then regurgitated by their nigh-on vegetative readership. "AOTY". "AOT fucking Y". what does that even mean? this music is digested not because of its innately pleasurable purpose but rather so as to fit into a wholly arbitrary ordering system which means nothing.

I just hate people, and therefore want to ignore swans because those whom they previously derided are now their primary target audience. as pad said, they sold out. and ordinarily I don't care, but it's as if they're embracing this totally one-dimensional view of their music as 'scary' and 'dark', and indeed seem to be playing it up so as to fully capitalise on this fleeting interest in them.

new swans are sick, yes, but have any of the records they've made been as good as holy money? no. soundtracks for the blind? no. kill the child? no.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2014, 08:27 AM   #100
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

i dont think your post makes a lot of sense.

the journalism is not the bands fault. neither are the fans. music journalism is nonsense and i havent read it in years.

mark fisher could write about music, timothy morton can. apart from those guys, ive maybe skimmed a handful of other reviews in the past 5 years or so. its all bs.

its just hype and nonsense. it attempts to draw it into some sort of individual narrative, or it just says things that don't mean anything.

when you read those reviews, they're just like a little buzz of anticipatory hype to get you excited until you click play. that's all they really are. garbled bullshit most of the time.

music journalism lost the plot ages ago when the communal aspect of culture was lost to individualism. 99% of writers can't draw the music into any greater contexts than their own narcissistic yammerings.

of course, if they try to, they get immediately viciously attacked by the legion of "ITS JUST MUSIC MAN! JUST ENJOY IT AND SHUT UP!" people.

i actually dont think that review you linked to is all that bad.

most reviews now seem to be very self conscious and desperate to try and affect this particular poise in which the music is understood to not really mean anything and not be like deep or something which is incredibly incredibly threatening for the post modern consumer who wants his slop to be shorn of any wider context and just satiate his own solipsistic incoherent demands.

most of what is said about music online is just people showing off. something is not cool (because others believe it is and that's not cool) or something is great. either time, it's just the ego of the person that's really talking.

i still don't see how this is the musics fault though. also, bands have to play these games because they cant afford to live or make their music anymore.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth