Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Swans - To Be Kind - May 13th 2014
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.11.2015, 10:54 PM   #261
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Toussaint!!
Old 11.11.2015, 11:00 PM   #262
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Oh Man I love To Be Kind the most. It seems to "flow" better than Seer for me. Disc 2 of Seer always seemed a little weird for me in terms of "flow", but I dunno...It took me several spins of Bring The Sun - Toussaint to "get" it. I think it is brilliant, and rather unusual for Swans.
Old 11.11.2015, 11:25 PM   #263
Skuj
invito al cielo

I've been immersed in the Filth 3CD for the last month or so. I may have said this before, but the biggest surprise for me is how similar it is to recent output. I know that sounds crazy, because there are many obvious differences, but the "Swans Vibe" that I've come to know with Seer/TBK is very present right out of the gate. I'm not explaining this very well.
Old 11.12.2015, 01:21 PM   #264
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
I've been immersed in the Filth 3CD for the last month or so. I may have said this before, but the biggest surprise for me is how similar it is to recent output. I know that sounds crazy, because there are many obvious differences, but the "Swans Vibe" that I've come to know with Seer/TBK is very present right out of the gate. I'm not explaining this very well.

No, I get it. And yeah, I think you have mentioned this before.

And it makes me wonder: why exactly do you think it "sounds crazy" to say that there are similarities. I mean, yes, you're dealing with two very different time periods, "eras," lineups of the band, but it's still Swans.

I know a lot is made of the band's various styles and approaches, but the same themes have always been prevalent in their music. It's always been a collage of post-punk, noise, drone, industrial, dark Americana & southern gothic, apocalyptic & psychedelic folk, ambience and sludge.

It's no more crazy than finding parallels between Nurse and Daydream Nation, in my opinion.

Btw: where are you with your collection at this point? Have you investigated Soundtracks for the Blind? Burning World? Love of Life? Just curious, because I know you were just starting to venture out into pre-2010's stuff when you went awol.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2015, 12:37 AM   #265
Skuj
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
No, I get it. And yeah, I think you have mentioned this before.

And it makes me wonder: why exactly do you think it "sounds crazy" to say that there are similarities. I mean, yes, you're dealing with two very different time periods, "eras," lineups of the band, but it's still Swans.

I know a lot is made of the band's various styles and approaches, but the same themes have always been prevalent in their music. It's always been a collage of post-punk, noise, drone, industrial, dark Americana & southern gothic, apocalyptic & psychedelic folk, ambience and sludge.

It's no more crazy than finding parallels between Nurse and Daydream Nation, in my opinion.

Btw: where are you with your collection at this point? Have you investigated Soundtracks for the Blind? Burning World? Love of Life? Just curious, because I know you were just starting to venture out into pre-2010's stuff when you went awol.

Well, we are talking about a 30 year span.....more like comparing The Eternal and Confusion Is Sex.....which would have many parallels haha. I was surprised though because I keep reading about how utterly different the 2010s stuff is from early Swans, and my first thought upon spinning Filth was "no....that's fucking Gira yesterday isn't it?"

I have played Soundtracks many many times and I fucking adore it. Took me a while to get my head wrapped around it. Seemed very "everything plus the kitchen sink" at first, but now I hear it as a seamless epic work. Hey....isn't Animus and The Sound two parts of the same epic song? What a centerpiece, separated by a disc change and a short Jarboe piece. I thought that was particularly brilliant.

So, other than all the 2010s stuff, I got Soundtracks and Filth 3CD to contend with. I'm definitely going to keep adding to my Swans collection.....they are my favourite fucking band haha......but there is so much to digest with what I already have. No rush.
Old 12.01.2015, 12:58 AM   #266
Skuj
invito al cielo

Gonna get this real soon. These 2 albums have thematically similar artwork, were released close together, and are bunched into this 3CD. Are they 2 parts of a single work?http://younggodrecords.com/collectio...et-3cd-release
Old 12.01.2015, 02:39 AM   #267
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I exist im just not that interested in hip hop lately.. i also just got tix to the Dead ON NEW YEARS EVE

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2015, 02:51 AM   #268
Skuj
invito al cielo

Fuck it, I just ordered the 3CD White Light....Love Of Life, and this:http://younggodrecords.com/collectio...eed-holy-money
Old 01.09.2016, 03:02 AM   #269
Skuj
invito al cielo

Can't stop playing the 3CD White Light.....Love Of Life. At first it really threw me how "song" oriented this is, and how "sweet" it all sounds. A lot of this even reminds me of late 80s / early 90s REM. Blind is stuck in my brain. White Light....is fantastic really, it flows so beautifully. I thought I'd always be digging Swans for their epicness and brutality, but here is a side of them that is totally unexpected and completely lovely. Floored again.
Old 03.06.2016, 07:12 PM   #270
Skuj
invito al cielo

I wonder if the current "troubles" will delay this next album/tour. TBK was out in May 2014, but details were announced in Jan 2014.
Old 03.06.2016, 08:02 PM   #271
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
I wonder if the current "troubles" will delay this next album/tour. TBK was out in May 2014, but details were announced in Jan 2014.

Michael's playing some solo shows (with Thurston Moore, actually) that don't seem to have been interrupted by whats going on. (Shrug)
Old 03.06.2016, 08:52 PM   #272
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Michael's playing some solo shows (with Thurston Moore, actually) that don't seem to have been interrupted by whats going on. (Shrug)

All of the Australian shows have been cancelled but the London show is still on I think, I have a ticket so I'll let you know!

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2016, 09:48 PM   #273
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
All of the Australian shows have been cancelled but the London show is still on I think, I have a ticket so I'll let you know!

Yeah, please do. Not that I'm going to be in Australia or England or Amsterdan any time soon myself, but I want to know the extent that his activity on tour and in the studio may be affected by what's going on.

I see the Australia shows are cancelled now. That's a bummer.
111213 14
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth