Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Drawing Restraint 9 - fucking genious!!!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.04.2006, 04:05 PM   #1
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
so, in spite of having been burned in the past, i went yesterday to see mathew barney's new film @ the ifc center.

i thought the cremaster series, though visually gorgeous, had been a pretentious, boring piece of shit-- still images don't work the same as moving images extended in time. the stills were spectacular! but the movie... *yawn*

enter bjork. i love that kooky girl and i thought if she was involved in it there was a chance it would be a lot less boring. oh was i right!

drawing restraint hits the right balance in terms of beautiful standalone images and a compelling film narrative. it's a slow film, it's a ritual film, and it advances as rigorously and systematically as the ceremony it depicts-- it's a large, widespreading ceremony we're witnessing, and impatient people should not go see this-- but it moves on in a meaningful, spectacular progression of beauty and transformation.

if art is intercourse, cremaster was just masturbation, but the artistic marriage of barney and bjork has produced amazing results. her soundtrack is magnificent-- zeena parkins had a hand in some of it btw.

i can't explain-- i can't. i've seen this only once. i'm still enthralled. but if any of you get a chance to watch this, i hope this impressionistic micro-review prepares you for it somehow.

holy shit! it blew my mind. i had to go sit at the bar and space out for a while when we walked out of it. i'll say no more.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2006, 06:58 PM   #2
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
I totally agree with you about cremaster's masturbatory pretentiousness. I was bored out of my skull by it. Doubt i'll give the new one any time
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2006, 07:26 PM   #3
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
i really want to see it, ive yet to see any of barneys stuff. i have the creamaster 3- the order winging its way to me right now from amazon...
Old 04.05.2006, 11:11 PM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
well i hope you are not disappointed. when i saw it, i wanted my money back. there are a couple of great scenes-- the bull-riding on the ice for example (don't worry, i won't ruin any kind of plot), but a lot of it is pretentious caca. much of the stuff he did there was already done better in koyaanisqatsi. but i hope you enjoy the visuals & are not turned off when you get a chance to catch drawing restraint. (OH! THIS COMMENT ACTUALLY REFERS TO CREMASTER 2.)

i was reading the reviews on imdb and they are split between 0 and 10 stars.
hate it or love it. and this is kinda funny, i'm half-watching 2001 right now, and that's also a movie that put 1/2 of its audience to sleep while marveling the other 1/2.
Old 04.06.2006, 07:17 AM   #5
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
i'm one that was bored by 2001 as well
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 01:16 PM   #6
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
from the little bit ive seen of cremaster 3, i quite enjoyed it. i dont know how well id fare with the entire series...

i get what oyu mean about it being slow, but i think thats just how the pacing of film based art works, its not about plot or character or anything like that, its just desigend to build an atmosphere, or concentrate on a specific concept for a long time, in a meditative sense. at any rate, the entirity of the design, the costumes and the cinematography make it astoundingly beautiful. its a shame he only made 9 copies of the entire boxed set...
Old 05.04.2006, 11:44 AM   #7
Bunbury
stalker

Bunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's asses
love barney.
not much of a bjork fan, but drawing restraint 9 still looks amazing to me. even with the presence of the pixie.
has anyone been lucky enough to attend one of the screenings? or see his current exhibit at the Gladstone [The Occidental Guest]?
sadly it is going to end [may 13] before i go to new york.
Bunbury is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 11:46 AM   #8
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

bjork's long nipples sure look strange, but the soundtrack kicks ass. confess.
Old 05.04.2006, 01:57 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
!"£$%, weren't you laying into someone for mis-spellings in thread titles somewhere else on the board? Does the phrase 'hoisted by your own petard' mean anything to you?

But on a less boring note, I'm a big fan of Messr Barney, and I really, really love the Cremaster things, so I'm looking forward to seeing this soon.

For me, what a lot of people see as 'pretentious' is an exploration of what film could've been - I can't think of many people who make video-art such a pristine and beautiful thing, it's very rare that the art world bothers to make film in the same way (visually perfect) as Hollywood does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 02:00 PM   #10
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Bjork annoys the living piss out of me.

Just thought I'd make that erudite contribution.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 02:01 PM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I love Bjork. I love her so much it hurts sometimes. I want to love her with my special bits.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 05.04.2006, 02:02 PM   #12
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
And to think I gave you credit for being a Joyce fan. Retracted!
Old 05.04.2006, 02:03 PM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

hah! my superior being is way above the contradictions of mere mortals coping with the fucked up phonetics of the eeeenglish language. especially considering i didn't grow up either speaking nor reading it. if i had, i might consider self-flagellation, but since i didn't, i wil opt for urinating on your shoes.
Old 05.04.2006, 02:07 PM   #14
truncated
invito al cielo

A pissing match - now that's hawt.
Old 05.04.2006, 02:18 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
hah! my superior being is way above the contradictions of mere mortals coping with the fucked up phonetics of the eeeenglish language. especially considering i didn't grow up either speaking nor reading it. if i had, i might consider self-flagellation, but since i didn't, i wil opt for urinating on your shoes.

I'll take the flagellation if it's going...

Quote:
Old 05.05.2006, 09:14 AM   #16
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
I just saw Cremaster 4 & 5. Really interesting stuff, now I wanna see 1 2 and 3. I don't know about drawing restraint though. The fact that it's romance and he stars in it with his wife is kind of a turn off.
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2006, 10:21 AM   #17
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
I just saw Cremaster 4 & 5. Really interesting stuff, now I wanna see 1 2 and 3. I don't know about drawing restraint though. The fact that it's romance and he stars in it with his wife is kind of a turn off.

no romance! it's something else... there's a whaling ship too, pretty amazing to watch...
Old 05.08.2006, 12:32 PM   #18
Bunbury
stalker

Bunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
bjork's long nipples sure look strange, but the soundtrack kicks ass. confess.
i dont have to admit anything.
Old 05.08.2006, 12:34 PM   #19
Bunbury
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
Bjork annoys the living piss out of me.

same.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth