Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Addictive albums...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.15.2009, 01:02 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
What are some records that are like crack and carbohydrates? recordsyou hear once and then dont leave your player. Ill start by saying the record im hooked on now, Scott Walker's Tilt. His experimental records are pretty addictive in general, strange sounds but in accessible pop format and one of the most unique singing voices ever. Ghost pop.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 01:15 PM   #3
sarramkrop

I have been listening to hardly any music in the past month or so, the only two things that I can have on are Drunkdriver's 'Born To Be Pregnant', which is a magnificient monument to energy and creativity, and Zola Jesus' 'Tsar Bomba', which is just a great record from start to finish. A few tracks here and there, but music isn't really cutting it for me as much as other stuff, at the moment, so those two records are the only ones I'm finding addictive.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 01:19 PM   #4
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
SHOLI!
Old 04.15.2009, 01:22 PM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Drunkdriver is fantastic.

listen to pink reason
Old 04.15.2009, 01:25 PM   #6
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
Drunkdriver is fantastic.

FOR FUCKING REAL!!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 01:30 PM   #7
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
the last one of this kind was this one:

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it has been a long time since I have heard an album that, as a whole, got me and made me listen to it over and over and over again.
old and jaded? maybe.
Old 04.15.2009, 02:18 PM   #9
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses

SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 02:52 PM   #10
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
hmmm

right now I'm on a Bealtes & A Tribe Called Quest binge.

& every time I hear Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers or Exile I gotta listen to the rest of them
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 07:06 PM   #11
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Boris - Smile
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 08:40 PM   #12
batreleaser
invito al cielo

the drunkdrver knifeday 7" is a great but short little recording too. they remind me off a noise damaged shred sesh between early black flag and early motorhead. i love the song on "born pregnant" "sick kid". its amazing a band like this could pull off such a perfect 6 minute song, i mean shit, they stretch out thier sound to fucking 12 minutes on "cure for the common cold". they are a band that has thier sound down so well that they can take it into unexpected places; they can slow down thier attack, add some more space, fill in gaps wth the feedback, ad just bang away for a wile, then at the same time they can still do one minute fist pumping fastfucks too.

listen to pink reason
Old 04.15.2009, 08:45 PM   #13
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
I love Wata's guitar on Smile. <3

Right now I'm addicted to uh.. D'Angelo's Voodoo, I guess.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 08:50 PM   #14
batreleaser
invito al cielo

pretty obsessed with all my kurt vile albums too. he has a super addictive sound. i have a feeling his music will prove life changing for some lost 15 year old out there, he has that quality.

listen to pink reason
Old 04.15.2009, 08:52 PM   #15
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Malice Mizer are very addictive. But their albums are very hit and miss. The only album that isn't is the Tetsu's Last Live bootleg, which I listen to a lot, as well as a compilation that I made up, comprised mostly of their singles.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 09:48 PM   #16
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
mansun - 'six' for one... just too many details, parts, and fragments that makes it almost impossible to get bored of it..i've discovered this album like one year ago and still rockin'.
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 10:10 PM   #17
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Can't stop playing this right now.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 11:59 PM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Gotta agree, bat, that kurt vile stuff is addictive.

My most addictive album of all time is pink flag by wire. Bought 3 copies of that one because I listened to it so much.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2009, 04:27 AM   #19
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
A lot of Sonic Youth stuff is addictive to me, but I guess that's obvious considering the board.

I kind of move from addiction to addiction. Recently I've been completely obsessed with the new DOOM album, but I think I may slowly be transferring that love to the Bunny Gets Paid reissue.

Just off the top of my head, the albums I remember having the most intense, "on loop 24/7", addictions too are, in no particular order:

Boredoms - Super Ae

Wilco - A Ghost is Born

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk

Pharoah Sanders - Karma

Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

Atlas Sound - Let the Blind Lead...

Jane’s Addiction – Nothing’s Shocking

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything

Suicide - s/t

Neil Young -Zuma

Keiji Haino - Affection

Nick Drake - Bryter Layter

Shellac - At Action Park and Terraform

John Coltrane – “John Coltrane Plays”, and the rest of the classic quartet boxset really

Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville

Sebadoh - III

John Cale - The Island Years (Fear, Slow Dazzle and Helen of Troy, plus bonuses)

Huh. That list makes me look like much more of a traditional indie kid than the rest of my record collection owuld. I guess that's a sign of something about my tastes that I hadn't realised before...

I'm sure I've missed a ton of important ones. Weird thing is, it's not like that's an accurate list of my favourite albums (although many of them are), or even necessarily my favourite albums by those bands. They're just the ones that have really addictively gripped me. 30 seconds of any of those records and it can define what I listen to for the next month. Addiction is a funny thing.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth