Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page C'Mon Feel the Noize: The Inevitable Noise Survey.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.04.2008, 11:01 AM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Well I'm not even sure what qualifies as 'Noise', but anyway:

1. A Noise Song that defines the genre:
2. A Noise band that defines the genre:
3. One Noise album you would want on a desert island:
4. One Noise song that makes you smile:
5. One Noise song that makes you frown:
6. A band that should be thought of as Noise, but rarely are:
7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Noise, but regularly are:
8. Japanese or American:
9. Sonic Youth's most Noise song (no covers):
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 11:05 AM   #2
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
4. merzbox

(duh, saw that one coming, did you?)
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 11:10 AM   #3
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

4. The Gerogerigegege - Dick Echo

One of the best names for a song ever. And this guy is a bottomless well of good song titles.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Noise Song that defines the genre: Anything by Merzbow probably
2. A Noise band that defines the genre: The Haters
3. One Noise album you would want on a desert island: Wolf Eyes - Human Animal
4. One Noise song that makes you smile: Wolf Eyes - Dead in a Boat
5. One Heavy Metal song that makes you frown: lol
6. A band that should be thought of as Noise, but rarely are: SWANS
7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Noise, but regularly are: Xiu Xiu
8. Japanese or American: Japanese
9. Sonic Youth's most Noise song (no covers): Scooter + Jinx
Old 01.04.2008, 11:20 AM   #5
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
1 and 4: Spit n Shit - Pussy Galore
2: Pussy Galore
3: Soul Crusher - White Zombie
5: Crimes Against Skin - Eyehategod
6: The Thrown Ups
7: ?
8: America
9: Ghost Bitch
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 11:57 AM   #6
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
3. One Noise album you would want on a desert island:I certainly don't want any noise album on a desert island ( I don't even want one on a crowded continent ).
4. One Noise song that makes you smile: CCCC made me smile , live . They played one 30 minutes song but I don't know the name of it.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 12:12 PM   #7
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Noise Song (in this case also an album) that defines the genre:
Lou Reed "Metal Machine Music"

I don't know, maybe Whitehouse.

3.Two Noise albums you would want on a desert island:
Robert Fripp and Brian Eno, Evening Star
Glenn Branca, Symphony No. 1

4. Two Noise songs that make you smile:
Fripp & Eno - "An Index of Metals"
Henri Chopin - "Dynamisme Integral"

most of them

I'm sure there's an obvious good answer that I'm not thinking of, but don't want to rack my brain over this right now.

Sonic Youth...although they have some "noise" releases too, they are far too often thought of as strictly "noise." Take the mention in Juno, for instance.

8. Japanese or American:
American

"Mieux: de Corrosion"
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
ohhh man, now things are going to get ugly!!!! i can already feel the air of superiority of the boardies ready to say "this poll is shit, noise is shit!!!! everyone who listens to noise is shit!"

unoriginal but it hits the spot: merzbow - rainbow electronics

yellow swans

kevin drumm - sheeer hellish miasma

rubbish - untitled track 4 (if memory serves me correct) of vexanation, the great american outhouse.

in disgust? all of wolf eyes - river slaughter; lazy piece of crap.

so many: pita, atari teenage riot, early anal cunt, etc.

wolf eyes, melt banana, boredoms, dinosaur jr, sebadoh, yellow swans*, jesus lizard, anything mike patton related, etc.

8. Japanese or American:

the lazy answer is worldwide but of these two, japanese; i would go with british as they pioneered and influenced the japanese who perfected it and made it unto it's own. nowadays, the british scene is the most versatile with ashtray navigations, blood stereo, vibracathedral, bbblood, towering breaker and affiliated artists and groups making a huge variety of sounds.

lazy answer: silver sessions; other answer: mote or anything in syr4.

*yes, yellow swans can define noise but at the same time not be thought up as noise, both instances for the reason of them being so versatile and not wanting to stay in one place and even exploring sounds and styles unrelated to noise (like ambient, electronica and rock, this last one in small corners) that other purists might frown upon, yet it's this willingness to explore that defines a crucial aspect of the noise that most people involve take for granted or don't even consider, that is, the desire to experiment.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2008, 01:30 PM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Noise Song that defines the genre: There are none for the genre is undefinable.
2. A Noise band that defines the genre: They are interchangeable, so this does not matter
3. One Noise album you would want on a desert island: none, the sounds of nature are the only "noise" I would need on an island
4. One Noise song that makes you smile: none
5. One Noise song that makes you frown: most everything I have heard and it seems that this is the sole purpose of any "noise" act.
6. A band that should be thought of as Noise, but rarely are: don't know
7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Noise, but regularly are: don't know
8. Japanese or American: who cares? noise is noise.
9. Sonic Youth's most Noise song (no covers): second half of MOTE.
Old 01.05.2008, 02:58 AM   #10
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses

1. A Noise Song that defines the genre:"Gran Concerto Futuristico" by Luigi Russolo

2. A Noise band that defines the genre: Bastard Noise

3. One Noise album you would want on a desert island: Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed

4. One Noise song that makes you smile: "Scooter & Jinx" by Sonic Youth (especially if the video is on!)

5. One Noise song that makes you frown: "Might!" by Boyd Rice

6. A band that should be thought of as Noise, but rarely are: early Einsturzende Neubauten

7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Noise, but regularly are: Actually, my own band Dead Air Fresheners gets reviewed as "noise" fairly frequently, which is really pretty ridiculous as we're as often very quiet as noisy.

8. Japanese or American: I kind of like the whole Japanese Noise cliche, but when I look at the bands and artists I really like they're much more often American.

9. Sonic Youth's most Noise song (no covers): "Silver Shirt"
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2008, 03:58 AM   #11
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Does Cage count as noise? 4'33" makes me smile.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2008, 04:27 AM   #12
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Did you buy the CD? ( or vinyl , or mp3...)
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2008, 12:10 AM   #13
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
1. Song? Ha.
2. Unfortunately, somebody like Wolf Eyes I'm sure.
3. Yellow Swans - Bring the Neon War Home
4. Hair Police - Do you like hop hop?
5. Anything that's generic static.
6. I don't know. I think that noise is a shitty label.
7. Discussed below
8. They're both great and terrible at times. Japanese is more thoroughly good.
9. Scooter & Jinx

I think that bands like Xiu Xiu and the like are more 'noise' than bands like Sonic Youth. I don't really know why but I feel like the whole electronic music thing fits more into the 'noise' genre than Sonic Youth's static and feedback.
Old 01.06.2008, 12:13 AM   #14
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

so many: pita, atari teenage riot, early anal cunt, etc.

ATR were one that I was going to say.

I agree with the Yellow Swans thing. They're so much more noise to me than Wolf Eyes or any of that shit.
Old 01.06.2008, 12:31 AM   #15
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Noise Song that defines the genre: Don't know.
2. A Noise band that defines the genre: Don't know.
3. One Noise album you would want on a desert island: Suggest something.
4. One Noise song that makes you smile: Can't think of one.
5. One Noise song that makes you frown: Can't think of one.
6. A band that should be thought of as Noise, but rarely are: I have no idea.
7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Noise, but regularly are: I have no idea.
8. Japanese or American: I have no clue.
9. Sonic Youth's most Noise song (no covers): Beats the hell out of me.

Old 01.06.2008, 05:09 AM   #16
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
8. Japanese or American:

answer to all is merzbow
Old 01.06.2008, 05:55 AM   #17
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
1. A Noise Song that defines the genre: anything off 1930 by Merzbow
2. A Noise band that defines the genre: Hijokaidan, Incapacitants
3. One Noise album you would want on a desert island: Francisco Lopez - Untitled #89
6. A band that should be thought of as Noise, but rarely are: Swans were a good call
7. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Noise, but regularly are: Yellow Swans
8. Japanese or American: japanese hands down
9. Sonic Youth's most Noise song (no covers): the ending part of Mildred Pierce

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth