Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Show in Northampton on Valentines Day - Cancelled?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.15.2007, 06:50 AM   #21
satirejohn
bad moon rising

satirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's assessatirejohn kicks all y'all's asses
damn you, you got expressway
satirejohn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 08:56 AM   #22
tscaw
empty page

tscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's assestscaw kicks all y'all's asses
turquoise boy happened between eric's trip and do you believe in rapture? last night.

kingcoffee's kerouac shout out happened in this context: after what a waste, thurston made a comment about how lee just made it into town five minutes before they played due to having some amtrak delays, which prompted a shouter to declare "AMTRAK SUCKS!" thurston replied that amtrak has its pros and cons, followed by "i prefer hitchhiking myself." he then rambled on about how great it would be if society could come around to where it would be safe to hitchhike again, which prompted kingcoffee to erupt with on the road. thurston laughed and said "some dude just said 'on the road.'" audience laughter ensued. then the band went away to see an old friend of thurston's...
tscaw is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 09:15 AM   #23
logcabinrecluse
bad moon rising

logcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asses
can anyone give a little report on wooden wand's set? songs? anyone play with him?
Old 02.15.2007, 11:08 AM   #24
lalie
bad moon rising

lalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asses
Oh! You got Schizophrenia! Lucky audience!

lalie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 01:33 PM   #25
baby bulldog
bad moon rising

baby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's assesbaby bulldog kicks all y'all's asses
Such an intimate,special set last night....a respectful crowd too,you could of heard a pin drop in Xprssway....not a peep and then "To yr skull!!!!!!!!!!!!!"...
just a great night!
baby bulldog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 08:27 PM   #26
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
Turquoise Boy was in there too somewhere. They never EVER do Sleepin' Around. Have they ever done Sleepin' Around?

They did when I saw 'em last June 27th in Denver.

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 08:59 PM   #27
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
SNOWED-IN NORTHAMPTON TICKETHOLDERS CAN COME TO PROVIDENCE
Holders of hard tickets who were unable to make it to the Northampton show can attend Saturday's Sonic Youth show at Lupo's at the Strand in Providence. Bring your Northampton tickets and they will be honored at the door.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2007, 10:10 PM   #28
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I can't believe we got to hear Eric's Trip as well as Schizophrenia!!!! Two of my very favorit SY songs which I have never had the pleasure of hearing live before!! Whooooo!!!!

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2007, 02:12 AM   #29
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://media.www.dailycollegian.com/...-2724213.shtml

Local band Sonic Youth rocks for charity

Corey Charron, Collegian Staff

Posted: 2/16/07

The significant amount of snow that closed most Western Massachusetts schools on Wednesday stopped some people from attending Sonic Youth's sold out fundraising concert for the Greenfield Center School, which band members Thurston Moore and Kim Gordan's daughter attends. The brave crowds who made the trek to Northampton on Valentine's Day were were reawarded for their courageous efforts with an impressive show from the hometown favorites.

The Academy of Music was about two-thirds full at the start of Sonic Youth's crisp hour and a half set. The venue was very cozy for a concert, especially after battlingconsidering the harsh weather conditions outside. The show started out as a sit-down affair, with people scattered around the theater, but shortly afterinto the showit began Moore invited the crowd to gather and stand closer to the stage.

Composed of fifteen songs, the set-list contained a little bit of everything in Sonic Youth's discography, going back as far as "Shaking Hell," from 1983's "Confusion is Sex," to "Shizophrenia," from 1987's "Sister." Much material was taken from last year's "Rather Ripped," including the first two songs of the night, "Incinerate," and "Reena."

Moore and Gordan took turns on vocals most of the show, while guitarist Lee Renaldo took over on "Rats," from "Rather Ripped," and "Eric's Trip," from "Daydream Nation." Gordan, wearing a sparkly pink and silver dress in good Valentine's Day cheer, provided inspirational dance moves to coincide with her typical raspy vocals.

Mark Ibold, former bassist of Pavement and new touring member of Sonic Youth, wore an Awesome Colors t-shirt; a band that were was unable to attend because of illness. Moore invited drummer Allison Busch onstage during a guitar string change, as she was the only person in of the power trio not sick, and talked to her about her elementary school in Flint, Mich.

Moore, the guitar aficionado and overall impressive showman, highlighted the night with his intricate style of playing and performing. Every note and movement was premeditated and executed perfectly and smoothly, not a surprise considering the amount of shows Moore has participated in.

The dichotomous sides of Sonic Youth were showcased throughout the night and can be best summarized in the song "Do You Believe in Rapture," from "Rather Ripped." Played halfway through the night, Moore started the piece by playing a recording of a man speaking, then going into a loud noise freak-out, and finally transitioning into the somber, quiet song, by Sonic Youth standards. The circle of musical bliss was complete.

"Pink Steam," from "Rather Ripped," ended the first set on a high note. The band came out for the first encore with "Teenage Riot," from 1988's "Daydream Nation." Moore dedicated what may be the band's most famous song to the children of the Greenfield Center School. The song "Candle," from the same album, was played to much crowd appreciation earlier in the night.

Surprisingly the band came back out for a third round, playing "Shaking Hell," and "Expressway to Your Soul," from 1986's "Evol," ending the night's second encore. J Mascis, of Amherst's own legendary Dinosaur Jr., was thanked by Moore for giving him a pair of sneakers, designed by Mascis himself.

In between opening band Wooden Wand's and Sonic Youth's sets students from the Greenfield Center School came onstage with a few teachers to thank everyone for attending. Much of the crowd consisted of children with their parents in support of the alternative school.

Wooden Wand opened up the show with a half-hour set composed of songs ranging from all of his releases, including his upcoming new album, produced by Sonic Youth's Lee Renaldo. The record is scheduled to be released in May on Moore's "Ecstatic Peace" label.

The performance featured lead singer James Toth on acoustic guitar accompanied by a female vocalist on most of the songs, who Toth jokingly called Janis Joplin. Most of the songs featured interesting, unique, and sometimes political lyrics, sung in a nasally tone. The best comparison would be to folk artist Devendra Banhart, whose writing and music are quite similar to Wooden Wand's. Jeff Mangum, of Neutral Milk Hotel fame, could be seen in the vocal mannerisms and lyrical imagery.

Wooden Wand will be the warm-up band for Sonic Youth for the next five dates on tour. That includes their Saturday show in Providence, R.I. at Lupo's at the Stand at which Sonic Youth will be honoring the tickets of anyone who missed their Valentine's Day concert because of the weather.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2007, 02:06 AM   #30
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Surprisingly the band came back out for a third round, playing "Shaking Hell," and "Expressway to Your Soul," from 1986's "Evol," ending the night's second encore. J Mascis, of Amherst's own legendary Dinosaur Jr., was thanked by Moore for giving him a pair of sneakers, designed by Mascis himself.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2007, 07:30 AM   #31
margotapplebaum
empty page

margotapplebaum has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
I can't believe we got to hear Eric's Trip as well as Schizophrenia!!!! Two of my very favorit SY songs which I have never had the pleasure of hearing live before!! Whooooo!!!!

As was I. I was pretty happy with the setlist and it was a great show!
margotapplebaum is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2007, 06:46 PM   #32
Mdjohnsit
empty page

Mdjohnsit has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
yea... it was funny... i was in the lobby waiting to leave during the last encore (i had to walk home in the snow)... and as thurston was thanking dinosaur jr. i looked up and noticed i was standing behind mascis. everytime i see sonic youth.... mascis is there with me. guess thats what i get for being in noho.
Mdjohnsit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2007, 02:25 AM   #33
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdjohnsit
yea... it was funny... i was in the lobby waiting to leave during the last encore (i had to walk home in the snow)... and as thurston was thanking dinosaur jr. i looked up and noticed i was standing behind mascis. everytime i see sonic youth.... mascis is there with me. guess thats what i get for being in noho.

Dazedcola and I were in the SY merch room getting food and buying shirts when I noticed that J was talking to the t shirt guy. I didn't approach him simply because he was busy. I turned around and he was gone! Nooooooooo!
Next time I see him I'm just gonna say "what's up?" Not bug him or anything, but just say hey.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth