Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.18.2014, 03:32 PM   #5621
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
What's up with all these low scoring Group matches?? I usually watch the group games because they are the most exciting.. usually the scoreless boring defense first games are in the knock out stage

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2014, 03:40 PM   #5622
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
that's what i was beginning to perceive

---

watching bayern try so hard and fail to squeeze a goal for almost a whole game was excruciating, but in the end it was a huge relief. boateng really wanted to score today, tried hard and finally got his reward-- he had a fantastic game.

annoyed that rafinha was put in, he's a nice kid and all but i've never seen him as up to bayern's level. let lahm be lahm, best fullback in the damn business, and stop fucking around. benatia seemed a bit confused but dante did worst almost allowing a goal by higuaín-- he's slowed down tremendously this past couple of years.

bayern clearly has a center back problem right now-- except for boateng, who had such a great day. that man is a tower. robben sparked things up tremendously when he came in for muller (who was unlucky today), supposedly he's not back in full form but the way he left defenders behind was pure magic-- really astonishing bursts of brilliance, it's like he had that ball magnetized.

i'm happy with the win, but i lost count of how many chances bayern missed or joe hart saved, and that was very frustrating. pep better find a higher-scoring formula soon because bayern fans ultimately don't give a shit about possession.

Watched a rerun of the Bayern MC game . Thought you were a bit hard on Pep in this case. It's not like Bayern didn't produce any chances and you can't really blame the coach when the strikers aren't converting them, and Hart having a wonder-game. On another day, against a different keeper, they could've easily scored another 2 or 3. Agree that they looked better when Robben came on though.

Hart aside, MC were pretty disappointing. Toure had another terrible game. There's definitely something up with him.

Also Julian Draxler ... against Chelsea ... Wow!!!

Also also ... heard about this on a podcast. Menez's goal for Milan against Parma. Flat out amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnxS5OnxYOI
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2014, 11:38 AM   #5623
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
keeping and eye on a replay of as roma / cska moscow while doing a little work.

yes, i get it that moscow is a shit, easy-to-beat team, but roma isn't fucking around either, winning 5-1 like that, they mean business and everyone should be warned.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2014, 01:00 PM   #5624
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Porto has the potential to be a really great team. Unfortunately a lot of their talent comes from having promising youngsters loaned from europe's big boys (tello, casemiro, torres) and they will surely sell they're future superstars when they are ripe like they did with hulk, falcao, james, etc... jackson martinez is a future monster

TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2014, 10:44 AM   #5625
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
Porto has the potential to be a really great team. Unfortunately a lot of their talent comes from having promising youngsters loaned from europe's big boys (tello, casemiro, torres) and they will surely sell they're future superstars when they are ripe like they did with hulk, falcao, james, etc... jackson martinez is a future monster

thanks for that recommendation! i'll try to catch a game.

jackson martinez already had a great world cup-- and he's in his mid/late 20s if i recall

=========

bayern just managed to tie 0-0 vs. relegation-battling hamburg which had the worst defense last year

this after bringing lewandowski, xabi alonso and gotze from the bench.

they had almost 80% possession but no goals. how crap is that.

i hope dortmund does better later today
Old 09.20.2014, 11:26 AM   #5626
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
thanks for that recommendation! i'll try to catch a game.

jackson martinez already had a great world cup-- and he's in his mid/late 20s if i recall

=========

bayern just managed to tie 0-0 vs. relegation-battling hamburg which had the worst defense last year

this after bringing lewandowski, xabi alonso and gotze from the bench.

they had almost 80% possession but no goals. how crap is that.

i hope dortmund does better later today

Jeez you'd think this Bayern Munich team are the worst in their history. 0-0 draws happen, even if it's the biggest team and the worst team in the league. If anything the credit should go to Hamburger for managing to hold on against a team that did 15 shots to their 4.

Stop expecting every game to be a big goal scoring win. This isn't blinking Yank Football or Basketball.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2014, 11:35 AM   #5627
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Jeez you'd think this Bayern Munich team are the worst in their history. 0-0 draws happen, even if it's the biggest team and the worst team in the league. If anything the credit should go to Hamburger for managing to hold on against a team that did 15 shots to their 4.

Stop expecting every game to be a big goal scoring win. This isn't blinking Yank Football or Basketball.

fuck that. man u beat qpr 4-0 last week yes? is that basketball? no-- it's what a top team does with a relegation team.

i'm looking ahead at roma too. that's not going to be easy (moscow yes). it's a tough CL group. can't win without scoring.

hamburg did 4 shots? twice they almost really fucked neuer the libero (don't get me wrong, i love neuer, but dante...). bayern's shots in the 2nd half were weak shit (i only saw the 2nd half-- weak).

oh im late for the dortmund game
Old 09.20.2014, 11:47 AM   #5628
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
fuck that. man u beat qpr 4-0 last week yes? is that basketball? no-- it's what a top team does with a relegation team.

i'm looking ahead at roma too. that's not going to be easy (moscow yes). it's a tough CL group. can't win without scoring.

hamburg did 4 shots? twice they almost really fucked neuer the libero (don't get me wrong, i love neuer, but dante...). bayern's shots in the 2nd half were weak shit (i only saw the 2nd half-- weak).

oh im late for the dortmund game

And drew 0-0 to bloody Burnley the week before.

Old 09.20.2014, 12:21 PM   #5629
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

e
nope, in basketball the losing team, even if dominated by 50 points still score at least SOME POINTS, a 4-0 beat down is more like a 35-0 domination in an NFL game.. where as you mentioned, and underclass team faces an elite team similar to the Falcons recent demolition of what used to be the Bucaneers

Old 09.20.2014, 12:21 PM   #5630
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
And drew 0-0 to bloody Burnley the week before.

don't know who is that or who played

but watching dortmund's bench battle mainz (half time right now) is way more exciting than watching fc hollywood act constipated.
Old 09.20.2014, 12:25 PM   #5631
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
don't know who is that or who played

watching dortmund's bench battle mainz (half time right now) is way more exciting than watching fc hollywood act constipated.

Exactly.*

How about West Ham! Lolerpool.

*to expand-the lowest of teams can hold off teams that should by rights be winning. What is it? Goals happen on average every 60 minutes if I remember rightly.

Old 09.20.2014, 12:34 PM   #5632
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Exactly.*

you heard about real madrid's latest result?

Quote:
How about West Ham! Lolerpool.

no idea again lol

Quote:
*to expand-the lowest of teams can hold off teams that should by rights be winning. What is it? Goals happen on average every 60 minutes if I remember rightly.

i understand that but to watch a team hold the ball 80% of the time and then melt down like wusses is an exercise in frustration.

dortmund back on! nice match it's on BT for you i think.
Old 09.20.2014, 01:20 PM   #5633
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
you heard about real madrid's latest result?

no idea again lol

i understand that but to watch a team hold the ball 80% of the time and then melt down like wusses is an exercise in frustration.

dortmund back on! nice match it's on BT for you i think.

demonrail's team. 2-1 to West Ham after scoring two goals in the first ten minutes. Excellent stuff.

FUKCING 3-1!! GET IN

Old 09.20.2014, 01:22 PM   #5634
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Just seen the Dortmund result...

Old 09.20.2014, 01:25 PM   #5635
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
demonrail's team. 2-1 to West Ham after scoring two goals in the first ten minutes. Excellent stuff.

FUKCING 3-1!! GET IN

damn, mainz just beat dortmund 2-0!!!! ha ha ha ha.

it was 0-0, so kloppo brought in immobile and mkhitarian, and instead of scoring they got scored on. okazaki (sp?) enabled by jairo (fresh from sevilla) opened for mainz. then immobile fucked up a penalty kick. the second mainz goal was gonna be similar (jairo->okazaki) but subotic's substitute (mathias ginter) scored an own goal and the crowd thanked him ha ha ha.

what a fun game even though i wanted dortmund to win

--

oh, west ham beat liverpool?

demonyo must be doing somersaults
Old 09.20.2014, 02:38 PM   #5636
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ps a couple of writeups

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ndesliga-game/

http://www.bundesliga.com/en/liga/ne...0000302242.php
Old 09.20.2014, 03:48 PM   #5637
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Demonrail hasn't answered on the American Football thread so I'll ask the question here..

What is there to lose in futbol rivalries like the Superclassico or the Bavarian Derby??

We were discussing the rivalries within the divisional format of NFL and how it gives added meaning to to otherwise less meaningful regular season games. Me and rob mentioned we like NFL rivalries better than futbol rivalries, and demonrail insisted futbol rivalries are more meaningful.

Now aside from IN TOURNAMENTS, what exactly is the substantive meaning of these rivalries in the context of the table system? Again, within divisional format, demonrail mentioned Packers-Bears rivalry, every NFL fan knows the Packers and Bears are going to play each other TWO times every single regular season, and that essentially if a team can win both they clinch the playoffs by taking their division and hurting their rivals chances in the loss column. Even if the they split the games, it could still knock one of them out of the playoffs. Also, say one of them is for sure not making the playoffs, by winning a key division game against a rival they can ensure that NEITHER of them make the playoffs.. So what are otherwise low-importance games become some of the biggest games of the season.

So outside of tournament play, what exactly do Boca Juniors or River Plate stand to lose when playing each other?

Old 09.20.2014, 07:44 PM   #5638
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Surprisingly watched a few MLS games and I honestly enjoyed them all!

Old 09.21.2014, 02:57 AM   #5639
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Demonrail hasn't answered on the American Football thread so I'll ask the question here..

What is there to lose in futbol rivalries like the Superclassico or the Bavarian Derby??

We were discussing the rivalries within the divisional format of NFL and how it gives added meaning to to otherwise less meaningful regular season games. Me and rob mentioned we like NFL rivalries better than futbol rivalries, and demonrail insisted futbol rivalries are more meaningful.

Now aside from IN TOURNAMENTS, what exactly is the substantive meaning of these rivalries in the context of the table system? Again, within divisional format, demonrail mentioned Packers-Bears rivalry, every NFL fan knows the Packers and Bears are going to play each other TWO times every single regular season, and that essentially if a team can win both they clinch the playoffs by taking their division and hurting their rivals chances in the loss column. Even if the they split the games, it could still knock one of them out of the playoffs. Also, say one of them is for sure not making the playoffs, by winning a key division game against a rival they can ensure that NEITHER of them make the playoffs.. So what are otherwise low-importance games become some of the biggest games of the season.

So outside of tournament play, what exactly do Boca Juniors or River Plate stand to lose when playing each other?

I can only speak from what I know so I'll chip in my 2 pence worth. Rivalries between certain teams have been going for nigh on a hundred years in a lot of cases and the original reason is lost on a lot of fans. It's just pushed into them from when fans were kids. For example, if you ask an Arsenal fan why they have a rivalry with Tottenham (besides the regional reason) a lot of them wouldn't know.

Some rivalries like the Celtic/Rangers fixtures are more based on religion (Protestants and Catholics) and leads to crazy levels of violence.

What is their to lose? Honestly, it just comes down to a tribal spirit. One team having a rivalry with another just cos they play at the other end of town. Bear in mind for a lot of football fans football is all they have (trust me I know enough of them who's conversation rarely goes further than football. Sad really). And if their team loses to their rivals there is nothing worse. They want to close the curtains, put the duvet over their heads and sleep. Either that or kick someones head in. I'm more of the former.

What is there for the team to lose? Nothing really. Bring on the next game.

This sums it up better than I could

Sorry I wasn't more eloquent. I suspect demonrail can put it better than I did.

BTW, it's the everton/ liverpool derby next week. God I'm dreading it already.

Old 09.21.2014, 06:49 AM   #5640
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
H8Kurdt is spot on. The meaningfulness of rivalries in football is far more fan oriented. It's ritualistic and tied in with local identity far more than it is to a club's success or failure. Although some rivalries between the elite clubs creep into it. The Classico is between the two biggest clubs in Spain, as is the case with the old firm derby, so while the roots of their conflict might be social, winning those derbies has often been the difference between second place or league champions. But for the most part football rivalries are exactly how H8Kurdt describes them.

Quote:

FUKCING 3-1!! GET IN

At 2-1 I was far too nervous to enjoy it but when the 3rd went in it was beautiful. Lovely stuff.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
232272279280281 282 283284285292332382 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth