Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal thread for those who feel like SY broke their hearts with this one
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.02.2009, 11:56 AM   #161
alex_could
bad moon rising

alex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lechaoscestmoi
shut the fuck up.

the eternal rules.

you gave me bad reputation just because i don't like the eternal? i can see the connection now: those who say: "shut", "fuck", "rules" mostly like the new record. those who are more tolerant and able to write smth without bitching - they at least agree that the album isn't strong.
alex_could is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2009, 12:00 PM   #162
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
you are the only one who's bitching here. if you don't like the album, don't listen to it. as if sy don't have plenty more albums for you.

"ooh the yoof broke my little heart".. why don't you just go to the corner and cut yourself? loser.
lechaoscestmoi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2009, 12:05 PM   #163
alex_could
bad moon rising

alex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lechaoscestmoi
"ooh the yoof broke my little heart".. why don't you just go to the corner and cut yourself? loser.

Old 05.02.2009, 02:20 PM   #164
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
I always try not to come up with stuff like this but
what a fucking boring useless thread.
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2009, 02:35 PM   #165
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_could
i respect them, for what they did and for pleasure they gave me all these years. but it doesn't mean that i have to love their new record just because they're 50 y.o. they weren't so much younger when sonic nurse was released btw.

Robert Wyatt is 64 now and still he makes very good records.

and your point is? sy released experimental in 1993, it wasnt great... they released rather ripped in 2006 and it wasnt great.... the eternal was released in 2009 and it is great...

mark e smith released bend sinister in 1984 and it wasnt great
he released imperial wax solvent in 2008 and it was great......

you dont have to love a band because of their age, you have to love the music because of what it is... the eternal IS a fucking excellent record and i am growing more in love with it on every listen...i fear it may even creep into my top 5 sy albums of all time..im loving it... sonic nurse is a pretty good album BTW (whatever you meant by that).

i find this thread kinda stupid really... i mean everyone berates the new sonic album because it hasnt been as rocking as say goo or whatever... ive been here for murray st, nurse, rr and now the eternal and the same complaints happen all the time and the few that love the album and are willing to give up their indie street cred snobbery get pointed and laughed at... its stupid..

ok you dont like the album, all i can say is you are not listening hard enough..ive been an avid sy supporter since i was 14/15, thats 20 fucking years and i have rarely felt the joy on hearing an album by sy as i have this one...its a classic sy album, sorry it will be.. now thats my opinion and my opinion is as valid as the next mans but personally i think it pisses on rather ripped, sonic nurse, ejstans, ...maybe even murray st and a thousand leaves(that one was just too short) and thats after sleeping with the album for the last 5 days..i cant enough of it at the moment....shit even all kims songs rule on it..... and that shouldnt be because they were younger when the other albums came out....btw

im not here to row with you, i just dont get your point...age is relative and a 50 year old aint gonna make an album as criminally brilliant as daydream or evol...because why....its out of context with life...its all relevent......
Old 05.02.2009, 03:25 PM   #166
alex_could
bad moon rising

2PAULYBEE2656

you know when i 1st listened to rather ripped even, i was happy. though of course it's not as strong as "o'rourke trilogy" (nurse is in my top5 btw). but i felt so good listening to a new album of my favourite rock band. with eternal i feel nothing but dissappointed. for me "reena" and "jams run free" are much better than kim's songs on eternal.

understand, that i looked forward for eternal as others, and i'm not glad that it happened this way for me. but when i listen to it i feel like smth has changed in their music. and it would be self-deception to say that i like it. do you understand that? but when i write that i face mostly negative reactions: "you don't understand! listen again!". i will rather listen to trout mask replica again, cause that's really not simple.

you like this album and i don't. no problems, right?
Old 05.02.2009, 04:37 PM   #167
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_could
2PAULYBEE2656
..... i will rather listen to trout mask replica again, cause that's really not simple.

ha! yeah, ok....because you said that man, i agree with anything you say!
seriously.... i have no balls to break with you i just firmly believe this album is excellent...yknow maybe i believe it too much..... its a forum and we are all gonna have disagreements on simple uninportant shit like this but yknow... us sonic youth fans are an anal bunch....possibly the most anal bunch of anoraks any band has.....and thats cool too.......

...seriously tho...give it time....maybe..... who knows...... later!
Old 05.02.2009, 05:13 PM   #168
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I tend to see Sonic youth releases now as little more than interesting chapters in their ongoing story. For that reason I'll keep on buying their records; keen to know what they're doing, but with increasingly less expectations regarding their actual merits. Obviously I hope The Eternal is a great album but I'm honestly not that fussed either way. The Eternal will be a fascinating album regardless, simply because I find Sonic Youth a fascinating band.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2009, 05:30 PM   #169
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
So far, looking at setlists, they've only been playing a handful of tunes from Eternal at their recent shows. I hope for this summer tour they play ALL of them as they did for the last release, RR.

In 2006 when I saw them, they played ALL RR plus 5 other great tunes.

Fingers are crossed !

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2009, 06:54 PM   #170
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
When I saw them in 2006 they played everything from RR except Sleepin' Around. Haha, they must have know how much that song blows.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2009, 04:46 AM   #171
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I tend to see Sonic youth releases now as little more than interesting chapters in their ongoing story. For that reason I'll keep on buying their records; keen to know what they're doing, but with increasingly less expectations regarding their actual merits. Obviously I hope The Eternal is a great album but I'm honestly not that fussed either way. The Eternal will be a fascinating album regardless, simply because I find Sonic Youth a fascinating band.

I'm pretty much the same. I buy records most weeks. The Eternal will probably be one of them. And I'll probably try and like it twice, and then not bother again. And continuing posting on their forum, in spite of the fact there are lots of better things I could be doing.

Load of shit, innit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2009, 11:28 PM   #172
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses

pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2009, 08:20 AM   #173
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
i'm still mixed about The Eternal after several listens but a few things are very apparant as compared to almost any album they've done in the 2000's... the songs on this album are very immediate and tight, no real long forays into noise or weird sonic passages or at least they are kept to a minimum, where the focus is on song structure it is also sort of a weakness here, there are some songs that are just too bland and unengaging for me (ie Leaky Lifeboat) and others that are spotty with great moments meshed with some really off bland riff. I forget which song (i think Leaky Lifeboat again) has a riff thats lifted from that Helen Lundburg song or the other from that 7". The vocals are interesting and different, their sounds like a new guitar tuning on this album too. Definitely more of a heavier rock based sound on this album more like Dirty/Goo than Sonic Nurse or Rather Ripped. the song "What we Know" startf out to me sounding like a Pixies riff and then Thurston's guitar has a Polvo-esque whcked out chord too which is interesting... I dunno about the comparisons to the pre-DGC era i just don't hear much of that at all on this album.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2009, 08:29 AM   #174
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Sandbag]
I always try not to come up with stuff like this but
what a fucking boring useless thread.

this

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2009, 08:30 AM   #175
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
And continuing posting on their forum, in spite of the fact there are lots of better things I could be doing.

And definitely this.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2009, 01:35 PM   #176
alex_could
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
...seriously tho...give it time....maybe..... who knows...... later!

i'll listen to it again, undoubtedly!
but this time i will wait for better quality version.
Old 05.04.2009, 02:19 PM   #177
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

oh yeah!!!!
Old 05.05.2009, 04:14 PM   #178
Kannibal
children of satan

Kannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's asses
lovely, now i know not to get this album.

thanks.
Kannibal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 04:31 PM   #179
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannibal
lovely, now i know not to get this album.

thanks.
no, listen and make yr own judgement.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2009, 04:59 PM   #180
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i havnt actually heard it yet but i am just hoping to god its nothing like the last few albums because they really are boring by the numbers predictable efforts. i will wait until its released and give it a listen before i comment further.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth