Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums: 2017
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.21.2017, 07:19 PM   #301
gogologogolo
little trouble girl

gogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's asses
So far my contender for AOTY is the album Fabric of Time by the Yossarians. There's more than a little Swans influence here, but they bring enough to the table that it doesn't been like a rehash. I definitely have high expectations for these guys going forward.
gogologogolo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2017, 05:00 PM   #302
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogologogolo
So far my contender for AOTY is the album Fabric of Time by the Yossarians. There's more than a little Swans influence here, but they bring enough to the table that it doesn't been like a rehash. I definitely have high expectations for these guys going forward.

Thanks for the rec!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2017, 05:30 PM   #303
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Re: The Yossarians

OK, the first song sounds like Wire at their absolute catchiest (Chairs Missing) mated with Swans and had a really snarky child who's currently an overachieving sophomore at some tiny liberal studies school in the Pacific Northwest.

Fucking

Old 07.24.2017, 01:51 AM   #304
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
i haven't liked a whole lot from this year.

laurel halo - dust
kassel jaeger and jim o'rourke - wakes on cerulean
biosphere - the petrified forest
golden retreiver - rotations
daniel schmidt - in my arms, many flowers
jim o'rourke - steamroom 31 (not really new songs, but the full length 'generator' is amazing)

honorable mentions:
bellows -strand
sexworker - untitled ep
no ufos - lp for rs
bardo pond - under the pines
peaking lights - the fifth state of conciousness
growing - disorder
mount eerie - a crow looked at me (this is actually an amazing album, but it's so heart wrenching i can't listen to it. i talked to genevieve after a show and she was the sweetest person ever. we talked about sonic youth actually! washing machine was both our favorite sy album. we were at a record store and she bought sonic nurse under my recommendation.)

CAN'T WAIT for the upcoming kaitlyn aurelia smith
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2017, 09:40 AM   #305
Severian
invito al cielo

Yeah, that Mount Eerie album is rough. I don't have a lot of room for music that's that emotionally heavy and devastating, but it's pretty brilliant too. Very sad. I've met Phil a couple of times, but I don't think I ever met his wife. I was just a college kid showing up at D+ and Microphones shows back when I crossed paths with him. Sad stuff though. Jesus.

The year hasn't been overwhelming for me either. I've got some super obvious albums up near the top (Kendrick, Jay-Z), some really brilliant but not overly accessible electronic shit (Jlin, Arca, Visible Cloaks, Blanck Mass), a few alt rock type albums that are good in the way my 22-year-old self would have loved, but just don't do quite the same thing for me anymore (Spoon, Broken Social Scene, Flaming Lips), and a few weird surprises, like THE YOSSARIANS - FABRIC OF TIME and the new Jefre Cantu Ledesma.

But I don't think I've listened to so few new albums in a given year in quite some time.
Old 07.24.2017, 09:46 AM   #306
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
i've loved pretty much every cantu-ledesma but i can't get into the new one. i don't like the super saturated chorus pedal. i definitely don't like the vocal bits. my favorite of his is Songs of Forgiveness because it's so minimalist.
Old 07.24.2017, 10:10 AM   #307
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, that Mount Eerie album is rough. I don't have a lot of room for music that's that emotionally heavy and devastating, but it's pretty brilliant too. Very sad.

I hear you. I love love love Microphones/Mt Eerie. I've always tried to stay up on everything he puts out. And while I totally praise him for being able to be so raw and make this album, I don't know that I have it in me to listen. Not right now.

Phil's a brave dude, and I hope that this exercise has helped him.

I never met him, but I did meet Wolf Colonel several times who dubbed a cassette of Kool Keith songs off of me and passed it along to Phil and I was told that Phil loved it haha.

Speaking of Microphones, I actually have one of those limited Blood LP's that I've been considering selling for years. As you all know I'm not a vinyl collector.
Old 07.24.2017, 09:55 PM   #308
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I hear you. I love love love Microphones/Mt Eerie. I've always tried to stay up on everything he puts out. And while I totally praise him for being able to be so raw and make this album, I don't know that I have it in me to listen. Not right now.

Phil's a brave dude, and I hope that this exercise has helped him.

I never met him, but I did meet Wolf Colonel several times who dubbed a cassette of Kool Keith songs off of me and passed it along to Phil and I was told that Phil loved it haha.

Speaking of Microphones, I actually have one of those limited Blood LP's that I've been considering selling for years. As you all know I'm not a vinyl collector.

I think The Glow pt. 2 is one of the few albums that actually deserves its hype, and didn't deserve the back-peddling on the hype that came after. It really is as good, and possibly better, than Pitchfork and other said it was.

Fuck, it's emotionally heavy as fuck too, but I think it's better than In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. Maybe it's just my Pacific Northwest bias, but I'm pretty sure it's not and that I'm right.
Old 07.25.2017, 12:41 AM   #309
d.sound
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
nothing has haunted me more than when i saw blood at a record store (just getting into him) and it was 25 dollars. i thought "i haven't heard of this, i'll pick it up later". as i had already picked out a 30 dollar boredoms import record i wanted (re-bore 3? or something. it wasn't that good.)

also haunting me is my selling of "little bird flies into a big black cloud". i somehow managed to snag a brand new copy from a record store in pittsburgh. 11 bux! i think i got a hundred dollars out of it, but still.
Old 07.25.2017, 12:44 AM   #310
d.sound
the destroyed room

Quote:
Visible Cloaks
dude. i snatched this the other day and listened to it today. WOW!
Old 07.25.2017, 03:02 AM   #311
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound

seen them live, was a bit disappointing. that album is killer though.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2017, 11:33 AM   #312
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Yup. Been singing its praises all year really. I haven't listened to it in a while, but it made a hell of an impression in the first quarter of the year.

I have a feeling there are some other lower-profile electronic releases that I've missed this year... probably many. So if you have any suggestions, shout them out. Sounds like we have similar tastes.
Old 07.25.2017, 11:42 AM   #313
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
seen them live, was a bit disappointing. that album is killer though.

Is it just me or do shows by electronic acts kind of almost tend to be disappointing when they're an artist you already like, whose album you have fallen in love with?

I think so, a bit. I'm not into any drug scenes or anything (at least not anymore) so I just go for the music — not a party. And I've been kind of "meh" about shows by some big names that I love/loved like Aphex Twin and Amon Tobin, and while I may have really valued the experience (Aphex being absolute all-time favorite artist), I don't know that the show was really all that good.

Rather, I've tended to be floored when it's a DJ set or something by someone I've never heard of. Like, if I'm at a festival and I go to the DJ tent with zero expectations because no banner-names are on the bill, and I something that just blows me the fuck away. That's happened quite a bit. I go expecting to chill and have a beer or whatever with some background music, and something catches my ear, or some mashup of records hits me like a sucker punch, and then I'm just captivated.

I don't go to many electronic shows anymore, but I feel like the artist has to do something really special to make it a good *show* and not just good music playing. That, or, the surprise of being emotionally impacted by something you didn't expect.
Old 07.25.2017, 02:34 PM   #314
d.sound
the destroyed room

Quote:
I have a feeling there are some other lower-profile electronic releases that I've missed this year... probably many. So if you have any suggestions, shout them out. Sounds like we have similar tastes.

have you heard konrad sprenger - stack music? it's pretty cool. i'm listening to jaap vink - stroma right now. it's a retrospective of some cool 80s droning. tomutonttu has a new album. it's ok. not anything surprising. i had Max Eilbacher - Schizophrenia As Architecture on the list of great things this year but it turns out that came out on the tail end of '16.

oh i forgot, man forever - play what they want is pretty good, but not electronic.
Old 07.25.2017, 02:35 PM   #315
d.sound
the destroyed room

re: electronic musicians dj-ing

this annoys me. i saw mira calix perform once. i expected it to be her music, but she just spun some records. i can listen to records at home.
Old 07.25.2017, 07:56 PM   #316
gogologogolo
little trouble girl

gogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's assesgogologogolo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
have you heard konrad sprenger - stack music? it's pretty cool. i'm listening to jaap vink - stroma right now. it's a retrospective of some cool 80s droning. tomutonttu has a new album. it's ok. not anything surprising. i had Max Eilbacher - Schizophrenia As Architecture on the list of great things this year but it turns out that came out on the tail end of '16.

oh i forgot, man forever - play what they want is pretty good, but not electronic.
+1 to Stack Music. Frequency is the New Ecstasy by Teleplasmiste is also worth a listen
Old 07.25.2017, 07:57 PM   #317
gogologogolo
little trouble girl

Quote:
Re: The Yossarians

OK, the first song sounds like Wire at their absolute catchiest (Chairs Missing) mated with Swans and had a really snarky child who's currently an overachieving sophomore at some tiny liberal studies school in the Pacific Northwest.

Fucking

That's a pretty good description. Makes ya wonder how many great bands that get no practically no attention are out there waiting to be discovered.
Old 07.25.2017, 08:13 PM   #318
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
nothing has haunted me more than when i saw blood at a record store (just getting into him) and it was 25 dollars. i thought "i haven't heard of this, i'll pick it up later". as i had already picked out a 30 dollar boredoms import record i wanted (re-bore 3? or something. it wasn't that good.)

also haunting me is my selling of "little bird flies into a big black cloud". i somehow managed to snag a brand new copy from a record store in pittsburgh. 11 bux! i think i got a hundred dollars out of it, but still.

Hit me up if interested in Blood. Not looking to gouge.
Old 07.26.2017, 10:08 AM   #319
d.sound
the destroyed room

naw. i'm broke as fuck right now. maybe when i make it rich and famous making shitty noise music i'll hit you up.

i've been jamming ellen allien's berlinette the last couple of days. just saw she has a new record this year and am listening now. it is straight up old school four to the floor techno dance party, which usually annoys me, but this is really good. it's called "nost".
Old 07.27.2017, 03:00 AM   #320
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Is it just me or do shows by electronic acts kind of almost tend to be disappointing when they're an artist you already like, whose album you have fallen in love with?

I don't go to many electronic shows anymore, but I feel like the artist has to do something really special to make it a good *show* and not just good music playing. That, or, the surprise of being emotionally impacted by something you didn't expect.

Not necessarily. There have been numerous electronic live acts that have blown me away - last one I recall was Squarepusher 2 weeks ago (on the same festival that I had played) - boy, that was some proper minfuck.
Also, just from top of my head, the ones that were truly memorable, were for example Fennesz (sometime around 2002-2003), Autechre, Loscil, Amnesia Scanner, etc.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
131415 16 171819 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth