Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page One of many reasons religion is an awful thing.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.01.2012, 07:56 PM   #1
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/27/us...r-lawsuit.html

I know we're told to not always judge the religious based off of their actions and to look at the bibles they read instead...but shit like this makes me wonder how much most people actually believe. Faith can be an awful, awful, awful thing. Poisonous.

This girl kicks ass though. Just hate that she's got to put up with this sort of shit.

(also, I've read the Christian version of the bible. It's some of the most evil shit I've ever read).
Old 02.01.2012, 08:15 PM   #2
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
herp derp a-derp.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2012, 08:20 PM   #3
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I don't believe in anything that doesn't offer enough evidence to actually be tested...which is why god doesn't belong in schools. Zero evidence of god. Of course this doesn't prove god doesn't exist, but it does absolutely nothing to support him either.

Sucks any student has to put up with shit like this. Almost as fucked up as having to listen to a science teacher talk about creationism. Pseudo-science needs to stay in it's place...far outside of schools/politics/etc.
Old 02.01.2012, 08:34 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
I don't believe in anything.

Fixed that for you

ps..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2012, 08:39 PM   #5
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Well, morals ("ethics", whatever...) are something that are taught through various means as is anything else...unfortunately, there are ignorant people out there that legitimately believe morals wouldn't exist without god, this is however by NO means true.

A quote I read somewhere recently that I liked (unfortunately I forget who said it):

""you're right I'm not moral because morals is a set of behavioral guidelines derived from authority whether real or imagined and I don't use morality in my day to day life to make decisions, however I'm a very ethical person, and I think that social ethics as they evolved out of social dynamics, are a better course to pursue then morality, because if you're being a moral person, and you are doing what the authority has instructed you to do, that authority may not in itself be moral. So for me social ethics are the way to go."
Old 02.01.2012, 08:44 PM   #6
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Ever wonder why god never intervenes and aids the faithful with intelligent responses in religious debates? They have the same ammunition they've always had....nothing.
Old 02.01.2012, 09:26 PM   #7
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Fixed that for you

ps..

The burden of proof lies on you. If you want me to take your claims seriously, you'd better come up with something tangible....if you can not, you lose (which lets face it, you already do anyway).

Your god is about as real as Humpty Dumpty. < (farrrrrrrrr easier for me to prove this than it is for you to prove the alternative, and ya know it fucker).
Old 02.01.2012, 10:09 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The burden of proof lies on you. If you want me to take your claims seriously, you'd better come up with something tangible....if you can not, you lose (which lets face it, you already do anyway).

Your god is about as real as Humpty Dumpty. < (farrrrrrrrr easier for me to prove this than it is for you to prove the alternative, and ya know it fucker).

I can only speak for myself, its not my business to convince you to believe in anything other then the common decency of being polite. You are right, there is morality aside from God, but clearly sometimes you run your mouth too much and fail to express any sense of morals or even common sense.. If you were really so cool and calm about your lack of faith, then you wouldn't really such an attention whore and a prick about it, but while you may think my faith is a Humpty Dumpty story, your house of cards is far less stable. By the way, Humpty Dumpty is a good analogy, the Fathers of the Church discovered the core of the human condition, the source of all our fear and anger, stems from the fracture between the reasoning mind and the feeling heart/soul. The mind simply does not have enough strength of character to exist separated from the heart, and that is why people are so selfish, angry, jealous, and even stupid (myself included). This all the more reason why we are Humpty Dumpty, and we need something transcendental, something beyond and bigger then individual selves, something which I understand to be called God but you can call Him whatever you like, to put US back together. God is not broken, we are. Besides, Freud and Jung already mentioned that folks never grow up and mature until they forgive their parents of all the supposed mistakes we wrongfully blame them on. It is the same cosmically with God, until we all learn to forgive God, then we will all be a bunch of broken-hearted mother fuckers..

By the way, y'all again are right, people can exist just fine without religion. The Dali Lhama just put forth a great analogy philosophically speaking. He said that in life, religion is like tea, and the water that is the base is compassion. Like tea, religion and faith is spiced with healing, consoling, strengthening additives collected from across the world, and the water is compassion, empathy, morality, politeness which religion is based and built upon. Just as man can live without tea, but must drink water, so to can we live without God, but surely we can't live without compassion and empathy and politeness, something which even atheistic evolutionary theory strongly suggests. You sir, lately have expressed and espoused neither compassion nor politeness, and as them elders say, you reap what you sow and you give what you get, so don't be surprised if all this cynicism doesn't come and bite you in the ass.

As we again say in Rastafari, "and all them fireman that kindle the fire got to burn the fire according to the same fire plan, for the fire is not partial, not even to them that burn the fire."

Old 02.01.2012, 10:35 PM   #9
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I can only speak for myself, its not my business to convince you to believe in anything other then the common decency of being polite. You are right, there is morality aside from God, but clearly sometimes you run your mouth too much and fail to express any sense of morals or even common sense.. If you were really so cool and calm about your lack of faith, then you wouldn't really such an attention whore and a prick about it, but while you may think my faith is a Humpty Dumpty story, your house of cards is far less stable. By the way, Humpty Dumpty is a good analogy, the Fathers of the Church discovered the core of the human condition, the source of all our fear and anger, stems from the fracture between the reasoning mind and the feeling heart/soul. The mind simply does not have enough strength of character to exist separated from the heart, and that is why people are so selfish, angry, jealous, and even stupid (myself included). This all the more reason why we are Humpty Dumpty, and we need something transcendental, something beyond and bigger then individual selves, something which I understand to be called God but you can call Him whatever you like, to put US back together. God is not broken, we are. Besides, Freud and Jung already mentioned that folks never grow up and mature until they forgive their parents of all the supposed mistakes we wrongfully blame them on. It is the same cosmically with God, until we all learn to forgive God, then we will all be a bunch of broken-hearted mother fuckers..

By the way, y'all again are right, people can exist just fine without religion. The Dali Lhama just put forth a great analogy philosophically speaking. He said that in life, religion is like tea, and the water that is the base is compassion. Like tea, religion and faith is spiced with healing, consoling, strengthening additives collected from across the world, and the water is compassion, empathy, morality, politeness which religion is based and built upon. Just as man can live without tea, but must drink water, so to can we live without God, but surely we can't live without compassion and empathy and politeness, something which even atheistic evolutionary theory strongly suggests. You sir, lately have expressed and espoused neither compassion nor politeness, and as them elders say, you reap what you sow and you give what you get, so don't be surprised if all this cynicism doesn't come and bite you in the ass.

As we again say in Rastafari, "and all them fireman that kindle the fire got to burn the fire according to the same fire plan, for the fire is not partial, not even to them that burn the fire."

The common decency of being polite? You called me a racist fucker before I said ANYTHING even remotely derogatory to you. Here's another example of religious hypocricism at it's finest. If ya dish out shit, expect to receive it in return. If ya take offense to it, learn to keep your mouth shut. This area is the area I will ALWAYS ATTACK you and you're kind in...simply because, as I said earlier, your "god" didn't give you any bullets.

Common sense? Are you serious? You believe in god and all sorts of invisible/spiritual beings. If the majority of the world didn't agree with you I'd call you delusional...but then again this same majority of the world considers themselves a minority. Idiots. Ever wonder why the poorer someone else, the less educated, the more likely they are to believe in god?

And I'm NOT cool or calm about my lack of faith. I live in a world that expects me to have some sort of hushed sense of respect toward people like you, while I have to hear (am in some cases forced) to hear your type of bullshit on a regular basis. Many of these same sorts think it's rude or ignorant for me to even mention a lack of faith. I think more atheistic attention whores will make this world a better place. Maybe put a bit of balance into things, finally. If ya pay attention to the news it's already happening regardless. I'm glad to see it and look forward to more of it. Want to know what it feels like to be a minority? Be vocal about the fact that you're an atheist to anyone that will listen...especially those closest to you. Kids get disowned by parents for that shit in some parts of the woods.

Religion is a fucking poison, man. When observing it, observing it's history, it's done far more harm than good. Atheists don't do things for any promise of some afterlife reward. War isn't usually started over our lack of belief. We don't usually fly planes into buildings or blow up buildings in Oklahoma. We don't kidnap native Americans to prove we've discovered someone elses land. I don't know much in the way about atheist supporting slavery or rape (two things which aren't even mentioned in the ten commandments....probably because both are more or less deemed OK through out the vast majority of the bible). We don't have stupid arguments with people of other faiths about what we know the afterlife is or isn't. We don't give our children answers to questions we don't really have answers to. We don't claim stupid shit like "we all had to come from something" all the while believing in a god that came from absolutely nothing. It's fucking dumb.

John Lennon looked forward to the day Christianity would end. I do to (and I really don't give too much of a shit about John Lennon).

I've officially said everything I feel any need (currently) to say to you. If you'd like to continue, fine...because honestly I enjoy this shit. It's good therapy and reminds me why I believe the way I believe.
Old 02.01.2012, 10:38 PM   #10
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
"woah man god can't be real because science"

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2012, 10:40 PM   #11
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadetHayden
"woah man god can't be real because science"

dumb.
Old 02.01.2012, 10:49 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
The common decency of being polite? You called me a racist fucker before I said ANYTHING even remotely derogatory to you..

No, but what you said was racist and mean spirited, and I called you on it, and you are still defensive hours later precisely because it hit mark...

Get over yourself. I can only wait until you calm down and feel better and start talking about cool shit again and stop trolling around on some I hate the world and fuck everybody but me pity party, and then, its good times we will share. Siddhartha, are you just barely coming out of the palace yet, I thought you were already old enough to know better then be a pissed of 15 year old.

If your not racist, be more careful at what slips out of your mouth, after all, you actually are typing and writing this, so you really should be able to at the least censor yourself. You've said other such things in the past, and on that thread, so if your not a racist, then stop pretending, you sure fooled me. I already know you hate God, that is not my business, you don't have to step on my toes about it. I only stepped on your toes because your negativity was stepping all over mine, and that was the first blood ATTACK as you mentioned of impoliteness. I should be polite to you, true, and I will apologize, but unfortunately I'm still a bit uncouth and street, sometimes I still got to bust lips spiritually speaking if not literally, and my brother, I'm trying to be nice, but you sure like running your grill.. I guess I'll just have to pray about that one too...

Quote:
Then don't spew racist garbage on the Forum, you already know I'll pull your card, that's why you were trolling around in the first place. I know its the internet and its hard to maintain, but please try to grow up, especially if you are trying to have a semi-coherent conversation about politics. By the way, you may think I'm the lunatic, but your the one with all that anger. Want tangible proof of what God can do? I used to be so angry I could have killed people, and have tried. But then I came to understand that the problem was me, and let God heal my anger and wounds, and let God bring me into the perspective of the big picture. That way I don't get jealous of migrant workers "spending all my tax money" and realistically, I ain't even that mad at you, I'm just pulling your card because from my experience, the only way to deal with a bully or a class clown or bigot is to simply call em out straight up on it, because they only learned such outlandish misbehavior by the indifference of others who decided to ignore it. I actually care about you, and you always spew a bunch of angry bullshit whenever you are feeling pissy about life, sometimes you are actually quite cool and enjoyable, others just a plain olde fashioned asshole. I know that in time, just as my anger problem was resolved, inevitably you also will get over all this shit that is wrong with you as illustrated by the bullshit you spew here. Just as in time, I will also heal beyond having to even respond to your troll bait. Even me and AmerikanGod had our moments, I even got to khChris that surely bastard, and me and you will have our moment again.

I'll be waiting and positive when you get off your rag, get at me then.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Old 02.01.2012, 10:54 PM   #13
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
dumb.

i was just paraphrasing you

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2012, 10:58 PM   #14
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
No, but what you said was racist and mean spirited, and I called you on it, and you are still defensive hours later precisely because it hit mark...

Get over yourself. I can only wait until you calm down and feel better and start talking about cool shit again and stop trolling around on some I hate the world and fuck everybody but me pity party, and then, its good times we will share. Siddhartha, are you just barely coming out of the palace yet, I thought you were already old enough to know better then be a pissed of 15 year old.

If your not racist, be more careful at what slips out of your mouth, after all, you actually are typing and writing this, so you really should be able to at the least censor yourself. You've said other such things in the past, and on that thread, so if your not a racist, then stop pretending, you sure fooled me. I already know you hate God, that is not my business, you don't have to step on my toes about it. I only stepped on your toes because your negativity was stepping all over mine, and that was the first blood ATTACK as you mentioned of impoliteness. I should be polite to you, true, and I will apologize, but unfortunately I'm still a bit uncouth and street, sometimes I still got to bust lips spiritually speaking if not literally, and my brother, I'm trying to be nice, but you sure like running your grill.. I guess I'll just have to pray about that one too...

Again, false assumptions. I like most people...just not, you know, people like you. The situation involving illegal immigrant workers in the US IS a problem. It's a problem for them 9otherwise they wouldn't be here) and it's a problem for us. Most of the money earned isn't even really contributed back the the country they earned it in...it's sent home. AND YES, I feel bad for their situation and in their shoes I'd be doing the same thing. I don't blame them. But again, it is a problem. The fact that they are Mexicans, alone, has nothing to do with it. You say I need to watch what slips my mouth, I think you need to be more careful when it comes to reading. You read a tone that wasn't there. Just because I point out that someone is Chinese doesn't mean I prejudice against Asians.

Pray all you fucking want.

A recent study (I'll find it for you if ya'd like) showed the differences between cancer patients being prayed for, and those that were not. There were no differences between the two. I'm not going to tell ya not to waste you're time, just please....quit wasting mine. Thanks.
Old 02.01.2012, 10:59 PM   #15
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadetHayden
i was just paraphrasing you

Actually, you were not. I've never once said I knew god didn't exist (only fools claim to know either way for a fact). I said science has yet to come up with a single shred of evidence that supports god....which, ya know, is a fact. Therefor there is no reason for me to believe in god.
Old 02.01.2012, 11:08 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

A recent study (I'll find it for you if ya'd like) showed the differences between cancer patients being prayed for, and those that were not. There were no differences between the two. I'm not going to tell ya not to waste you're time, just please....quit wasting mine. Thanks.

Prayer is NOT about curing cancer, not that doctors have really had any better a success rate by the way, its about curing the broken and fearful heart and learning to embrace reality however it may exist, and doing the best we can with the opportunities we are given.

I am sorry if I read to much into your posts or offended you, but I'm still rather wary of your crypto-explanations, they are a bit enlightening..

Old 02.02.2012, 12:01 AM   #17
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Prayer is about curing cancer, not that doctors have really had any better a success rate by the way, its about curing the broken and fearful heart and learning to embrace reality however it may exist, and doing the best we can with the opportunities we are given.

I am sorry if I read to much into your posts or offended you, but I'm still rather wary of your crypto-explanations, they are a bit enlightening..
Jesus raised the dead back to life. Walked across water. Said the faith of a mustard seed could move mountains. How come i've never witnessed anything like this? I know some pretty strong believers. Also, if i've offended you i also apologize. That said, i don't think it s something that matters much either way. You clearly noticed the positiv rep i gave ya...it was an accident. Possibly a meaniful accident, but i definitely intended for it to be negative.
Old 02.02.2012, 01:10 AM   #18
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
The ACLU & the Freedom From Religion people have this sort of annoying stick up their butt "not one domino shall fall" sort of attitude getting their panties in a twist over the smallest of things.

The girl felt that she didn't belong in her high school everytime she saw that prayer? What student feels like they do belong in their high school in the first place.

I think the namecalling of the young hot chick was over the line, but you can't blame a peaceful little town for getting upset when some big litigious organization comes rolls into their town & gives it a bunch of national negative attention & tells them what to do.

There was a local town here that was in trouble because of a nativity displayed on public property. Freedom From Religion bused protesters in and such.

I don't know, I don't feel the pledge of allegiance is threatening my freedom of religion or the separation of church & state. When they start charging me taxes for not having a declared denomination or putting armbands on people you can then color me concerned.

Now should the prayer have been in the school? Probably not. Most schools have mission statements.

The whole "evils of religion" thing I think is a bit overblown. I think people are just shitty to begin with. We're animals, and animals do shitty things to each other.

Talking about the "evils of religion" is just a nice way to prepackage and stereotype billions of people & hate them all at once.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2012, 01:46 AM   #19
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
This is a dumb fucking topic. I don't care what you think about religion.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2012, 02:09 AM   #20
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
This is a dumb fucking topic. I don't care what you think about religion.
Uh,ok. Why did you even respond to it then? Shouldn't you be off crying about kim and t bird?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth