Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page (actual) world cup thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.15.2010, 04:54 PM   #101
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
duh, mr obvious, but if you place 1st you play an easy team (the 2nd of the adjacent group) in the next round. less nerves, less fatigue, less injuries, better chance to make it to quarterfinals in one piece. italy placed 1st in its group in 2006 thanks to goal difference. if brazil places 2nd for some reason, they'll likely face spain in the next round. (well let's see how spain plays).

plus, the embarrassment of placing 2nd for brazil!

"ruim" "horroroso"

So if Brazil end up second in their group that automatically makes them an "easy team"?
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 04:54 PM   #102
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
crucified, why? they deserved that one.

also it's a well known fact that brazil is never impressive against teams they underestimate and/or initial stages of the world cup.

well known fact.

From what I understand, Dunga is at best tolerated in Brazil, both by the press and fans. The hate the way he gets his team to play, abandoning the whole 'beautiful game' ethos (Ronaldinho didn't even make his squad!). While the brazilian fans and press want Brazil to do well, there's a side of them that wants them to fuck up enough for Dunga to be sacked. The same thing happens in the UK all the time, both at club and national level.

Brazil got better after the goal (and if that was intentional then my name's David Beckham) but N Korea played really well - especially compared with what was expected of them - and I certainly don't think either the Ivory Coast or Portugal will relish playing them. I certainly don't think any of the major contenders looked at their performance tonight and panicked. They certainly look beatable. Saying that being able to win while playing badly is the sign of a great time. (Football cliche #4563)

Without seeing Spain yet, the only team that's really impressed me has been Germany, and even they weren't exactly tested. Of the outsiders/no-hopers, I'd probably say N Korea look the most likely to exceed expectations. Early days yet though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 04:56 PM   #103
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
So if Brazil end up second in their group that automatically makes them an "easy team"?

If they finish second playing like that, then yes, potentially. France got to within a penalty shoot-out of wining the last final. They hardly look like trophy winners at the moment, though.
Old 06.15.2010, 04:57 PM   #104
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ps- in this poll in o globo, 20% consider the team's performance "mais out menos", 40% "ruim" and 25% "horrorosa"

http://oglobo.globo.com/esportes/cop...-916886397.asp

look down the bottom of the first paragraph where it sez "( Gostou da atuação do Brasil? Vote )"

yes, with the difference that they do that everytime. It's been a long time since 4-0 results are not expected, at least if you look at everything that has happened in the lst four years. On his side, every tournament since he became the manager has been won, and he doesn't have the amazing players of the previous cups. It's not like people will admire him any less if we lose, it's all really just sport and fun (mostly).

I have never seen people classify it as any better than "horroroso" unless you got the cup in your hands. Don't forget that self-loathing is always estimulated.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 05:01 PM   #105
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
i was excited to vote horroroso but i need an account, too lazy
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 05:22 PM   #106
moppity
little trouble girl

moppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's asses
Rather excited about last night's NZ - Slovakia game. Our first point at world cup football. And the best thing is that the faint glimmer of (unrealistic) hope remains, which will make watching the next two games all the better.
moppity is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 06:07 PM   #107
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I missed the beginning of that game. Did the NZ team do a haka before kickoff?
Old 06.15.2010, 06:45 PM   #108
moppity
little trouble girl

moppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's asses
No they didn't do a haka. Which was kind of a relief really. It's always a bit of a lol when anyone other than the All Blacks do a haka (well, the Pacific Island nations do a good haka too). To pull a haka off, you need the physique, and the mystique, neither of which the NZ football team really has, if we're being honest.
moppity is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2010, 11:09 PM   #109
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i think you got it a bit mixed up, and it's ok, there's too much info out there.

there are a lot of players in national teams that play "abroad" with respect to their home countries-- especially those in poor countries or those who don't have very strong professional leagues. e.g., the best american players don't play in the MLS, but abroad.

eg, tim howard was born in brunswick, new jersey: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Howard but he does play in england.

see more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men's_national_soccer_team

of course, 'merica being a country of immigrants and having little soccer tradition, it's going to have imports (real imports) in the team, but not nearly as many as it used to have back in the day. e.g. feilhaber was born in brazil but moved to the us when he was 6 (oh my! foreigners!) but no, in reality what you have lots is kids from immigrant parents.

most soccer teams however it's 100% national meat. seriously. well, england's got an italian coach, ha ha ha...

now, while most if not all of the italian national team plays in italy, the PROFESSIONAL italian teams are full of imports. check out the inter milan, current european champions:

http://sports.yahoo.com/fbit/teams/int/roster

that's a truly international team, eh? not a lot of italians. but if you search well, you'll find materazzo there, who played for his national team today. the other dudes are with their own national teams, e.g., lucio, who is the captain of the brazilian team. all very complicated. yet, all of the brazilian national team are native brazilians.

now, if you think about american sports-- how many native californians play for the l.a. lakers?

anyway, im tired, gotta go crash early today. but don't let this import theory kill your enjoyment of ritual world war! it certainly beats nukes.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to !@#$%! again.

i'm skippin the last day of work to wake up just as early to catch the US game on friday. after all, there is a great chance that these next two will be out only games, so I'd like to enjoy the opportunity. I can just go in late, I do have 18hours of unused sick time, perhaps I can just take a sick day with extended overtime

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2010, 09:05 AM   #110
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 06.16.2010, 09:42 AM   #111
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYGKPut_iNQ
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2010, 10:57 AM   #112
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i just watched the last 15 minutes of spain losing to switzerland. poor bastards! favorite or not, i've said this before and i repeat it today: those people are jinxes, and doomed to lose, european championship notwhitstanding. (i just saw this shot the the goalpost-- poor bastards!)

i'm looking forward to see the rerun later, it looks like switzerland played really well.

chile beat honduras! hurray!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2010, 10:58 AM   #113
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
good job spain, nice pressure,dominating possesion,excellent passing. too bad you can't aim, could have gotten 400 goals...better than 0
Old 06.16.2010, 11:02 AM   #114
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Spain woke up after the goal and I thought Switzerland deserved the win, despite not being all that great. Biggest upset of the tournament so far, easy. If Spain qualify second in their group it's gonna have major implications on the knockout stages all round.
Old 06.16.2010, 11:05 AM   #115
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

honestly i think they were dominant from the start, but when your shots go outside the bar it doesn't work out. their defense was a fault too, i mean the swiss barely had any offensive opportunities and still managed to bang that one off the post later
Old 06.16.2010, 11:07 AM   #116
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
they were dominant from the start, but when your shots go outside the bar it doesn't work out.
you could take this sentence and give it the title "history of spain in the world cups"
Old 06.16.2010, 11:09 AM   #117
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
-FUPPETS- Top Ten Things About The World Cup
Old 06.16.2010, 11:09 AM   #118
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I missed the swiss goal. damnit
Old 06.16.2010, 11:16 AM   #119
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
VUVUZUELAS [...] So many idiots have been complaining about them,
Almost everyone has been complainig about it. Except you.
So you're the only one who's not idiot.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2010, 11:17 AM   #120
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

ha ha, awesome! i agree with 90% of it (the vuvuzelas can die in a fire)
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth