Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Suicide Squad?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.19.2016, 12:41 PM   #41
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, but you often have to wait behind an overweight couple in sweatpants while they fight with their kids about how many games they can rent. I've tried, but I've never actually made it to the box.

I don't do it often, really. Never with books, only in the direst of circumstances with music (and also, I only do it with albums that I have purchased and am waiting for, or albums I intend to purchase as soon as humanly possible.) Usually with a release that's important enough to me that I feel like I need to own the physical copy, in which case I'll consider a TPB visit while I'm waiting for te delivery. But I think the last time I did that was with the Life of Pablo, and I ended up subscribing to TIDAL for access to that thing, and then going to the official website and paying $20 for a digital purchase MONTHS after I'd already had access to it.

I try to be fair, but if an album "comes out" and I physically cannot buy it, then I will do what I have to do to be able to listen to it. I live in a small town for the first time in my life, and having no record store fucks up the whole process.

Same with movies. If I can, I'll rent, or go to the theater. But small town theaters don't show films like the Witch or Green Room, so my being employed an adult has no bearing on my ability to see it.

I always prefer owning things, or at least paying for what I get.

You wound me, sir.

the rent vs buy argument is another kind of debate, but pirating in a day when EVERYTHING can be purchased online is the new wrong-kind-of-white-people with sweatpants at the register, shoplifting. (i wrote this as counterpoint to your classist postures)

i mean, napster was great--i owe napster my life. it opened up everything. but it's 2016 now and everything that was hidden is available cheaply online--even labels that won't stream will release mp3s and flacs, which makes stealing digital goods the true passé activity. i remember putting together a file exchange group here-- last i used it or contributed to it was 2006. nobody needs it anymore.

i mean, capitalism works by incentives. remove or reduce the incentives and things stop getting produced. now that all music is digital, there's no excuse for working adults to thieve. students and the starving class and citizens of developing countries okay.

does the future game of thrones cancellation have anything to do with the billions of illegal downloads every season? i wouldn't say all of it, but i'm sure it's part of the calculus. it's costs vs revenues.

anyway, redbox can be booked online for when you stop at the drugstore for beer and cigarettes. when you return the thing they start sending you coupons so you can pick up another trash movie when you return for your prescription.

i use it only rarely so as not to interfere with my criterion rentals from netflix for shit like the wolverine or the hangover 6 or whatever. cuz netflix won't stream criterion (hulu does) so you gotta get a disc if you don't get hulu (i don't). so anyway yes, redbox is the easy path to trash movies. netflix rentals on the other hand still has a good selection of good films that are not streamable through them (but are through other services).

as for the rent vs. buy: i prefer to rent because owning is a pain in the ass. owning implies maintaining--sorting, transfering, backing up, etc. fuck that shit, i already have too much office work. so i get 99% of my music from streaming services these days because it's much easier to handle while drinking-- let them sort and back up and reissue. can't wait till every label is on it, and i wouldn't mind paying more for that-- i'd pay extra $2/mo for a drag city "channel". come on spotifried.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2016, 06:36 PM   #42
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the rent vs buy argument is another kind of debate, but pirating in a day when EVERYTHING can be purchased online is the new wrong-kind-of-white-people with sweatpants at the register, shoplifting. (i wrote this as counterpoint to your classist postures)

i mean, napster was great--i owe napster my life. it opened up everything. but it's 2016 now and everything that was hidden is available cheaply online--even labels that won't stream will release mp3s and flacs, which makes stealing digital goods the true passé activity. i remember putting together a file exchange group here-- last i used it or contributed to it was 2006. nobody needs it anymore.

i mean, capitalism works by incentives. remove or reduce the incentives and things stop getting produced. now that all music is digital, there's no excuse for working adults to thieve. students and the starving class and citizens of developing countries okay.

does the future game of thrones cancellation have anything to do with the billions of illegal downloads every season? i wouldn't say all of it, but i'm sure it's part of the calculus. it's costs vs revenues.

anyway, redbox can be booked online for when you stop at the drugstore for beer and cigarettes. when you return the thing they start sending you coupons so you can pick up another trash movie when you return for your prescription.

i use it only rarely so as not to interfere with my criterion rentals from netflix for shit like the wolverine or the hangover 6 or whatever. cuz netflix won't stream criterion (hulu does) so you gotta get a disc if you don't get hulu (i don't). so anyway yes, redbox is the easy path to trash movies. netflix rentals on the other hand still has a good selection of good films that are not streamable through them (but are through other services).

as for the rent vs. buy: i prefer to rent because owning is a pain in the ass. owning implies maintaining--sorting, transfering, backing up, etc. fuck that shit, i already have too much office work. so i get 99% of my music from streaming services these days because it's much easier to handle while drinking-- let them sort and back up and reissue. can't wait till every label is on it, and i wouldn't mind paying more for that-- i'd pay extra $2/mo for a drag city "channel". come on spotifried.

Shrug. I'm IRL shrugging right now. Guess I'm a classist because I don't like standing in line, and a thief because I downloaded Pablo after I paid for the first time, but before I paid for it a second time.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2016, 06:43 PM   #43
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Shrug. I'm IRL shrugging right now. Guess I'm a classist because I don't like standing in line, and a thief because I downloaded Pablo after I paid for the first time, but before I paid for it a second time.
no idea about pablo.

i mean the talk of the "fat people with sweatpants" on the line

aka "the poors"

which-- like a good limousine liberal, you can't stand comfortably among them
Old 08.19.2016, 09:14 PM   #44
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
like a good limousine liberal, you can't stand comfortably among them

You'd be surprised. It really wasn't a comment about poor people. It was a comment about people. I wasn't thinking about money when I said that. I mean, I see how it sounded, but trusted me, I genuinely didn't mean it that way. you've got the wrong guy.

Anyway, now I feel bad.
Old 08.20.2016, 09:36 AM   #45
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
You'd be surprised. It really wasn't a comment about poor people. It was a comment about people. I wasn't thinking about money when I said that. I mean, I see how it sounded, but trusted me, I genuinely didn't mean it that way. you've got the wrong guy.

Anyway, now I feel bad.
yeah man you sounded like you were too cool to rub elbows with the unwashed masses but in love with apple products and piracy--like a character right out of stuff white people like. know what i mean?

i hate it when aspirationals think they're better than "the people of walmart," and i'm quick to ire. so-- i'm sorry for my part in the misunderstanding (it WAS a misunderstanding, right?) and of course the ire.

in any case, yes-- redbox is the place to get blockbuster movies for cheap and without a subscription. they also rent games if you're into that. cheap, easy, and reliably low-tech.
Old 08.20.2016, 11:02 AM   #46
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah man you sounded like you were too cool to rub elbows with the unwashed masses but in love with apple products and piracy--like a character right out of stuff white people like. know what i mean?

i hate it when aspirationals think they're better than "the people of walmart," and i'm quick to ire. so-- i'm sorry for my part in the misunderstanding (it WAS a misunderstanding, right?) and of course the ire.

in any case, yes-- redbox is the place to get blockbuster movies for cheap and without a subscription. they also rent games if you're into that. cheap, easy, and reliably low-tech.

Yeah, it was a misunderstanding, but I see how what I said could have translated that way. I don't have a great explanation, other than that I was trying to be funny and failed. I just got off the phone with a dear friends of mine, was helping him with some insurance paperwork that he's FINALLY being given through his employer after nine months of 10 hour days. He's divorced and lives with his mom because he can't get by on what he makes. It all goes to child support. I'm definitely not a limo liberal, even if I'm also not living in abject poverty. I guess you'll just have to take my word on that. Or not.

Sorry.
Old 08.20.2016, 11:30 AM   #47
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
red box stinks. I can't even see the cover of the movies from rainy mildew and all the smeary finger prints on the screen. the thing just sits there looking helpless. sometimes ill stand there if a hot ass is ahead of me. then I walk off. the best one is at Walgreens.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2016, 11:46 AM   #48
Severian
invito al cielo

I agree. It's just a wholly unpleasant experience, and it has nothing to do with the class of people who use it. But yeah, it does look sad. Like a big dumb sad obsolete robot, just taking up space. Someday maybe Red Box will be a supporting character in a Toy Story movie. We'll all feel sorry for the big cumbersome oaf, and Woody will befriend him or whatever.
Old 08.20.2016, 11:55 AM   #49
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

think of it as a condom dispenser for the mind

you don't get the top brands but it saves you in a pinch
Old 08.20.2016, 12:53 PM   #50
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
think of it as a condom dispenser for the mind

you don't get the top brands but it saves you in a pinch

Waka-waka!
Old 08.20.2016, 12:57 PM   #51
Severian
invito al cielo

Btw: you should know better than to think I'm some kind of rich guy. I was making a very good salary when I first started chatting with you, but you'll remember I was also laid off, and spent several months on unemployment.
Also, I work in print media now. I love it, but.. well... do the math.
Old 08.20.2016, 01:21 PM   #52
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Btw: you should know better than to think I'm some kind of rich guy. I was making a very good salary when I first started chatting with you, but you'll remember I was also laid off, and spent several months on unemployment.
Also, I work in print media now. I love it, but.. well... do the math.
yeah i didn't think you're rich or anything-- i know your situation

but people have certain attitudes

i guess what irks me (more than irks me) is that in this country:

if you look down on people of color you're a racist. if you look down on women you're a sexist. if you look down on gay people you're a homophobe, on transgenders a transphobe, etc.

but if you look down on the poor-- hey, it's open season on the poor!

i mean to call someone "poor" is actually an insult. you can't make fun of someone on a wheelchair-- but the poors? they supposedly chose it and it means they're stupid, etc.

so in america there will never be a revolution because the poor are programmed for self-hate.

it's not that i'm "for" a revolution really, but in america there's this false notion that everyone is middle class.

this is of course bullshit. there are aristocrats and there are the poor and there's a shrinking middle.

and the poor are told they could be middle class if they only got an education, the middle could be rich if only they played their cards right, so if you're poor it's your choice and you're shit (i know, i'm repeating myself here). the aspirationals are the one who act and spend like a class above without having the actual means (this is where heavy indebtedness comes from).

but nowaways the middle class is proletarized and the poor are the underclass. "hey look at those obsese poor people on a steady diet of sugar and starches! look at their cheap tshirts! ha ha ha!" etc.

i fucking hate that.

the other thing you'd know if you weren't american (because those things are overt and not hidden in other countries) is that social class is not strictly tied to income.

you can be a ruined aristocrat and still an aristocrat. you can be a rich peasant and still a peasant. you can be a self-hating poor. and those attitudes can carry through generations. class attitudes don't depend on last month's paycheck but on a history of social interactions that get bred into individuals.

anyway that's what was behind that.

but yeah, just like everyone in a racialized world is inevitably tainted with racism, everyone in a society with class divisions is going to be classist to an extent. and yeah, that maybe is an unavoidable fact of life in spite of claims of classless utopias, but people shouldn't be shamed for their differences from the elites and the servants of the elites. that shit makes me foam at the mouth like a rabid dog.
Old 08.20.2016, 05:19 PM   #53
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Ok so I watched the movie today. I wish there was more focus on Joker and Harley Quinn's relationship. Some of it was definitely dumb.. and I felt it could've been better for sure. But it wasn't bad in my opinion. I enjoyed it.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2016, 07:29 PM   #54
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I want a Harley/Joker movie now, yeah.
Old 08.20.2016, 07:35 PM   #55
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah i didn't think you're rich or anything-- i know your situation

but people have certain attitudes

i guess what irks me (more than irks me) is that in this country:

if you look down on people of color you're a racist. if you look down on women you're a sexist. if you look down on gay people you're a homophobe, on transgenders a transphobe, etc.

but if you look down on the poor-- hey, it's open season on the poor!

i mean to call someone "poor" is actually an insult. you can't make fun of someone on a wheelchair-- but the poors? they supposedly chose it and it means they're stupid, etc.

so in america there will never be a revolution because the poor are programmed for self-hate.

it's not that i'm "for" a revolution really, but in america there's this false notion that everyone is middle class.

this is of course bullshit. there are aristocrats and there are the poor and there's a shrinking middle.

and the poor are told they could be middle class if they only got an education, the middle could be rich if only they played their cards right, so if you're poor it's your choice and you're shit (i know, i'm repeating myself here). the aspirationals are the one who act and spend like a class above without having the actual means (this is where heavy indebtedness comes from).

but nowaways the middle class is proletarized and the poor are the underclass. "hey look at those obsese poor people on a steady diet of sugar and starches! look at their cheap tshirts! ha ha ha!" etc.

i fucking hate that.

the other thing you'd know if you weren't american (because those things are overt and not hidden in other countries) is that social class is not strictly tied to income.

you can be a ruined aristocrat and still an aristocrat. you can be a rich peasant and still a peasant. you can be a self-hating poor. and those attitudes can carry through generations. class attitudes don't depend on last month's paycheck but on a history of social interactions that get bred into individuals.

anyway that's what was behind that.

but yeah, just like everyone in a racialized world is inevitably tainted with racism, everyone in a society with class divisions is going to be classist to an extent. and yeah, that maybe is an unavoidable fact of life in spite of claims of classless utopias, but people shouldn't be shamed for their differences from the elites and the servants of the elites. that shit makes me foam at the mouth like a rabid dog.

Well, I agree all around but I have a splitting migraine so that's all I can be bothered to say.
Old 08.20.2016, 09:00 PM   #56
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I want a Harley/Joker movie now, yeah.

I want a Harley/Poison Ivy movie, think they are considering a DC female gang featuring Harley, But would dig one focusing on Harley and Ivy just causing chaos in Gotham City.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2016, 09:08 PM   #57
Severian
invito al cielo

I have to say, these all sound like terrible ideas to me.

No offense. I think I must be the only DC fan who doesn't really give two shits about Harley Quinn, and thinks she is a stupid addition to the Joker mythos, fitting for a children's cartoon perhaps, but not... All this.

And Poison Ivy has to be the worst villain in the Batman rogues gallery. Neither she nor Clayface fit within the context of the rest of the Gotham gang. And remember last time Poison Ivy appeared on film? Yikes. Not to mention the awful way things are heading on Gotham with her.

I'm more into Joker, Scarecrow, Two-face, and on occasion Riddler. And Catwoman. And the rest of the villains that make a lick of sense in Batman's world.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth