Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.06.2015, 03:13 PM   #3741
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
a supposedly shit movie by Angelina Jolie.

Or 'minimally talented spoiled brat', according to the leaked Sony emails.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2015, 03:44 PM   #3742
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Or 'minimally talented spoiled brat', according to the leaked Sony emails.

yeah, those e mails were great! Larry Ellison's daughter is a bipolar lunatic.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2015, 04:26 PM   #3743
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
@ evollove - don't sweat it. i got burned out on reading through forced page-count athleticism. best to focus on quality anyway. follow your appetite and fuck off to all else.

@h8kurdt - amazing-looking comic! i love the idea of no heroes (comic book heroes are for children anyway). and could you mention some of the key movies described in your book? (maybe i've missed some).
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2015, 04:52 PM   #3744
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
@ evollove - don't sweat it. i got burned out on reading through forced page-count athleticism. best to focus on quality anyway. follow your appetite and fuck off to all else.

@h8kurdt - amazing-looking comic! i love the idea of no heroes (comic book heroes are for children anyway). and could you mention some of the key movies described in your book? (maybe i've missed some).

The chapter I'm on he's been talking about Ingrid Bergman and all the films she did with Rossellini. I haven't seen many of her films, or Rosselini for that matter so I'm gonna check some out.

The other films he talks about are generally the bigger films (they're big for a reason so it'd be daft to not talk about them). There was a great chapter about Triumph of the Will and Leni Riefenstahl generally. Another one about Renoir (it forced to FINALLY watch Rules of the Game. For shame I know) which added a whole new appreciation for the guy. Either way I'd recommend it, especially to you fellow movie geeks on here.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2015, 05:30 PM   #3745
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Ah, well, fuck you all.
Old 01.07.2015, 10:10 AM   #3746
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
The chapter I'm on he's been talking about Ingrid Bergman and all the films she did with Rossellini. I haven't seen many of her films, or Rosselini for that matter so I'm gonna check some out.

oh damn, same here

Quote:
The other films he talks about are generally the bigger films (they're big for a reason so it'd be daft to not talk about them). There was a great chapter about Triumph of the Will and Leni Riefenstahl generally. Another one about Renoir (it forced to FINALLY watch Rules of the Game. For shame I know) which added a whole new appreciation for the guy. Either way I'd recommend it, especially to you fellow movie geeks on here.
leni riefenstahl was a FANTASTIC innovator but triumph of the will is *so fucking boring* because of its subject matter-- a bunch of nazis on parade. renoir was great and please watch grand illusion when you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Ah, well, fuck you all.

???
Old 01.07.2015, 10:31 AM   #3747
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Of the Rossellini/Bergman films, Voyage to Italy is my fave but it does have an ending that really divides people. His earlier stuff without her is more overtly political. Rome Open City, Germany Year Zero, Paisa. Very raw and massively influential. If you like Bicycle Thieves you'd love it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2015, 03:01 PM   #3748
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
New reviews are up http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/

I am going to read this next.

Old 01.22.2015, 12:34 PM   #3749
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Finished Salinger's Nine Stories. Plodding along in Cheever's big Stories book. I think Cheever's overall point is that life can or cannot amount to something but that, even when it doesn't amount to much of anything that gives meaning, our purpose should be to observe as carefully and deeply as possible. I don't know. That's a pretty piss poor analysis from an English minor.
Old 01.23.2015, 04:37 AM   #3750
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
So I finally finished reading Infinite Jest last night.

Thought I would post back my thoughts here since it sparked such a ruckus last time.

Basically...... I don't think the book is a big 'joke's on you' emperor's new clothes affair. BUT I think it is a bit smarmy as it invites you to think that the whole way through. The 'deeper' pomo aspects of the book I think were partly lost on me since I don't tend to read in that way and also I don't really care about those kind of things haha.

I did really enjoy it. I see a lot of people complaining about the characters being 2d but I really liked the POV type stuff and the kinda oddball characterisation. I mean, you couldn't really imagine these people in real life but I don't think it's meant to be that kind of book.

I think as some kind of scholarly exercise the book is really good, it's very technical and almost like a study of something. The story isn't amazing but I did really enjoy reading it. This sounds contradictory but I feel like the book is greater than the sum of its parts. Like individually the story, characters, plot, language etc are not special but it works together and is really truly like nothing else I have read (although I will be the first to admit I am not very well read at all).

It kinda reminded me in that way of Siddartha. Like I read this book at the end of a really intense period of reading loads of Hesse books, and to me it distills perfectly all these grandiose themes of Hesse into a really condensed, efficient story. But the story itself is not what makes it good to me, it's the execution of something so precise. Obviously Infinite Jest is like the opposite of that haha! But it's trying to do something very different.

I don't know, I can't articulate my thoughts very well but I did really really enjoy the book and part of me wants to read it again right away since it was so long ago that I read the beginning. But I'm not that much of a maschist haha (no, I'm only reading Gravity's Rainbow next.....)

Now I'm going to read a bunch of people's reactions and theories online to see if they match up with mine. I have been desperate to read about the book all along but I didn't want to spoil it.
Old 01.23.2015, 04:38 AM   #3751
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
tl;dr: Infinite Jest - it should be shit but it's not
Old 01.23.2015, 04:39 AM   #3752
lucyrulesok
100%

oh also i really liked all the weird tennis details
Old 01.23.2015, 09:48 AM   #3753
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyrulesok
tl;dr: Infinite Jest - it should be shit but it's not

neither tl nor dr!-- it was a nice, fresh, non-pretentious review. i won't say it makes me want to read it but it helps tilt me in favor of doing that.

and now for some pretentious thoughts (sorry i can't help myself):

1) ulysses also works that way. for nabokov it was just a story of a man being cuckolded. it's true the story is not that much viewed like that, but nabokov was probably jealous (or didn't care). still, the details make it come alive in such a massive way it's no way just about that.

2) did you ever read the glass bead game? back in prehistoric times i was enthralled by hesse (demian + steppenwolf + other witings like his essays & beneath the wheel).but the glass bead game didn't work for me so i dropped it a quarter of the way in. i'm asking because i'm curious and at this point i wouldn't mind spoilers ha ha.
Old 01.23.2015, 11:12 AM   #3754
lucyrulesok
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

1) ulysses also works that way. for nabokov it was just a story of a man being cuckolded. it's true the story is not that much viewed like that, but nabokov was probably jealous (or didn't care). still, the details make it come alive in such a massive way it's no way just about that.

2) did you ever read the glass bead game? back in prehistoric times i was enthralled by hesse (demian + steppenwolf + other witings like his essays & beneath the wheel).but the glass bead game didn't work for me so i dropped it a quarter of the way in. i'm asking because i'm curious and at this point i wouldn't mind spoilers ha ha.

1. I haven't read Ulysses or in fact any Joyce though I am intrigued... for Nabokov I suppose it must be like the absolute opposite of what he is trying to do (and by extension what he liked!). Nabokov is so concise. But I agree, so little of my enjoyment of literature (especially novels!) comes from the story (i look to short stories if i am looking for plot).

2. I did read the glass bead game, it's probably my favourite Hesse!! I would really urge you to try again with it. It's a little sludgy at times but it all comes together beautifully in the last 10% or so. You must also read his 'lives' at the end - vvv. important. The final pages of the story are so poignant too i will never forget the precise moments of reading them down to the quality of light in my room, how i was feeling everything. that is quite schmaltzy i guess but it had a reall effect on me.

I actually resisted the urge to compare Infinite Jest to the glass bead game in my 'review'. But I can't resist now since you brought it up. What I was going to say is that in both cases the world is very much like our own but not quite. Not far enough different to be truly classed as sci fi or fantasy (or at least the book doesn't focus or rely enough on the differences for it to be genred in this way) or even really an 'alternate universe' but just enough that it is unfamiliar and makes you consider the elements of the story/writing a little more closely.

Also the timelessness of the novels (in that they are not anchored certainly in time - both being an unspecified time in the future) and the fact that specificity of time is not important to the aims of the novel is nother parallel.

Just my take on things. I think DFW owes a lot to Herman Hesse.
Old 01.23.2015, 12:27 PM   #3755
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyrulesok
2. I did read the glass bead game, it's probably my favourite Hesse!! I would really urge you to try again with it. It's a little sludgy at times but it all comes together beautifully in the last 10% or so. You must also read his 'lives' at the end - vvv. important. The final pages of the story are so poignant too i will never forget the precise moments of reading them down to the quality of light in my room, how i was feeling everything. that is quite schmaltzy i guess but it had a reall effect on me.

damn, that was convincing. i will look it up. it's buried in one of those boxes i haven't opened in ages, a spanish translation, probably all yellow now.

once i got into an argument with an ex-friend who kept saying hesse was for teenagers. maybe, but if you never went through it then it's not too late. the fucker was so miserable i gifted him a steppenwolf-- he was just like steppenwolf with his razor blade, all serious and boohoo and getting old and on prozac. but he thought he was above all that, in his overly intellectual posture. god damn margaritas ante porcos. no magic theatre for him.
Old 01.23.2015, 12:36 PM   #3756
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Hesse I always found boring. I read fiction to be shown a world that I never experienced before. Hesse's fiction is like a boring lecture that you need to sit through because the information is quality, but the person delivering it is a monotone bore.
Old 01.23.2015, 12:41 PM   #3757
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Hesse I always found boring. I read fiction to be shown a world that I never experienced before. Hesse's fiction is like a boring lecture that you need to sit through because the information is quality, but the person delivering it is a monotone bore.

(but maybe bad translations...?)
Old 01.23.2015, 02:03 PM   #3758
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

maybe.
Old 01.23.2015, 03:47 PM   #3759
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

so... i went and looked at an updated translation of the glass bead game (by some dude with a russian last name). and in the preface the translator was explaining how previous translators had missed the humor and irony in that book (which is something had already been recognized by thomas mann when hesse sent him a draft).

so then i kept reading and the translator kept going into ideas behind the book and he started taling about the influence of nietzsche and jacob burckhardt and how some characters were modeled after them... so...

then i ended up looking up burckhardt on wikipedia (the inventor of cultural history!) and seeing his bibliography and i ended up finding one of his books... "the civilization of the renaissance in italy" (he's got another about the ancient greeks).

now i think i might just end up reading burckhardt first ha ha ha ha
Old 01.23.2015, 03:58 PM   #3760
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

These are the next books lined up on my list...

Masks of God: Occidental Mythology – Joseph Campbell (1958)
Science and Sanity: An Introduction to Non-Aristotelian Systems and General Semantics – Alfred Korzybski (1933)
Masks of God: Creative Mythology – Joseph Campbell (1968)
Instead of a Book, By A Man Too Busy To Write One: A Fragmentary Exposition of Philosophical Anarchism – Benjamin R. Tucker (1893)
138178185186187 188 189190191198238288 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth