Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page At The Drive-In
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.06.2006, 08:47 AM   #61
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Sparta + Mars Volta= At The Drive In.

I'm more of a fan of Mars Volta than At The Drive In, in either case they are both better than Sparta-the poppy commercial aimed spinoff from ATDI.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2008, 04:41 PM   #62
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey
i watched this, turns out Cedric is a little bit of a diva. "You're all sheep, i think its a sad day when people have to express themselves thru slamdancing"

these are the same people who paid to see you play/were bothered enough to get themselves to that little tent where you are playing and TRY enjoy your preformance...... these people are sheep in the eyes of mighty Cedric..

whatever i thought of them before, i think a whole lot less now.

at least he got an attitude
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2008, 06:02 PM   #63
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
That guy who plays guitar for the mars volta is the worst person in existence.

I read an interview with him in either Metal Edge or Spin or Guitar World or one of those magazines that I read during lunch break and he said how no one "gets" what he's doing, and he hates when people only like Mars Volta for their "weird" stuff. This is paraphrased but he said something along the lines of, "People listen to us ONLY for how technical it is... or how weird we are.. and I just don't really want those people listening to our music... someone comes up to me and says, 'Oh, you have 30 minute songs' they don't fucking understand our music.. fuck them."

Even though that was paraphrased, it was pretty much EXACTLY what he said. It was in an issue like 4 months ago, right around the time of their newest album, I'm sure it's on some Mars Volta website. The point is, dude's a talentless hack and an idiot.

The Mars Volta are the worst band on earth.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2008, 06:09 PM   #64
al shabbray

I think they are pretty arrogant.
and the mars volta sucks fo rme too
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2008, 06:41 PM   #65
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
That guy who plays guitar for the mars volta is the worst person in existence.

I read an interview with him in either Metal Edge or Spin or Guitar World or one of those magazines that I read during lunch break and he said how no one "gets" what he's doing, and he hates when people only like Mars Volta for their "weird" stuff. This is paraphrased but he said something along the lines of, "People listen to us ONLY for how technical it is... or how weird we are.. and I just don't really want those people listening to our music... someone comes up to me and says, 'Oh, you have 30 minute songs' they don't fucking understand our music.. fuck them."

Even though that was paraphrased, it was pretty much EXACTLY what he said. It was in an issue like 4 months ago, right around the time of their newest album, I'm sure it's on some Mars Volta website. The point is, dude's a talentless hack and an idiot.

The Mars Volta are the worst band on earth.
He's always like that. He's an arrogant prick. In a sense, he's a noise artist with an affinity for pop. He "thinks his music should be repulsive" or some shit like that. I read that if his producer likes something too much, he'll fuck it up with effects just for the hell of it.

But--he's talented as fuck, and his personality has little to do with his music. If anything, it does make it more interesting. He's as good as he thinks he is, even if he's an ass about it. He's technical, passionate, creative, and prolific. There's not a lot more you can be. (And just because he plays the same type of music as Santana doesn't mean he's not unique.)
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2008, 06:58 PM   #66
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
True, his personality has nothing to do with his music.

But his music sucks too. And he sucks.

Obviously, I recognize "technical ability". But he bores me.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2008, 07:03 PM   #67
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
There's so much shit out there for you people to call 'shit', and it isn't the Mars Volta.
Old 08.11.2008, 07:17 PM   #68
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
He's always like that. He's an arrogant prick. In a sense, he's a noise artist with an affinity for pop. He "thinks his music should be repulsive" or some shit like that. I read that if his producer likes something too much, he'll fuck it up with effects just for the hell of it.

But--he's talented as fuck, and his personality has little to do with his music. If anything, it does make it more interesting. He's as good as he thinks he is, even if he's an ass about it. He's technical, passionate, creative, and prolific. There's not a lot more you can be. (And just because he plays the same type of music as Santana doesn't mean he's not unique.)

Omar can seem a prick and Cedric can as well. Omar comes off as arrogant because he does literally everything for TMV and his solo stuff except for lyrics.
Old 08.11.2008, 07:27 PM   #69
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I don't care if they're arrogant or not. I'm not friends with them, so I don't need to concern myself with that type of thing.

They make great music.
Old 08.11.2008, 07:56 PM   #70
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
^Exactly. They make great stuff. That's why I don't concern myself with anything else.
Old 08.11.2008, 07:56 PM   #71
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
hes not talented, hes a pretentious junkie twat who cant decide if he wants to be a gay salsa musician, an experimental psychedelic krautrock weirdo, or carlos santana. in most cases, that would be awesome. in this case, its just another skinny ladies pants wearing deauche bag who takes himself way too seriously but cries when hes accused of wankery. fuck him.

atdi is great though.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2008, 07:57 PM   #72
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Omar has a natural sense for logical dissonance, can obviously write unique songs at a moment's notice (he claimed to have 17 solo albums sitting around his room fully mastered, and I believe him as he's released several of them over the last few years), and he has a unique perspective on how melody and texture should be conveyed (granted, it makes him seem like an ass). That's all on top of the technical part. As abrasive as his motives may be, it makes for real, passionate art.

He kind of reminds me of Dali. No matter how much of a bizarre self-centered ass he was, the guy could do just about anything, and he did it with style.
Old 08.11.2008, 07:58 PM   #73
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i think its the funniest shit when people try to defend the mars volta, its almost like north koreans trying to stick up for the il sungs, "no theyre not that bad, theyve done lots of great things, its not personality that matters".

listen to pink reason
Old 08.11.2008, 08:00 PM   #74
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Omar has a natural sense for logical dissonance, can obviously write unique songs at a moment's notice (he claimed to have 17 solo albums sitting around his room fully mastered, and I believe him as he's released several of them over the last few years), and he has a unique perspective on how melody and texture should be conveyed (granted, it makes him seem like an ass). That's all on top of the technical part. As abrasive as his motives may be, it makes for real, passionate art.

He kind of reminds me of Dali. No matter how much of a bizarre self-centered ass he was, the guy could do just about anything, and he did it with style.

did you tear anything with that stretch??

im just kidding obviously, your cool, but a comparison between dali, the epitome of surrealist art, and omar, seems rather ludicrous, dont you think?

listen to pink reason
Old 08.11.2008, 08:03 PM   #75
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

I'm not comparing them qualitatively, just the aspect of how their personality affects their art. They're (/were, whatever) both pricks who think they're god, treated their work like a way to be thought of as "amazing", and it had a positive effect on their art. They're both technically skilled enough to make it admirable.

Dali was far better, but that was just my illustration.
Old 08.11.2008, 08:04 PM   #76
batreleaser
invito al cielo

watevs

listen to pink reason
Old 08.11.2008, 08:13 PM   #77
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
i think its the funniest shit when people try to defend the mars volta, its almost like north koreans trying to stick up for the il sungs, "no theyre not that bad, theyve done lots of great things, its not personality that matters".

haha

If you seriously relate it that, then that is the funniest shit ever.
Old 08.12.2008, 03:16 AM   #78
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Got into ATDI a week or two ago. I've got all their stuff except their last album now.
Really diggin' them.
Old 08.12.2008, 03:31 AM   #79
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Got into ATDI a week or two ago. I've got all their stuff except their last album now.
Really diggin' them.

buy their lust album, its more than worth it!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2008, 03:36 AM   #80
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Not for a while. I dig their "punk" stuff, and from what I understand ROC is more electronic and experimental.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth