Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.15.2022, 04:46 AM   #25121
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Mean Girls. Feels like a philosophically deep film, or one you could argue as such. Quite funny.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2022, 04:11 PM   #25122
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
well i ended up watching the rest of "the neon demon" and turns out i had stopped at the worst moment of it all. the rest... was unpleasant, sure, but there wasn't much to it after that pause. not much of a story either, in the end, kinda "meh" actually. it was visually great though, that's one glossy motherfucking movie. glossier than "drive", even. spectacular. but storywise... maybe a bit silly in the end.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2022, 10:09 PM   #25123
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

This one never gets old, does it? Cool Hand Luke is timeless

My second favorite Newman film, with Slap Shot being the first

Actually... I don't think I've seen any others XD
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2022, 07:09 AM   #25124
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I watched Uncle Frank on Amazon at a friend’s recommendation. Not bad, but a little light on plot. Very sad at times, and effective, but it could have used a bit more time to breathe and flesh itself out. Still, pretty good stuff.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2022, 06:52 PM   #25125
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Cars go vroom vroom

Love these two flicks �� ��
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2022, 07:43 AM   #25126
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I watched Her finally.
I didn’t love it. I love everyone in the cast and I love Spike Jonze, but the movie — while fine I guess — just kinda weirded me out and made me sad for 2 hours and 5 minutes. Not in a cathartic way but in a “this is some sad bastard bullshit” kind of way.

I dunno. It was probably a good film but I didn’t enjoy watching it.

Old 04.17.2022, 06:03 PM   #25127
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Cars go vroom vroom
sure, the car was nice, but there are much more memorable visions in that movie...

i have no words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I watched Her finally.
I didn’t love it. I love everyone in the cast and I love Spike Jonze, but the movie — while fine I guess — just kinda weirded me out and made me sad for 2 hours and 5 minutes. Not in a cathartic way but in a “this is some sad bastard bullshit” kind of way.

I dunno. It was probably a good film but I didn’t enjoy watching it.

it's probably because the main character was a huge dweeb, and hard to like, as i recall. "sad bastard bullshit" indeed.

basically the movie is one big joke stretched out to feature length, right?

--

anyway i saw "the song remains the same" which was in a criterion channel program of live music films (same program featuring "gimme shelter" i saw last week).

it was fucking brilliant. and funny too when it wants to. i had seen clips before but never the complete thing. at 2h17m runtime i thought i'd be bored quickly but nope, watched the whole thing, all the way to the end of the exit music (hah), and it was superentertaining. well done, 1970s! which reminds me... the present sucks at many things.

also thanks to ethan hawke (!?) who curated a program in the criterion channel where i caught charlie chaplin's "limelight." great fucking film! and virtually unknown too. also same 2h17m runtime lol, but again, highly watchable (except for a few ballet scenes, i don't take ballet well).

here is the criterion channel intro by ethan hawke and his interviewer. it's paywalled, but there's a 14d free trial if you dare (and you should dare...) https://www.criterionchannel.com/lim...e-on-limelight
Old 04.18.2022, 06:39 AM   #25128
Severian
invito al cielo

I watched Red Rocket. It was loud and trashy and depressing. No doubt a good film but hard to enjoy. Also some problematic stuff. Nobody to root for. Florida Project was better I think.

And I rewatched Arrival and it’s still amazing.
Old 04.18.2022, 03:46 PM   #25129
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Avengers: Endgame

I was looking forward to watching this and it was finally on TV last week.
Oh my it was horrible, I had no fucking clue who half of the characters were, I must have missed a volume or two in the Marvel universe or what ever they call it.
It's boring and long winding.
The only nice part was the Hulk basically

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2022, 04:16 PM   #25130
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_

I was looking forward to watching this and it was finally on TV last week.
Oh my it was horrible, I had no fucking clue who half of the characters were, I must have missed a volume or two in the Marvel universe or what ever they call it.
The only nice part was the Hulk basically

It’s pure fan service but it’s a blast. Probably only works if you know who the characters are though.
Old 04.18.2022, 05:37 PM   #25131
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
i believe you, thanks for the warning
Quote:
It’s pure fan service but it’s a blast. Probably only works if you know who the characters are though.
i was rolling my eyes already at the something something war where everything turns to pixels so at this point i think i'd only watch it if they paid me.

don't get me wrong, i enjoyed a few of the earlies--ironman, the first thor, the joss whedon one... the taika waititi one had some funny jokes. but at this point i feel the whole thing is about some nerd bullshit and making money with toys. and i'm talking about the wrong kind of nerd, not the nerds that run the world.

on that note: i tried watching some voice actors play dungeons and dragons on tv and it was ooooooofffffff blaghhhhhhhh. but the same voice actors have a nice funny anime series on amazon. oh, wrong thread now, sorry...
Old 04.19.2022, 06:17 AM   #25132
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i believe you, thanks for the warning

i was rolling my eyes already at the something something war where everything turns to pixels so at this point i think i'd only watch it if they paid me.

don't get me wrong, i enjoyed a few of the earlies--ironman, the first thor, the joss whedon one... the taika waititi one had some funny jokes. but at this point i feel the whole thing is about some nerd bullshit and making money with toys. and i'm talking about the wrong kind of nerd, not the nerds that run the world.

Mmmmmm… I dunno man, I think Infinity War/Endgame is worth seeing, at the very least from a cultural perspective because it’s like the biggest goddam thing ever. There’s a lot to like about both movies, and Infinity War actually takes some risks (of course it doesn’t commit to a single one but still, bold to end a film that way).
I’m not the biggest fan of the MCU, but I like those movies.
Oh, and Waititi’s Thor: Love & Thunder is coming out soon, based on one of my favorite comic book runs. I’ll be there for that.

Quote:
on that note: i tried watching some voice actors play dungeons and dragons on tv and it was ooooooofffffff blaghhhhhhhh. but the same voice actors have a nice funny anime series on amazon. oh, wrong thread now, sorry...

Those Twitch streamers? People playing video games who got a show, basically? That’s weird to me because I’m too fucking old for that shit. I used to play mad video games with my friends. We were good as hell and had hilarious banter. Nobody considered it a talent.
I even sound too old, listen to my dumb ass. (But apparently I’m not as old as some because I can still appreciate dumb fun crowdpleasing Marvel movies like most of the planet )
Old 04.19.2022, 08:21 AM   #25133
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Mmmmmm… I dunno man, I think Infinity War/Endgame is worth seeing, at the very least from a cultural perspective because it’s like the biggest goddam thing ever.

right, and that's precisely the disaster of it all. if it was just another kid movie i wouldn't give a shit either way. like, i never ranted against spy kids. but never watched it either. it was for kids and that was okay, let the kids play.

i mentioned the 70s above. what was the biggest goddamn thing in the film culture, in the 70s? taxi driver, godfather, apocalypse now... last tango in paris! dirty harry, chinatown, cuckoo's nest, french connection, clockwork orange, network... salò, banned! tinto brass doing caligula. emmanuelle, the empire of the senses, all the president's men. kramer vs kramer. annie hall. truffaut and rohmer's heyday, buñuel's final films. bergman's cries and whispers, and scenes from a marriage, and woody allen imitating bergman. grownup films with grownup subjects were the biggest thing in the culture. even the schlocky disaster movies might feature an ex-whore or something. jaws was a monster movie, but it was a believable monster and the heroes were human. and sure, there was star wars, but star wars was for the kids who made the parents buy the toys.

yes. i have a problem with the culture. i have a problem with the planet, hahaha.

that's me now, guilty as charged. i hate the marvel universe, not because it exists, but because *it's the biggest fucking thing* why????????

eta: i blame my generation for never getting over motherfucking starwars. we started this perpetual childhood shit lol.
Old 04.19.2022, 11:21 AM   #25134
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I guess if I had seen the prequel, Avengers: Infinity War, I would have liked the Endgame better. But I didn't. Not sure if it was on TV before, perhaps I skipped it thinking it was the one I had seen already ....

I do like some of the other Marvels though, especially Guardians Of The Galaxy because they don't take themselves so seriously.
The Avengers though, it's all too melodramatical

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2022, 07:03 PM   #25135
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Those Twitch streamers? People playing video games who got a show, basically? That’s weird to me because I’m too fucking old for that shit. I used to play mad video games with my friends. We were good as hell and had hilarious banter. Nobody considered it a talent.
I even sound too old, listen to my dumb ass. (But apparently I’m not as old as some because I can still appreciate dumb fun crowdpleasing Marvel movies like most of the planet )
ah, shit, i got busy raging against the machine and didnt answer this part earlier: not twitch, it's an actual tv show i liked... but too long to explain right now, i'll post in the tv thread when i get a chance (tomorrow's coffee break or something).
Old 04.20.2022, 06:58 AM   #25136
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
ah, shit, i got busy raging against the machine and didnt answer this part earlier: not twitch, it's an actual tv show i liked... but too long to explain right now, i'll post in the tv thread when i get a chance (tomorrow's coffee break or something).

Is it The Legend of Vox Machina?
Old 04.20.2022, 10:45 AM   #25137
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Is it The Legend of Vox Machina?

http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthr...40798&page=175
Old 04.20.2022, 12:24 PM   #25138
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

anyway the other day i watched this fairly recent french flick, "de gaulle" (2020).

it's nice well done etc but... reads a bit propagandistic.

don't get me wrong, hats off to de gaulle for his role in ww2 and the resistance, etc... but the movie portrayed him like a man without flaws, which he wasn't. but ok, it's a "heroic" subject, and pétain is the villain here (well, he was, the poor senile traitor). the real struggle runs even deeper as the film focuses on de gaulle's difficult decision to seize the historical moment, bridging the personal and the political-- this is what i think it does best.

because of this it's not just a war/political story, but also the story of his wife and children, especially his down syndrome kid (i didn't know about her).

while not a masterpiece, and corny if you're cynical, the movie was cathartic, and it made for a nice evening.

also, seeing the nazi invasion and the refugees reminded me of ukraine, and of zelensky refusing to lie down and surrender to a greater mechanized power, so that was timely for fucking sure.

ok.

Old 04.20.2022, 01:49 PM   #25139
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

I’m confused, so it’s Burn Notice or Mrs. Maisel? Lmao
EDIT: Never mind, it’s totally the Legend of Vox Machina; finally saw your TV post about it.
Figured that’s what it had to be
Old 04.20.2022, 05:09 PM   #25140
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
right, and that's precisely the disaster of it all. if it was just another kid movie i wouldn't give a shit either way. like, i never ranted against spy kids. but never watched it either. it was for kids and that was okay, let the kids play.

i mentioned the 70s above. what was the biggest goddamn thing in the film culture, in the 70s? taxi driver, godfather, apocalypse now... last tango in paris! dirty harry, chinatown, cuckoo's nest, french connection, clockwork orange, network... salò, banned! tinto brass doing caligula. emmanuelle, the empire of the senses, all the president's men. kramer vs kramer. annie hall. truffaut and rohmer's heyday, buñuel's final films. bergman's cries and whispers, and scenes from a marriage, and woody allen imitating bergman. grownup films with grownup subjects were the biggest thing in the culture. even the schlocky disaster movies might feature an ex-whore or something. jaws was a monster movie, but it was a believable monster and the heroes were human. and sure, there was star wars, but star wars was for the kids who made the parents buy the toys.

yes. i have a problem with the culture. i have a problem with the planet, hahaha.

that's me now, guilty as charged. i hate the marvel universe, not because it exists, but because *it's the biggest fucking thing* why????????

eta: i blame my generation for never getting over motherfucking starwars. we started this perpetual childhood shit lol.

Gonna be a dickhead and say that I think the Avengers films are probably better overall than the first Star Wars trilogy. Even the first Avengers movie, which is kind of a big B-movie, is pretty fun, and the second is unfairly maligned.
The third and fourth are just a bloody good fuckin’ ride, man, with plenty of emotional heft to boot. And I like Captain America and Thor vastly more than I like Luke Skywalker.

Sorry, my generation is showing.
757115712071247125412551256 1257 1258125912601267 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth