Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page How often do you feel completely uninterested in music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.26.2014, 01:53 PM   #41
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
nice that you all went off on a page long tangent after failing to properly read what i said, which was that music is "FOR" the young, not "MADE BY".

think i hit a sore spot so all yall old men sit and think about dying and time for a second thx.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2014, 02:00 PM   #42
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
A gerontocratic society is obsessed with death.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2014, 02:08 PM   #43
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Seems like we could all use a really great new SY album right about now.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2014, 02:10 PM   #44
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
A gerontocratic society is obsessed with death.

and yet its still so boring
Old 06.26.2014, 02:26 PM   #45
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Change it then.
Old 06.26.2014, 02:30 PM   #46
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

Old 06.26.2014, 10:32 PM   #47
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
music is so much better in my head right now. most of the time i'd rather fantasize about what i think certain genres should sound like now than actually listen or create. like when i'm dozing off in someones bed or just staring at the computer screen. because i don't care to put any input in anything at all anymore. you grow up get tired and work.

yes, it does seem new music could be much more interesting than it is now.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2014, 10:40 PM   #48
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
music is for the young anyway, because we know that the brain changes and music is not as sensational and great for a 25 or 30 year old as it is for a 17 year old.

i don't know. not for everyone. i enjoyed music just as much or better in my late 20's than teens. possibly because of better resources. the internet was also somewhat new to me and in some sort of faze where it wasn't just a "click' away, but was leading there.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2014, 10:41 PM   #49
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I think music is only "for the young" by default because they are the largest market share and audience. But that is like saying cheap beer is for the young, its only technically true

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2014, 10:52 PM   #50
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

also NEUROSCIENTIFICALLY true because their brains experience it differently - they get a more intense sensation.

anyone who tries to say the state of things today is as great as it could be is lying. when we have to either make excuses or chastise each other to "just shut up and enjoy it" half the time, then that shows something.

its hardly a golden age. its more like an age of exhaustion amidst uncontrollable technological progression, when nostalgia and retro become the only thing people are capable of, since almost noone seems to be able to get anywhere new.

noone is obligated to be happy with this state of affairs despite what we are forced to think. you can only have standards if you are prepared to be negative, but today we are all forced, almost aggressively, to be trivial. the reactions to post like these are always someone behaving like a hospice nurse trying to soothe a dying person whose become agitated. "hey hey its ok its ok its not so bad" etc. etc. or even worse, telling them its their fault they are suffering because they dont want to be happy, which seems like the behaviour we're all most proud of and believe in the most these days.

i mean, there used to be a feeling at least that "ok we know that majority of people are fucking morons and true talent has an even harder time because its always ignored by the masses" but now we dont even have that. but its still true - the good people are lucky to get further than nowhere. i was just listening to maria and the mirrors and thinking that this beats 99% of the utter fucking horseshit thats popular today but even in supposedly underground outlets they barely get any coverage. i wish we'd spend more time promoting stuff like that instead of making excuses for the same recycled dogshit.

i blame pitchfork for all of this because they decided it was ok to have no definition separating alternative/underground music and the most mainstream pop drivel. they promoted this artless and soulless hipsterdom and got rid of the idea of even trying to proudly erect a firewall separating mainstream SHIT from true art, respected by people who actually cared. even if it wasnt true art it least ASPIRED to be something more. i mean, they work on payola so you pay for your review/coverage, but the evil is that they also include actual underground music alongside this and it gets shit on because the labels cant afford to pay for a good review, or it gets shit on extra because the writers are taking out their secret envy of people who actually want to create something good. its the most pernicious form of assault against whats left of the underground.

i have started to get into 20th century classical
Old 06.26.2014, 11:11 PM   #51
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

im a cranky old man and all you motherfucking kids deserve to be blown up by al qaeda during one of your talent shows you miserable narcissistic little fucks.

seems like things have reversed today, and now its the "hipsters" who get sneered at rather than sneering at the pigs at the mass slop tray. kill your idols i guess, but it was def better when people at least believed there was something better going on and could aspire to something higher. maybe hipsters were the scapegoats for our disappointment.

but i think the biggest problem is the breakdown in the business model. i mean, whose at the absolute edge of experimental pop stuff today? maybe the vaperwave guys? yet even they run CS labels and send each other gift packages. there is a kind of new thing happening in some places were you have mixes or tracks being made exclusively for certain fashion sites and its like you could make an entire aesthetic and sell it within a few weeks.

i suppose i am getting old but im still at a place where if i put the effort in i could find the absolutely latest and best of whats out there, but its hard to even care, and soon ill just be some clueless old bastard.

has there been anything newer than vaperwave?
Old 06.26.2014, 11:15 PM   #52
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I disagree with the statement that young folks experience music better neurologically, specifically because the older brain is more mature, more developed, more evolved neurologically speaking. The pathways and thought patterns are more defined, so how an older person experiences listening to music is much more sophisticated and involved than a young person. If anything, young folks may be more overwhelmed by neurochemical avalanches, but even from my own experience listening to music as a teenager and listening to music in my 30s I think music hits me WAY harder.

Music didn't used to knock me on my ass, or assault me with nostalgia, or overwhelm me with true bliss the way it does now. Sure, it was a bit more exciting at a younger age, but I think I have more control of this excitement, I understand and use it better.

Of course my significant bias might be that I've been PLAYING instruments and music in bands for 15 years now, so my brain has had a chance to evolve musically in a different way than just someone who listens to it. My brain might be more engaged in the instrumentation and sound of music itself than it was when I was a teenager because my brain is so much better at analyzing and interpreting this music and then successfully either duplicating, imitating, or integrating its sound into my own instrumentation and playing. Whether or not the younger brain enjoys music better, it is a proven fact that the older and more experienced brain processes and performs music better. In fact, what makes a true savant is when a brain injury causes an accidental development within the neurological pathways. For example, savants who almost miraculously play piano out of nowhere are revealed in brain scans to have a rapid increase in activity in the same exact parts of the brain as a trained pianist. You have to practice practice practice your instrument to in a way "hard wire" this talent, something which a young brain simply can't do in its short time compared to an older, more experienced brain, neurologically speaking.

Old 06.26.2014, 11:16 PM   #53
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

When they used to teach us in school that your brain matures around 25-30 I truly couldn't understand what the fuck they were talking about... until I noticed the maturation of my brain into my 30s

To be sure, while my life sometimes feel increasingly out of my control my brain feels more mine than ever.

Old 06.26.2014, 11:24 PM   #54
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

thats because your head is so far up your ass you're swallowing your own shit and its fuelling your LETS PAINT THE BOARD WITH REASSURING MEMORIES OF MY LOST YOUTH ALL DAY EVERYDAY thing. oh it was so much better in the period i was in my prime because...

you've become an old man whose so attached to the past noone wants to hear his stories anymore. precisely what the punks said they were fighting against. lol is me.
Old 06.26.2014, 11:27 PM   #55
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

im become undignified, i never want to become that person who hates the present because its not as good as his imagination of his past.
Old 06.26.2014, 11:32 PM   #56
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

You're crazy. I've contributed to as many new music threads as anybody here. Yeah, I do love the music from the past, but surprisingly most of the bands I post on from the past still put out good records. Oh and to be sure, I didn't lose my youth, I wouldn't want to be a teenager again for a fucking BILLION dollars, and I LOVE being a grown ass man so much better. Now did I like a lot of the music from 1998-2004? Yeah, duh, but that is only because so much of it sucks now. To be sure, I listen to as much music from 1968-1974 too, and that is WAAAAAAY past my prime

Again, I'm talking about your neurological argument, no need to be a cranky old fucking man about it. You said young brains experience music better than old brains, I disagree, because older brains are more evolved in their neurological pathways..

Old 06.27.2014, 12:11 AM   #57
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

yeah thanks for your empirically sound speculations
Old 06.27.2014, 12:13 AM   #58
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Good morning sweeties.
Old 06.27.2014, 12:21 AM   #59
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
yeah thanks for your empirically sound speculations

Didn't see you post any footnotes....

Old 06.27.2014, 12:21 AM   #60
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

good morning

mcdonalds isnt serving real food until 10.30

fuck life

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth