Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Mix Tapes
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.09.2006, 07:01 AM   #341
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
No.
That's a relief then.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2006, 07:04 AM   #342
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
But it was S.W.A.L.K.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2006, 07:06 AM   #343
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Spookie?

Old 08.09.2006, 07:09 AM   #344
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Then we have another good track which I don't recognise. Sounds very early 80's British punk. I loved all this stuff at the time. I think it's not melodic enough for Angelic Upstarts, too good to be Chron Gen, not heavy enough for UK Subs...I give in.
Electro Hippies, from a Peel Sessions compilation called Hardcore Holocaust, also featuring sessions from Napalm Death, Intense Degree, Stupids, Extreme Noise Terror, and possibly others.

The Prmitives track is live in the studio from the Crash 10" single.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2006, 07:12 AM   #345
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Electro Hippies, from a Peel Sessions compilation called Hardcore Holocaust, also featuring sessions from Napalm Death, Intense Degree, Stupids, Extreme Noise Terror, and possibly others.

The Prmitives track is live in the studio from the Crash 10" single.

I have that! I also have two Electro Hippies LP's but I didn't recognise that at all. I'd give them a play if I had a turntable!!!
Old 08.09.2006, 07:23 AM   #346
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
There's obviously never going to be much point in our borrowing records from each other, is there?
Old 08.09.2006, 07:45 AM   #347
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I'm listening to mine for the second time right now. The first time I refused to look at the tracklist, but I'm using it to write my comments now.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2006, 07:50 AM   #348
Pookie
invito al cielo

I'm completely stumped by the next track. Lots of distortion/fuzz from the guitar. Sounds English. No idea again. The kind of thing I wouldn't have liked at the time (1990 ish?) but sounds good to my older, more open-minded ears. Loving it in fact.

Then somebody doing CCR's It Came Out Of The Sky. I love this song and this is a good version. I'd say The Gun Club but that's definitely not Jeffrey Lee Pierce singing and I suppose it's too raw for GC. I want to hear more of this band definitely. Great guitar and I love his voice.

Hey, Pere Ubu! I Can't Believe It, but I don't know this version. I've only ever heard the live version from 1976 on The Shape of Things. David Thomas is one of my all-time music heroes. Pere Ubu's first 2 albums are amongst my favourite, and their last one was really good. They've got a new one out soon as well. I would have loved to see David Thomas and Two Pale Boys in Shockheaded Peter.
Old 08.09.2006, 07:55 AM   #349
sonicl
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm completely stumped by the next track. Lots of distortion/fuzz from the guitar. Sounds English. No idea again. The kind of thing I wouldn't have liked at the time (1990 ish?) but sounds good to my older, more open-minded ears. Loving it in fact.

Loop, I think. Head On from their first single. Or it may have been someone else, but I don't want to say who because that would spoil something a bit later.

Quote:
Then somebody doing CCR's It Came Out Of The Sky. I love this song and this is a good version. I'd say The Gun Club but that's definitely not Jeffrey Lee Pierce singing and I suppose it's too raw for GC. I want to hear more of this band definitely. Great guitar and I love his voice.

Welcome to The Scientists. I first heard this on Peelie in about 1985. He played the CCR version immediately followed by this. It stuck in my mind.

Quote:
Hey, Pere Ubu! I Can't Believe It, but I don't know this version. I've only ever heard the live version from 1976 on The Shape of Things. David Thomas is one of my all-time music heroes. Pere Ubu's first 2 albums are amongst my favourite, and their last one was really good. They've got a new one out soon as well. I would have loved to see David Thomas and Two Pale Boys in Shockheaded Peter.

I don't need to say anything here do I? Which is good because I can't remember the title of the album it's on. I saw Thomas and Two Pale Boys when there was a "ten years of meltdown" concert at the RFH with short sets by a number of the people who had curated meltdown or one of the mini-meltdowns. It was very good.
Old 08.09.2006, 08:02 AM   #350
Pookie
invito al cielo

Wow Loop. I actually saw them at the Reading Festival but I never bought their records. I knew lots of people who were fans but never listened to them myself. Something else to add to my want list.

I'm going to look up The Scientists later but I've got to take Kitty to the park to sit and look at all the other children play while she sits in her pushchair looking forlorn in her pink plastercast.
Old 08.09.2006, 08:05 AM   #351
sonicl
invito al cielo

Aww. Can't you push her gently on the swing?
Old 08.09.2006, 08:10 AM   #352
Pookie
invito al cielo

Yes, maybe that would be ok.
Old 08.09.2006, 08:21 AM   #353
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I hope she has fun. You should give her all of our regards. You probably have already.

I think I've rather cleverly worked out the sender of my tape.

Old 08.09.2006, 08:26 AM   #354
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I hope to find out when i get home that mine has arrived.

Old 08.09.2006, 12:00 PM   #355
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Wake The Dead (by a certain boardie, 2006)

First thing to say: good cut ‘n’ paste cover art, very nice, which most pleasingly features a rather aloof-looking fish. I listened to the tape first without glancing at the accompanying tracklist and recognised approximately half of the artists concerned. For the second listen I referred to the tracklist, of course.

Side A

I’m not a fan of the Rolling Stones, who open this compilation with two live tracks (Bitch and Satisfaction). I can opine that Bitch is by some way the better of the two songs though, with good lyrics, and I can at least be positive and say that if you’re a fan then the Stones are clearly a considerable presence live. Good performances.

Three – three – tracks by Shonen Knife next. Fun, in the good old-fashioned Shonen Knife way, with Antonio Baka Guy being the standout piece.

Next was the first band I didn’t recognize, but who I enjoyed a fair bit: Th’ Faith Healers. They have four tracks in all; two on side A, and another two on side B.The tracks are This Time, Reptile Smile, Moona Ina Joona and I’m Ready, all Peel session tracks – which is nice – and all pretty good. Possible future purchase…

…as are Dub Trio, whose single piece on this tape, Illegal Dub, is one of the best tracks on the whole thing. Great stuff, and I will definitely look into them further.

Spooncurve are Spooncurve, not bad, you know, a nice track called She Doesn’t Know with good lyrics and vocals. An outfit called Stilluppsteypa get a couple next; they’re very good indeed, and after them side A ends with some FM radio play that reveals the tape to have come from to me from the US. A little further investigation leads me to the identity of the taper. There’s a tiny bit of some awful soft rock, but then we get a very nice snatch of jazz and, shortly after, a weird but good-sounding thing with little beepy noises that I’d quite like to know the identity of.

Side B

Some more Stilluppsetya, who really are rather impressive, then the sheer horror of Teenage Fanclub (sorry) on MY stereo. The volume is turned down a couple of notches, although out of respect for my fellow tape-making boardie I listen to the whole thing. However, whereas I can muster a new-found, albeit minor respect for the Rolling Stones, I can summon up no positive comments towards Teenage Fanclub other then they were never the Foo Fighters. Lungfish next, then George Harrison before Th’ Faith Healers make a welcome return with the second half of their contribution.

Two bands next whom I’ve always heard much about without hearing much by, if you see what I mean: Velvet Underground and Royal Trux. Both make a good stab at winning me over, I must admit. I’m not going to rush straight out and buy any records based on these tracks, but I’d be happy to download something by either of them and give it a go. The Royal Trux one – Hot and Cold Skulls – is the nicer. Is that one typical of their music? I’d like to know.

A combo called Double Leopards finish the whole thing off. The original ‘double leopard’ was a short-lived 14th century gold coin, an attempt by the then King of England Edward III (I think) to introduce a form of currency that might be used across Europe. The coin,however, much like the band, failed miserably HA HA HA that’s just a joke, the coinage did fail but the band strike me as being quite cool. In fact, Inner Light is a very nice serene, meditative noise piece that ends the tape beautifully.

Which artist, new to me, am I most likely to purchase something by? Stilluppsteypa, and maybe Double Leopards.
Who do I dislike the most? Teenage Fanclub

All in all, not bad: I liked a lot of it and disliked very little. Thanks are due: to Pookie and to you, taper. I’ll leave it to you to identify yourself!

Looking forward to round 2...

Old 08.09.2006, 12:13 PM   #356
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Unfortunately I have to sign off until later on tonight - boo - but if the taper posts any response to my review I will address his comments as soon as I'm back!

Love.

Old 08.09.2006, 12:17 PM   #357
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I'm the certain boardie!

By the way, there is a mystery track, right before Double Leopards, if memory serves. At least, I think I remember not identifying that track--I left it off by mistake. But right before Inmost Light, you should hear kind of a freeform jam, sort of an update Captain Beefheart sound.

I can let you know now, or you can give another listen?
Old 08.09.2006, 12:25 PM   #358
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Nice review, by the way. So you like the fish but not Twiggy?
Old 08.09.2006, 02:06 PM   #359
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Ah, this makes me very eager to recieve mine!

Dub Trio is also on the tape I made, and thats a hint.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2006, 02:14 PM   #360
gmku
invito al cielo

You're all making me wanna go order that damned Dub Trio Cd now. Can't find it anywhere. (The cut I used on my mix tape came from the Wire mag Cd thing.)
151617 18 19202128 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth