Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Post rare or out of print records's links or uploads on here
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.05.2007, 01:45 AM   #301
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jico.
buy it.

MOORE, SAM
MOOOHIEEE!
(EM Records)
cd

Subtitled: Musical Saw And Hawaiian Guitar Soli Recorded In Early 1920s. That's what it is, and it's SO GOOD! We're in love with this sepia-toned collection of old time tunes, some of them lively rags, others sad slowed-down ballads made even sadder by the unique sound of the saw.
If Japan's EM Records (the same label responsible for reissuing both the "Symphony of the Birds" and the Moolah records we raved about last list) has anything to do with it, pretty soon we'll have a whole little "musical saw" section here at Aquarius! It's one of their several weird, wonderful obsessions (along with thrift-store exotica LPs, obscure '70s New Age psych, pioneering electronic experiments, etc.) and so there's a slew of releases on EM featuring the gorgeous, if sometimes gimmicky (but not here!) sound of the musical saw.
We're gonna start you out with this, music by Sam Moore, an early 20th century master of the musical saw ... who also plays a mean guitar too, and who is accompanied on most of these tracks by another talent of the era, Horace Davis. (Roy Smeck and Frank Banta also make appearances.) You'll get to hear Moore's "Octo-chord" (an 8-string steel guitar) alongside the "harp-guitar" (a guitar outfitted with extra, resonating strings) of Davis on their hit, the "Laughing Rag". But it's the tracks with the musical saw that grab us the most. Listening to those, you'll understand why this instrument, steel bent and bowed, is also often called the "singing saw". It's got a definite vocal timbre, maybe also a bit like the electronic Theremin in that regard. Wavering, wordlessly moaning, haunting and eerie. MOOOHIEEE! (Man, we'd love to hear John Jacob Niles accompanied by a singing saw, if such a recording were to exist. That would be perfect.)
Some background: Sam Moore (1887-1959), was a child musical prodigy who, having quickly mastered the violin, guitar and banjo, soon developed an interest in playing more eccentric, unconventional "instruments" as well. He'd been doing so from a young age -- Moore's father once claimed that Sam, as a child, had been able to "get music out of a pitchfork" (!) although sadly, no recordings exist to prove it... But we do know that at one point Sam Moore was part of a vaudeville act called "Spooning And Ballooning" in which he played an inflated rubber balloon, dueting with another fellow who played the spoons (of course). Another of his unusual instrumental specialties was (as documented on much of this fantastic cd) the carpenter's steel hand saw, which is something of a Southern folk music-making tradition. 'Round about 1918 Moore had taken to playing the saw, and was able to capitalize on the fad for the instrument in the early '20s, bringing his sawing skills to New York City's famed Ziegfeld's Follies for a successful stint on stage circa 1920-21. Although that fad soon faded, Sam Moore never abandoned the saw, keeping it in his instrumental repertoire as his career stretched into the '40s and '50s.
All the recordings found here date from Sam's sawing heyday in the Twenties... 13 tracks all taken from rare old 78 rpm records treasured by collectors. That these vintage recordings, warm and crackly, are so burnished with the patina of the past only makes sound all the better to our ears. EM has fitted this out in handsome digipack, the only disappointment being that the extensive liner notes are pretty much all in Japanese...

MPEG Stream: "Mother Machree"
MPEG Stream: "My Old Hawaiian Home"
MPEG Stream: "Old Black Joe"

www.aquariusrecords.org
ah cool! thanks sop much. i would have bought it/ tried to buy it but the EM site is in japanese. but this site is in english, so its great.
thanks to all three of you.. repped

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2007, 01:48 AM   #302
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
ooops...
"must spread more repp before giving to jico and sarramkrop again...
but thanks again...

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2007, 09:31 PM   #303
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
John Fahey's Mill Pond Double EP (MP3s)

John Fahey occupies a unique place in the history of modern guitar music. He was able to merge country blues with influences like Bela Bartok, Charles Ives, and Indian ragas and somehow make it all work. Later he experimented with tape manipulation, samples, and even played the electric guitar. Apart from his own music, we have to thank Fahey for rediscovering blues musicians Skip James and Bukka White in the 60s and bringing them back into the recording studio. And for starting the careers of Robbie Basho, Leo Kottke, and George Winston on his Takoma label.
While Fahey earned a lot of respect for his music and influenced many other musicians, from Folk and New Age to Sonic Youth and Cul de Sac, he never really fit into any particular genre. And if that didn't already make him an outsider, he dissed the whole folk scene (Quote: "I remember when you'd go into a folk store, there'd always be a big sign up, 'Should Pete Seeger Go To Jail?' I'd always say, 'Absolutely. Because he sings such lousy music.'"), hated hippies, and despised New Age. When he was rediscovered by the indie crowd in the mid-90s, he collaborated with Cul de Sac and Jim O'Rourke and dismissed some of his own earlier work. To quote his old-time friend and collaborator Dr. Demento: "John did not really know the meaning of the word 'tact.' Or at least if he did, it didn't apply to him. He said what he thought, drunk or sober. Even if it hurt his own career and even if he knew it might, he still said what he felt."
His comeback in the mid-90s after a long fight with Epstein-Barr syndrome and heavy drinking was certainly helped by the release of an excellent 2-CD compilation "Return of the Repressed" by Rhino and two articles about Fahey by Byron Coley in Spin Magazine, all in 1994. At the time Fahey was living in a motel room in Salem, Oregon, where he subsequently recorded the Mill Pond Double EP and the full-length album "City of Refuge". The Mill Pond album was released in a very limited vinyl-only edition on Little Brother Records, and it is long out of print. So I offer an MP3 rip of my copy, unfortunately with a bit of surface noise, most notably on the first track. It is amazing lo-fi experimental stuff with some great Fahey vocals.

Disk 1: Ghosts | Garbage
Disk 2: You Can't Cool Off In The Millpond, You Can Only Die | The Mill Pond Drowns Hope

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/0...aheys-mil.html

Incredible.
Old 08.05.2007, 11:56 PM   #304
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

Bicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbrim
This look's great, but i'm not sure how to download it, it says there are two seperate file's to download and merge together, yet the the file merger application doesnt seem to work for me.

Jim, I got ya covered... Badongo is kinda bullshit, so I've started using mediafire exclusively... as should everybody else.

Check my blog in my sig... scroll down and ye shall find.
Bicorn Halfelven is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 03:32 AM   #305
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn Halfelven
Jim, I got ya covered... Badongo is kinda bullshit, so I've started using mediafire exclusively... as should everybody else.

Check my blog in my sig... scroll down and ye shall find.

Um... I don't mean to bust your balls, but the Sunn O))) link I posted was from your blog and it's on Badongo.
Jimbrim is correct. The two files can't be merged properly and the last track is missing if you do.

Would you be so kind as to fix it Mr. Halfelven?
Old 08.06.2007, 04:12 AM   #306
Kallisti23chaos
children of satan

Kallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's asses

Quote:
Throbbing Gristle - Discipline (12'', Live 1981)

Tracklisting:

A Discipline (Live Berlin) (10:45)
B Discipline (Live Manchester) (8:06)
Download
http://porkforkdork.blogspot.com/
Old 08.06.2007, 12:28 PM   #307
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

Bicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Um... I don't mean to bust your balls, but the Sunn O))) link I posted was from your blog and it's on Badongo.
Jimbrim is correct. The two files can't be merged properly and the last track is missing if you do.

Would you be so kind as to fix it Mr. Halfelven?

Whoops... I can be a bit careless sometimes.

Must've been posted right before I made the switch. I should have it up within the hour.
Old 08.06.2007, 01:30 PM   #308
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

Uploaded it to mediafire and the fuckers waited until the very end to tell me that there's a 100MB limit at the moment... fuck.

Sorry, you're on your own.

Check out http://bloodistruth.blogspot.com/

I'm sure it's still up in the archives.
Old 08.06.2007, 01:34 PM   #309
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

Nevermind the last post... here it is:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/j7lugx
Old 08.07.2007, 03:47 AM   #310
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks a lot Bicorn Halfelven.
Old 08.07.2007, 06:33 PM   #311
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, thanks a lot for that.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2007, 10:58 PM   #312
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Morita Douji

Morita Douji - A Boy (1977)

http://lix.in/46c573
Morita Douji - Mother Sky (1976)

http://lix.in/ea3b1a
Morita Douji - Goodbye (1975)

http://lix.in/2fc6ba
Beautiful and melancholic Folk/Chanson from mid-70ies female singer Morita Douji.
Had only one big hit, “Our Failure” (on the Album Mother Sky), which was used as opening theme for a japanese TV series in the 90ies.
Old 08.08.2007, 12:27 AM   #313
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses

This LIVE SKULL is the shit! Thanks! How about LIVE SKULL LIVE? It's the only other release in their catalog that never made it to CD I believe.
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 07:20 AM   #314
sarramkrop

Thank you all. wonderful stuff, and nice to see new contributors to this thread.

Four-track solo cdr album from Marcia Bassett of Double Leopards, Hototogisu, GHQ, Zaika and probably a bunch of other things by now on her own Heavy Blossom label. Bought from a Hototogisu show in 2005, and the vibe is floating but urgent, more similar to Hototogisu than any of the others mentioned above. Out-of-print and very rare - i've not seen this anywhere for a long time. Comes in a flat wraparound sleeve of fried original artworkk with textured insert. Description from Ebay.nl.

Download
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 07:24 AM   #315
sarramkrop

Pelt - Six Of Cups

It is said that "The Six of Cups repersents an orgasmic rush of feelings, a wave of ecstasy." Surely Pelt was experiencing this sort of feeling upon their sixth anniversary as a trio, and decided to mark this occasion with, among other things, this compilation (also sometimes known as "Odds And Sods") featuring one previously-unheard track from each of the past six years. It was a limited eidition of 30, so if you weren't at one of the anniversary shows, you missed out, sorry... Description from Klang.

Download

http://redzer0.blogspot.com/
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 09:39 AM   #316
sarramkrop

The Wind Harp - Song From the Hill

I've received countless e-mails requesting that I repost this as well. Sorry for taking so long, guys.

Click to download. (First half.)
Click to download. (Second half.)

The More You Know...
Year: 1972

A fantastic double album documenting the unearthly sounds emitted from a giant hilltop harp constructed by a group of early '70s California hippies. The resulting sounds are eerie, ambient and pretty intense. This is organic drone at its finest.
http://take-off-your-shoes.blogspot.com/
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 10:08 AM   #317
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Nice! Thanks to all of you.

rapaz maldito = jico?
Old 08.08.2007, 10:10 AM   #318
sarramkrop

Reynols - Polos Mosco CDR

http://www.mediafire.com/?fjwzyr1xm3z
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 10:43 AM   #319
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The Wind Harp - Song From the Hill

I've received countless e-mails requesting that I repost this as well. Sorry for taking so long, guys.

Click to download. (First half.)
Click to download. (Second half.)

The More You Know...
Year: 1972

A fantastic double album documenting the unearthly sounds emitted from a giant hilltop harp constructed by a group of early '70s California hippies. The resulting sounds are eerie, ambient and pretty intense. This is organic drone at its finest.
http://take-off-your-shoes.blogspot.com/

Thanks for this Porky.
I likes me wind harps.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 10:53 AM   #320
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, this harp recording is really nice, i like the fact they divided the record into seasons.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
131415 16 1718192666 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth