Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Some unheard Mars Volta !
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.03.2009, 07:55 AM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I absolutely hate them. I think they're the worst band of all time. I've always thought this, though admittingly Tremulant is LISTENABLE, if not much more. They're embarassingly bland and can't write a song to save their lives. I always find it funny that the least talented members of the band (Cedric and Omar) seem to be the focal point. Some of the worst guitar playing/solos I've ever heard and one of the worst vocalists ever. Every album is some guy with protools and a thousand effects pedals and a few talented members playing something, with Cedric yelling nonsense over top. Their music communicates nothing aside from wank. It's some of the most boring stuff I've ever heard. I don't mind a band being "pretentious" or "conceptual" but there's just nothing interesting about their sound, aside FROM some of the concepts and production tricks.

For the record, I love progressive rock, specifically avant-progressive stuff (Thinking Plague, Koenjihyakkei, Bondage Fruit, Happy Family, Dun, etc.). Mars Volta don't even belong in the same sentence as any of that stuff. They're atrocious.

Another thing that was brought to light about 6 months ago is that Omar thinks Mars Volta's fans are idiots. I read in soem magazine, I think it was GUITAR WORLD, an interview with him where he says that no one understands the band, not even their fans, and he said he hates (yes, he used the word HATE) anyone that only listens to them for their "weird" side. He went on to say that that's not the point of the band and there were many sides of the band that no one gets and blah blah blah. Specifically, he said (and I'm paraphrasing but you can search Mars Volta fansites or message boards for scans or quotes from the article), "People come up to me and talk about how we have 30 minute songs and how they love that and stuff, well fuck you that's not what our band's about..." Granted, there's plenty of bands I like with assholeish members, but I honestly don't see how anyone would want to purchase this guy's music after he was basically quoted as saying his fans are idiots for not understanding all the grand concepts of his band.

Basically, the Mars Volta represent everything wrong with music.

Though they did give me a great album title.. "The Mars Travolta."

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2009, 08:19 AM   #22
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to atsonicpark again.

I can save my words, nothing more is needed to be said.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2009, 10:23 AM   #23
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
there's gotta be a reason why these are unheard.
Old 01.03.2009, 10:49 AM   #24
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
jeez this thread took off.
Old 01.03.2009, 11:35 AM   #25
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Believe it or not, I'm enjoying reading the posts here.

I guess with all the negativity toward TMV, I'm surprised the thread didn't just fade away.

Carry on !!! LOL

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2009, 03:51 PM   #26
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Hehe... you're a good sport reginald.

I like.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2009, 10:16 PM   #27
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Can't rep Adam
Old 01.04.2009, 03:54 PM   #28
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i thought i would never say this about any band, but i prefer sparta over them.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2009, 04:25 PM   #29
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I absolutely hate them. I think they're the worst band of all time. I've always thought this, though admittingly Tremulant is LISTENABLE, if not much more. They're embarassingly bland and can't write a song to save their lives. I always find it funny that the least talented members of the band (Cedric and Omar) seem to be the focal point. Some of the worst guitar playing/solos I've ever heard and one of the worst vocalists ever. Every album is some guy with protools and a thousand effects pedals and a few talented members playing something, with Cedric yelling nonsense over top. Their music communicates nothing aside from wank. It's some of the most boring stuff I've ever heard. I don't mind a band being "pretentious" or "conceptual" but there's just nothing interesting about their sound, aside FROM some of the concepts and production tricks.

For the record, I love progressive rock, specifically avant-progressive stuff (Thinking Plague, Koenjihyakkei, Bondage Fruit, Happy Family, Dun, etc.). Mars Volta don't even belong in the same sentence as any of that stuff. They're atrocious.

Another thing that was brought to light about 6 months ago is that Omar thinks Mars Volta's fans are idiots. I read in soem magazine, I think it was GUITAR WORLD, an interview with him where he says that no one understands the band, not even their fans, and he said he hates (yes, he used the word HATE) anyone that only listens to them for their "weird" side. He went on to say that that's not the point of the band and there were many sides of the band that no one gets and blah blah blah. Specifically, he said (and I'm paraphrasing but you can search Mars Volta fansites or message boards for scans or quotes from the article), "People come up to me and talk about how we have 30 minute songs and how they love that and stuff, well fuck you that's not what our band's about..." Granted, there's plenty of bands I like with assholeish members, but I honestly don't see how anyone would want to purchase this guy's music after he was basically quoted as saying his fans are idiots for not understanding all the grand concepts of his band.

Basically, the Mars Volta represent everything wrong with music.

Though they did give me a great album title.. "The Mars Travolta."
you don't like 'em, do you?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth