Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page serious idea for a blog
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.06.2015, 02:25 PM   #1
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

Keeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's asses
like i said in the sightings thread, i want to start a blog that specifically documents the best of the best of the 00's noise/drone/weird scene.

most of this stuff exists on slsk or you wade through dead mediafire links from 2006 or hard to search for youtube vids with 14 views and 10 likes.

i want this to be a collaborative blog since there are others out there that know more than me.

i'll contribute pieces on each band/album and we post links.

there are so many lost classics and gems that were totally underlooked at the time and that came from poverty and were made by people probably still in it and beaten down by life, and it pains me that its all being forgotten in the digital void and this stuff is going unappreciated.

of course the point would be to only post the absolute creme de la creme

anyone interested hit me up or post suggestions of worthy inclusions in this thread
Old 06.06.2015, 07:38 PM   #2
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
this is a thing that needs to happen

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2015, 08:52 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Do it.. i recommended gmku start a fashion blog and its going well, im looking forward to reading yours.. also music is better for you, you get less pissed off about it than politics, ethics, or theology.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2015, 08:55 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I recommend your first post be about that epic mid-2000s noise event that was John Weiss opening for Sonic Youth on the Nurse tour in 2004. That was possibly one of the greatest noise combinations ive ever heard from one stage

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2015, 10:35 PM   #5
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I'm definitely always looking for “new” or underapreciated noise & drone music from that era. I used to search blogs like Blood is Truth endlessly for new noise music. There are also some incredible current artists that fly the proverbial noise/drone/experimental flag, and though they're hard to keep track of for one busy person, a groups of people might have better luck.

If this is a serious deal I'm totally in. I think I could contribute a lot of suggestions and recommendations, if we're talking noise/drone from 2006-present.

This is a good idea... What blog medium do you have in mind?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2015, 10:45 PM   #6
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

Keeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Gimple kicks all y'all's asses
Hell yes Severian, hit me up with recommendations and we can start compiling a list

Not sure about the medium yet but will probably tumblr it as well as do it somewhere else
Old 06.07.2015, 01:22 AM   #7
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

i already have stuff in mind for

hospitals - hairdryer peace
early pocahaunted
skaters
scissor shock

and would def do something for:

sightings
hair police
double leopards
mouthus
hair police
robe
goslings
no neck blues band
vibracathedral orchestra
stars of the lid

and want to include some harsh wall stuff like haemmoraging foetus

looking at that list from the top of my head those are prob the least obscure bands, so we can do way better

it would be one band per post with an indepth analysis and links/embedded stuff
Old 06.07.2015, 03:45 AM   #8
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
I'm just sitting on the train thinking of bands and there's so much incredible stuff, and this is just surface level, not even looking into any of the webs of connections or anything

ashtray navigations
wolf eyes
gang wizard
sandoz lab technicians
skullflower
no neck blues band
dreamcolour
yellow swans
emeralds
khanate
magik markers
pelt
hype williams
kevin drumm
astral social club
double leopards
birchville cat motel
bardo pond
magic lantern
opn
burning star core
taurpis tula
richard youngs
charalambides
vampire can't
birds of delay

severian while there is still a lot of stuff being made in this vein the whole thing has become completely decentralised and what gimple's talking about I feel died in about 2010/11 when wolf eyes went on hiatus, emeralds & opn graduated to emego, james ferraro made far side virtual, pocahaunted fell apart, the output of sightings/hair police etc. becoming considerably less frequent.

Old 06.07.2015, 04:30 AM   #9
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
you should definitely do it. i don't think i could contribute anything worth attention but would really be interested in something like that. double leopards, mouthus, vibracathedral orchestra were some of my favourite acts at the time, always was into what they were doing. yellow swans as well
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2015, 02:42 PM   #10
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest

severian while there is still a lot of stuff being made in this vein the whole thing has become completely decentralised and what gimple's talking about I feel died in about 2010/11 when wolf eyes went on hiatus, emeralds & opn graduated to emego, james ferraro made far side virtual, pocahaunted fell apart, the output of sightings/hair police etc. becoming considerably less frequent.

Yeah, it's true that there's been a noticeable lull in the production and release of noise music over the past few years.

Incidentally, we have very similar taste. Yellow Swans were the first act that came to mind when I went through this thread, actually. And yeah, Pocahaunted, Emeralds, Wolf Eyes, Jackie-o Motherfucker...

Also No-Neck Blues Band and Excepter
Belong
Burning Star Core!
Vibracathedral Orchestra
Robedoor
Mouthus

And if we're talking techno-influenced shit, then certainly Pan Sonic, Ben Frost, Fuck Buttons (maybe too modern? I don't know, I love me some Fuck Buttons... When Wolf Eyes fell out for a bit, I glommed on to FB's so tenaciously that I barely noticed their absence.)

I'm just spitting shit out here. Perhaps I should consult some notes and playlists and look through my music library a bit
Old 06.07.2015, 02:43 PM   #11
Severian
invito al cielo

god I love Burning Star Core.
Old 06.07.2015, 02:46 PM   #12
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Gimple
like i said in the sightings thread, i want to start a blog that specifically documents the best of the best of the 00's noise/drone/weird scene.

most of this stuff exists on slsk or you wade through dead mediafire links from 2006 or hard to search for youtube vids with 14 views and 10 likes.

i want this to be a collaborative blog since there are others out there that know more than me.

i'll contribute pieces on each band/album and we post links.

there are so many lost classics and gems that were totally underlooked at the time and that came from poverty and were made by people probably still in it and beaten down by life, and it pains me that its all being forgotten in the digital void and this stuff is going unappreciated.

of course the point would be to only post the absolute creme de la creme

anyone interested hit me up or post suggestions of worthy inclusions in this thread

owwww... look at you all growed up... wanting to build things!

i'm not trying to make fun, i swear, but i can't help to notice the change over the years--- hey, i'm old-- this is actually great/great idea/go forth & thrash

i'll read it for sure

i'll dig around my files for missing names
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2015, 02:53 PM   #13
Severian
invito al cielo

Also OOIOO. Times New Viking? LSD March. Prurient?

If this starts with a Tumblr, link it with a Wordpress. A cheap or free Wordpress template that allows CCS and HTML modification.

It's really hard to get regular readership on those mediums, though, without spending money. So my suggestion would be to link whatever you do to a Twitter feed and Facebook page, to try to draw people in so its not just a bunch of noise nerds posting their noise collections for their own amusement.

You know?
Old 06.07.2015, 04:52 PM   #14
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

Quote:

yeah this is exactly it - anyone want to share more insights in this vein please go for it

good to see i'm not the only one that noticed a sort of historical moment that happened for a few years

i can def remember a period where it seemed like there was an entire sub genre of skaters influenced bands.

the thing about this is that i don't want to impinge too much into things like hauntology and hypno and the whole fangs and arrows type scene because a lot of that stuff has already been covered but i do want to include the branch off points
Old 06.07.2015, 04:55 PM   #15
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Also OOIOO. Times New Viking? LSD March. Prurient?

If this starts with a Tumblr, link it with a Wordpress. A cheap or free Wordpress template that allows CCS and HTML modification.

It's really hard to get regular readership on those mediums, though, without spending money. So my suggestion would be to link whatever you do to a Twitter feed and Facebook page, to try to draw people in so its not just a bunch of noise nerds posting their noise collections for their own amusement.

You know?

yes this is what I was thinking about. also maybe a youtube channel too.

so far in this thread we've probably covered most of the big names - except for aids wolf - i also want to get at the forgotten stuff, rare gems and stuff that got passed over at the time.

anyone that has anything to share on these bands or feels they could contribute something jump in.
Old 06.07.2015, 08:50 PM   #16
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, it's true that there's been a noticeable lull in the production and release of noise music over the past few years.

Incidentally, we have very similar taste. Yellow Swans were the first act that came to mind when I went through this thread, actually. And yeah, Pocahaunted, Emeralds, Wolf Eyes, Jackie-o Motherfucker...

Also No-Neck Blues Band and Excepter
Belong
Burning Star Core!
Vibracathedral Orchestra
Robedoor
Mouthus

And if we're talking techno-influenced shit, then certainly Pan Sonic, Ben Frost, Fuck Buttons (maybe too modern? I don't know, I love me some Fuck Buttons... When Wolf Eyes fell out for a bit, I glommed on to FB's so tenaciously that I barely noticed their absence.)

I'm just spitting shit out here. Perhaps I should consult some notes and playlists and look through my music library a bit
oh yeah shit belong, they were a good one. also the cleveland scene so bee mask and everyone else on that axis.

ben frost & fuck buttons are in a completely different lineage, more along the lines of 'populist noise' for lack of a better term, employing accessible signifiers like melody/rhythm to very conventional means. while all those other groups you've listed definitely conform to what we're talking about here those two are completely different; their music is high fidelity, free from the murk which defined everything else we're talking about and similarly lacking in any identifiable esotericism. also their music has been released on very prominent record labels and as such no DIY element. also ben frost is australian and also ben frost is a fucking cunt. his music's shit as well. tried to be nice but couldn't hold it together, sincerely sorry but I hate ben frost so much.

and as much as pan sonic employ noise as a compositional tool they were also operating within a completely different context, more readily aligning with the european avant-garde electronic styles (for example mego, touch, type, raster-noton), musics which skewed towards a more sterile, academic place as opposed to the proclivity of 21st century noise artists (particularly in the US) to engage in completely uninhibited improvisation which owes more to DIY rock and kosmische than GRM or modernist comp.

Old 06.07.2015, 08:52 PM   #17
the end of the ugly

gimple I'm actually just polishing off a piece on the death of rock, talking about how sonic youth issued a threat to it on which they never truly delivered with the dead c marking its demise and creating a context wherein the liminal properties of rock were able to be explored by 21st century noise artists. so if you want this turd for your blog you're welcome.

Old 06.07.2015, 09:35 PM   #18
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I am a pretty casual noise enthusiest, but Wolf Eyes yes!
Old 06.07.2015, 10:33 PM   #19
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
not sure this enters as what category, but maryanne amacher! -- making the ear produce its own sounds is pure genius

and therefore her teacher, stockhausen

also, alvin lucier

none of these artists qualify as a "band" from the 00's (though amacher had her 3rd ear releases) but eh

also

double leopards

sunburned hand of the man

sunn (i'll skip the unpronounceable part)

o wait guest already said double leopards-- and birds of delay!

nautical almanac, then

agata (from melt-banana) has some great solo stuff

16 bitch pileup came & disappeared and i always wanted a re-listen

more towards the techno-pop-punk then (i saw the name of times new viking, a bit too commercial for me but whatever) les georges leningrad were great

btw scott v if i recall has/had a massive connection to the noise scene. i think he only comes here to shake his fist at the kids these days, but someone could PM him he might like something with a purpose

also, see here:

http://www.heresee.com/tarantulalink.htm
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2015, 11:01 PM   #20
Keeping It Gimple
children of satan

Quote:
gimple I'm actually just polishing off a piece on the death of rock, talking about how sonic youth issued a threat to it on which they never truly delivered with the dead c marking its demise and creating a context wherein the liminal properties of rock were able to be explored by 21st century noise artists. so if you want this turd for your blog you're welcome.

definitely hit me up with it, will take a draft if its not finished yet.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth