Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page i met thurston a few weeks ago!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.21.2006, 08:39 AM   #1
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
hers the review of the june 9th show atr pace that ive been posting at different places. i know its kinda long but i was really excited, and i figuered someone here might be interested in hearing.
so here it is......

last night june 9th 2006 my brother and i drove to pace in easthampton mass to see thurston moore+bark haze, whirlwind heat and be your own pet (for this message they shall be known as BYOP. the days leading up to the show were all whirlwind heat (hahahaha). i had decided that this is the perfect opportunity to try to give the thurston moore, the album that my band (dellilah) had recorded a month ago. so i had to print out a cover and make a copy (which im still not sure if it works or not:-). i was also nervous whether i would even have a chance to speak to him. or if he so then maybe hes some pretentious asshole who doesnt give a shit if i have an album that i want him to hear.
my brother and i left acton at around 16:23 for the two hour ride to easthampton. (we listened to the searchers creedence and dino jr in case anybody was wondering) we arrived at PACE at around 18:23, the first ones there! and to my amazment the place was tiny! as you enter the building you first go through the PACE coffeeshop\restaraunt and in the back through a door is the stage area. its holds probably no more than 100 spectators. just my luck! we waited a few minutes but then got bored so natrually we went in search for the local used cd store. inside the store i noticed a copy of Rather Ripped, hoping that is on sale i was dissapointed to find out that it was just the stores promo copy (how come when i worked at Tower Records i never got promo copies of cds? i think i can answer that bad boy by myself).
after a few minutes we returned to the venue which had gotten fuller (10 people) at around 19:55 pm the doors opened letting us intothe show room.
10 minutes of waiting. foolish thoughts of seeing a tall lanky 47 year old come in the room shirtless and preach to us all that we are not ducks but in fact, humans. at around 8:15 in comes a young female carriying a guitar. 15 seconds later a tall beer bellied coke bottled glasses wearing god father of alternative music walks into the room. not from the backstage area, but from the side entrance like any other average joe. that son of a bitch walked two fucking feet next to me and heads towards the stage. i swear to god i shat myself cold. he got onstage and started talking to his bark haze bandmate, andrew, otherwise known as 'gown'. after a few minutes of contemplation i got up. he was sitting on the stage stairs so he wasnt as tall and intimidating as usual.
i got his attention wording a quik 'thurston' in his direction. he smiled towards me. a genuinly warm smile. i introduced myself and my brother and told him that im in a band from israel. "where? tel aviv?" he asked. i told him jerusalem and he commented on the beauty of the country and how he was there before. i told him that i knew but it was way before i had ever heard of them. i then handed him the album (' session with Dr luv can be aquired through CatiNaBag records. email us a dellilahtheband@gmail.com or visit us at www.myspace.com\dellilahtheband

)and told him that wed be honored if he would hear it and maybe tell us what he thought. even if it sucks. i asked him if theyre going to come back to israel, he told me that he would like to. i told him that if they ever needed a place to stay..... i then shook his hand and once again thanked him for everything and his music.
then his show started. at first it was just him and a guitar he played three songs off of the new album 'do you believe in rapture' incinerate' and pink steam. ladies and gentelman allow me to say this-the new SY is going to kick ass!! amazing songs and i got to watch from five feet away! it was so unique to hear the songs and see them just thurston and a guitar, no band. then his guitarist Gown joined him onstage and they did a 20 minute improve noize fest. completely fucking mindblowing! one of the most beutiful and intense advenures either my ears or eyes had ever expeirianced. thurston is truly the master at free improvosation, and at the end of the set gown was on the floor banging the guitar and going completely crazy banging and assaulting his instrument while thurston did a fuill on attack on his amp, a mixture of pulvurizing it with his guitar . the show ended with the amp being toss onto the floor and the monitors thrown offstage.
i met up with andrew (gown) and told him how amazing they were. he thanked m. after asking about purchising his albums he told me that i could email him and hed send me..

next on the bill were Wearlwind Heat. they compltely blew me away, drums vocals bass and moog but, louder than a hiroshima chilbirth. they are kind of like a mixture between the liars beck and lightningbolt. it should be a law that everyone should see them live. pure intensity the kind of total cacophony and mayhem that ripps your mind out and spaltters it againt the nearest surface. i bought two of their albums..
after their show my brother and i went out to the coffee shop to sit for a minute. and guess whos there sipping on a fucking beer and seated at one of the booths. thurston fucking moore. what a guy. as if oblivios to the fact that he is such an important figure to the history of rock and roll and the total impact of his work. to him hes just a guy having a beer with some friends after a show.

last but certainly not least were BYOP. a ferocious live set of fast loud shortpunk rock songs.this band is made up of like 18 year old, their music is morehard core, riot grrly, x-ray-spexish. and the singer pettite 19 year old female blonde, whose voice reminds you of poly styrene and corin tucker and her on stage gyrations remind me of a younger, prettier less pretentios version of karen-o. the band where everywere, jumping playing, running offstage to the crowd and playing with them even with all of the mistakes [broken strings, arguing onstage about what song to play next (which is very Ramones of them)] is was still a fantastic show!
throughout the show i would glance at thurston who was standing against the wall sipping his beer and smiling as if giving these young artists the elder of the tribes seal of approval. during the last song of the set the BYOP singer started throwing thisngs at the audiance- a mic stand at a photagrapher and a hardshell bass case at an audiance member, and water\waterbottle (which my brother caught and kept). i saw thurston start laughing at this point, i think beer even came out of his nose he was laughing so hard. the evening ended and on my way out i said goodnight to thurston and told him that he had a great show, and my brother and i left. ending one of the most exciting and greatest nights of my life.
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 08:50 AM   #2
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
cool
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 08:56 AM   #3
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Nice story.
Old 06.21.2006, 09:21 AM   #4
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
wonderful...

i can imagine the euphoria you must've felt..
hands still trembling?

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 06:00 PM   #5
RoadkillKid
little trouble girl

RoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's assesRoadkillKid kicks all y'all's asses
"drums vocals bass and moog but, louder than a hiroshima chilbirth."

That sentence made my night. Great review, thanks for the words.
RoadkillKid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 08:30 PM   #6
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
thanks everyone. i still havent gotten over that night. i watched 1991 TYPB tonight for the first time since the show. such a great movie
Old 06.21.2006, 09:38 PM   #7
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the story fugazifan

"Yes, I am a fag. Thanks for noticing!"
--HaydenAsche
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2006, 07:04 PM   #8
swimsuitissue
little trouble girl

swimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gookid
Thanks for the story fugazifan
Yeah, thanks for sharing!
11/19/88 Hollywood, CA; 08/017/90 Hollywood, CA; 09/26/92 Castaic Lake, CA; 07/23/00 Los Angeles, CA; 07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/28/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/20/07 Los Angeles, CA

Television: chewing gum for the eyes. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
swimsuitissue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 09:49 AM   #9
Brett Robinson
bad moon rising

Brett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's asses
why the hell does someone from Israel move to ACTON???
Brett Robinson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 11:50 AM   #10
fugazifan
invito al cielo

my parents live here. they moved here because of the excellent school system. i still live in israel
Old 07.03.2006, 12:03 PM   #11
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
cool story, thanks!
that's what i'd like to experience so much..see thurston's show somewhere in small club doing his impro somewhere deep in fucking states, oh man. i've never been in us.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 12:52 PM   #12
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Great story. For some reason I always enjoy reading about encounters with SY from you guys.

Did thurston get back to you about the cd?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 02:11 PM   #13
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
amazing story, man. kind of "fantasy becoming reality" thing.
Old 07.03.2006, 02:40 PM   #14
fugazifan
invito al cielo

he hasnt gotten back to me, probably because they went on tour like three days after the show....so he probably didnt have much time...
Old 07.03.2006, 03:39 PM   #15
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Is it scary living in Israel?

"Yes, I am a fag. Thanks for noticing!"
--HaydenAsche
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 05:49 AM   #16
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

Protectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's asses
great story!
Protectmeyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth