Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Are they doing a 20th anniversary version of Nevermind?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.31.2011, 09:02 PM   #41
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
I'm eager to hear the "all-Vig" masters. I've always had issues with Nevermind's general sound, and I'm hoping I'll like Butch's version better.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.02.2011, 09:32 PM   #42
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
If by "all-Vig masters" you mean the Smart Studio Sessions that would be on disc 2, and also "The Devonshire Mixes" which would be on disc 3 (a lot have been omitted); i could say you won't find a result as polished as the final version since Andy Wallace's work is really evident on the album, but it's also true that Nirvana was certainly going after a cleaner sound, as opposed to what they had done on "Bleach", for instance. The January 1, 1991 session at Music Source Studios in Seattle with Steve Fisk at the helm, is proof of that. In conclusion, there is some amount of grittiness in that material but it's not radically different all things considered.

Despite the redundancy of its inclusion, the recording of Nirvana's performance at The Paramount in Halloween of 1991 is, from my point of view, the most valuable thing this re-issue will have to offer, but it just won't save this artifact from being a very disappointing release.
Old 08.02.2011, 09:52 PM   #43
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
If by "all-Vig masters" you mean the Smart Studio Sessions that would be on disc 2, and also "The Devonshire Mixes" which would be on disc 3 (a lot have been omitted); i could say you won't find a result as polished as the final version since Andy Wallace's work is really evident on the album, but it's also true that Nirvana was certainly going after a cleaner sound, as opposed to what they had done on "Bleach", for instance. The January 1, 1991 session at Music Source Studios in Seattle with Steve Fisk at the helm, is proof of that. In conclusion, there is some amount of grittiness in that material but it's not radically different all things considered.

Despite the redundancy of its inclusion, the recording of Nirvana's performance at The Paramount in Halloween of 1991 is, from my point of view, the most valuable thing this re-issue will have the offer, but it just won't save this artifact from being a very disappointing release.

Well, that "clean" sound made Nevermind sound like it was recorded under water. That's why I'm hoping the "all-Vig" masters sound a little bit less like someone gargling mouthwash.

Bleach had a great, classic, almost SST-style tone. In Utero came out GREAT, despite the changes made to Albini's original mix. But Nevermind has always sounded out of place. Even the B-sides from that era have better sound. "Curmudgeon" for instance... or "Even in his Youth". Don't know why, but all the rockers that ended up on that record sound like shit compared to their live versions.
Old 08.02.2011, 10:33 PM   #44
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
That makes sense. Your general beef with it seems to be more with Andy Wallace's work, then. I would suppose listening to the deluxe edition will satisfy you. I was referring more to the general identity, structure and dynamic of the songs when i mentioned that there weren't many differences between the rough stuff and the final record.

I see "Bleach" more lined up with the general aesthetic of Sub Pop's roster at the time, and probably wouldn't link it to SST Records strictly. "In Utero" is certainly great (and my favorite Nirvana album) but it's certainly flawed, even in some parts of the production. Having heard Steve Albini's mix, i don't consider that Scott Litt's work actually damaged the record.

I sort of agree with you on your commentary towards the "Curmudgeon" and "Even In His Youth" B-sides. Those are wonderful songs in terms of dynamics and performance. I would recommend you to get a copy of the January 1 of 1991 session that i mentioned before. Nirvana recorded "Aneurysm" which ended up on "Incesticide", "Oh The Guilt", an embryonic version of "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" without vocals, "On A Plain", an early version of "All Apologies", and then killer versions of "Even In His Youth" and "Token Eastern Song". The raw power of this specific recording always made me wish to have a chance to listen to the actual master tapes of the recording sessions that spawned "Nevermind" in hopes that there were similar gems in there, i thought it would be possible judging by all the things that have been said about the whole process. I don't know if it would be worth to wait another decade for those, though.

As for your opinion about the "Nevermind" songs being shitty on record as opposed to their live versions, i have to say i somehow agree with that, and not only in the case of this particular album (although of course i wouldn't dare to deny its merits). I believe Nirvana's charm lies in the mighty power they had when performing live. I barely ever listen to any of the albums, but i'm still interested in getting whatever Nirvana live recordings that i'm missing in my collection.
Old 08.02.2011, 10:48 PM   #45
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
In Bloom changed my life.

Well, Teen Spirit blew me away too, but once I bought the tape and In Bloom kicked in.....fuck.
Old 08.02.2011, 11:22 PM   #46
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
That makes sense. Your general beef with it seems to be more with Andy Wallace's work, then. I would suppose listening to the deluxe edition will satisfy you. I was referring more to the general identity, structure and dynamic of the songs when i mentioned that there weren't many differences between the rough stuff and the final record.

I see "Bleach" more lined up with the general aesthetic of Sub Pop's roster at the time, and probably wouldn't link it to SST Records strictly. "In Utero" is certainly great (and my favorite Nirvana album) but it's certainly flawed, even in some parts of the production. Having heard Steve Albini's mix, i don't consider that Scott Litt's work actually damaged the record.

I sort of agree with you on your commentary towards the "Curmudgeon" and "Even In His Youth" B-sides. Those are wonderful songs in terms of dynamics and performance. I would recommend you to get a copy of the January 1 of 1991 session that i mentioned before. Nirvana recorded "Aneurysm" which ended up on "Incesticide", "Oh The Guilt", an embryonic version of "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" without vocals, "On A Plain", an early version of "All Apologies", and then killer versions of "Even In His Youth" and "Token Eastern Song". The raw power of this specific recording always made me wish to have a chance to listen to the actual master tapes of the recording sessions that spawned "Nevermind" in hopes that there were similar gems in there, i thought it would be possible judging by all the things that have been said about the whole process. I don't know if it would be worth to wait another decade for those, though.

As for your opinion about the "Nevermind" songs being shitty on record as opposed to their live versions, i have to say i somehow agree with that, and not only in the case of this particular album (although of course i wouldn't dare to deny its merits). I believe Nirvana's charm lies in the mighty power they had when performing live. I barely ever listen to any of the albums, but i'm still interested in getting whatever Nirvana live recordings that i'm missing in my collection.

Interesting...

However, the Incesticide version of "Aneurysm" is terrible. I think I was in junior high when they debuted the Muddy Banks version on MTV and it totally rejuvenated my interest in the band. But the "album" cut is really lame, IMO.

You mentioned that I should hear the Albini mix of Utero.... do you have it by any chance? I, despite having been a Nirvana fan since they were still together, have NEVER heard that recording, and I've always wanted to.

Actually, I didn't even know it was "out there".

Nevermind definitely has its moments, don't get be wrong. "In Bloom" is great on that record, as is "Drain You", which was my favorite Nirvana song for years. But "Come as You Are" sounds like shit... so does "Territorial Pissings" and "Breed". Punk rock and billboard pop have never mixed well enough for my liking.

In Utero is the gem. "Milk It" is one of the heaviest things ever laid down to tape. I think In Utero is their true masterpiece, no question, and that "All Apologies" is the "All You Need is Love" of our little x-generation (of which many here are probably not part of). "Dumb" is so perfectly quiet and solemn and sincere, and hearing it is like taking an auditory valium. And one can never undersell the ferocity and menace of "Frances Farmer..." Yeah, they got their sound DOWN on Utero. But I'd still kill a small child to hear the original Albini mix. Help a brother out?

Thanks for the interesting commentary!
Old 08.02.2011, 11:24 PM   #47
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
In Bloom changed my life.

Well, Teen Spirit blew me away too, but once I bought the tape and In Bloom kicked in.....fuck.

Same. I think In Bloom was the real "rock masterpiece" of the record, but it's meaning and intent were too obscure, and it wasn't as heavily embraced.

Also, every Nevermind video sucks, except for the sheer iconography of the SLTS clip, which is the only thing that makes it good. CAYA and Lithium were piss poor, pointless promos. The In Bloom video on the other hand is one of the best videos ever made.

What do you think?
Old 08.07.2011, 12:32 AM   #48
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Pre-order links:
http://www.nirvanaclub.com/index.php...ws&storyid=724
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2011, 08:22 PM   #49
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

"Nevermind" will be played in its entirety on September 20th by an as yet unannounced cast, which as a matter of fact will include Krist Novoselic's participation on one song only, according to a twatter update:
http://twitter.com/#!/kristnovoselic

More info in the following links:
Old 09.25.2011, 06:39 AM   #50
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
The 1991 Paradiso, amsterdam show can be watched here: http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=13200014 with and interview with Krist, Dave and Butch before it.

The classic album episode is also online: http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=13206327
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2011, 07:17 AM   #51
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
i fucking love Nevermind. the 1st half has all their monsterous hits, the 2nd half has some of their best songs ever.. DRAIN YOU.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2011, 12:33 PM   #52
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
If anyone has an audio copy of the John Stewart and Grohl, Krist interview please share.

I think it was recorded last night.
Old 10.09.2011, 01:46 PM   #53
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvdWee
The 1991 Paradiso, amsterdam show can be watched here: http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=13200014 with and interview with Krist, Dave and Butch before it.

The classic album episode is also online: http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=13206327

Thanks, that one would have been a serious candidate to be included in the deluxe edition. It has a peculiar performance of "Come As You Are", but otherwise there aren't too many flaws. One of my favorites for sure, I uploaded a matrix that includes the whole show a long time ago and the link still works:

http://sonicyouth.com/gossip/showpos...postcount=1289

I'm still happy it was actually the Halloween show which was released, though. Received my copy of the super deluxe package this week, but I haven't gotten around to listening to the whole thing. I guess it's just not too exciting, actually. The DVD is great, though.
Old 10.09.2011, 09:56 PM   #54
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
They're scraping the bottom of the barrel w/ this one. Doubt I'll end up getting it.
Old 10.09.2011, 10:31 PM   #55
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
i fucking love Nevermind. the 1st half has all their monsterous hits, the 2nd half has some of their best songs ever.. DRAIN YOU.

I have to agree totally.
Old 10.10.2011, 12:52 AM   #56
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Lounge Act.
Old 11.04.2011, 06:35 AM   #57
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Nirvana Live at the Paramount - On BBC FOUR tonight...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016fr66

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth