Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.29.2014, 02:32 PM   #5001
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
He dives too much to be truly likable

he's nothing. you should watch la liga to catch some primo somersaults
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2014, 02:45 PM   #5002
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Mexico didn't throw the game, they just got outplayed by a better team.

!@#$%! much like our chat about the USMNT, I just don't think Mexico's attack is strong enough to sustain for an entire match. Sure, they made it easier for Netherlands by not attacking as much in the 2nd half BUT its not like Mexico's defense was making it any easier for Netherlands either.

Shit, by the 80th minute Netherlands was looking like Mexico's defense was psychologically getting to them.. ALL that attacking, ALL those corners, wasted? For nothing? Mexico was clowning on the defensive end.

Was it a risk? Yes. Was it a gamble that lost? Of course. But for 82 minutes it was totally working and it was really looking like Netherlands was going to legitimately lose this match.

Then Netherlands remembered,"Hey offensively we are really that good.." and kept up their relentless attack and broke through. That first goal by them was epic good, they just found a hole and punched it through..

Mexico can leave proud. They played fantastic in this tournament and they weren't realistically going to advance much deeper regardless..

Again, my FAVORITE part about the World Cup is REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2014, 02:53 PM   #5003
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
where did you get that mexico's attack was not strong enough? it was strong enough to get ahead of the netherlands. herrera shouldn't have taken out dos santos there. when chicharito came in he had nobody to connect for him. netherlands risked a lot by pushing with everything to even out and mexico did not offer danger on the counter. bad tactics.
Old 06.29.2014, 03:05 PM   #5004
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
where did you get that mexico's attack was not strong enough?
From watching them play!!

Quote:
it was strong enough to get ahead of the netherlands.

That was a lucky goal in injury time, I think its an outlier more than an indicator...

Look, I totally don't disagree with your analysis of a balanced, attack AND defense oriented strategy.. For the better teams in the world that is EXACTLY how you need to play.

But for USA? Yeah, if we tried that shit there would be nothing but broken plays and takeaways by the other team..

If Mexico had tried that shit they would have equally been clowned by Netherlands. While true Mexico's attack is much better than USA, lets not kid ourselves and pretend its anything like the Dutch

I do agree with you, when Dos Santos came out it became very clear that Mexico was going to give up attacking and play for defense. Meanwhile didn't you see how discombobulated, visibly frustrated and perplexed Netherlands were looking? Point blank, Mexico's defense was STIFLING them, I dare say it almost worked!

What if Mexico had attacked a bit more and that resulted in worse defensive rotations and subsequently opening up more holes for Netherlands? See, that is why I disagree with your attack-first strategy for teams that don't have the talent to pull it off..

You are talking about how the BEST teams in the world play and that strategy simply doesn't work for lesser quality rosters... The trick is to play to your strengths, and in particular CONCACAF teams strength has always been on the defensive end, and even Mexico over-exerts themselves when they are forced to attack too much..

Old 06.29.2014, 03:24 PM   #5005
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Meh symbols is rght Mexico thrw it away. They weren't keeping possession and after that many corner kicks...that shit was bound to happen.

I don't think that its about Mexico not keeping possession so much as not being ABLE to keep possession. And to be sure, you are totally right, after the Dutch missed what seemed like the 1000th corner kick I said to myself, "Its sheer MATH, the Dutch almost HAVE to make one of these..."

Old 06.29.2014, 03:38 PM   #5006
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

watch greece play ACTUAL defense
Old 06.29.2014, 03:39 PM   #5007
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrera
"Today it was the man with the whistle who eliminated us from the World Cup,'' Herrera said.
"If a referee invents a penalty, you're out of the World Cup,'' Herrera added. "I hope they have a look at what happened and that this gentleman goes home just like we are.''

Sorry broham, but YOU'RE THE COACH, be a big man and admit fault. That was a total fucking foul, just like what happened to Ivory Coast against Greece. NOW, I can agree that it shouldn't have been a direct free kick, just like I don't like the direct free kick Greece was given, should have been an indirect free kick at most, BUT it was totally a penalty. Own up to it, don't be a denialist like Luis Suarez and the entire nation of Uruguay

Also, that penalty didn't lose the match. As !@#$%! suggested, Mexico deciding not to score anymore goals cost them the match. Giving up that first goal to the Dutch cost them the match. The penalty was just a nail in the coffin.

I hate when coaches blame officiating on their losses, when there are so many other things that happen in any given game. EVERY possession counts, so if you lose a game on a bad or questionable call, you really just lost it on those other errors, mistakes, or wasted opportunities your team left on the table. Such is sport, own up to it.

Old 06.29.2014, 03:52 PM   #5008
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

this first half was as entertaining as watching flies fuck
Old 06.29.2014, 03:55 PM   #5009
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I know!!!! It has been as boring as the second half of yesterday's Brazil-Chile match....

I had more fun reading all the hater comments on ESPN about that penalty call than trying to watch this match. Ivory Coast would be ripping it up by now

Old 06.29.2014, 04:01 PM   #5010
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
ate mexican today. so that's about as close as a came to watching this shit. i just had to sit under the flat. screen.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2014, 04:05 PM   #5011
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
ate mexican today.

Here we just call it comida

Old 06.29.2014, 04:21 PM   #5012
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

Old 06.29.2014, 04:58 PM   #5013
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

30 more minutes of this? i already fell asleep once (well, it's also a hot day).
Old 06.29.2014, 04:59 PM   #5014
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Well that has to be the first game (outside of England) where I've actually dreaded an equaliser happening. Just awful. So I awful I can't bring myself to watch extra time.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2014, 05:02 PM   #5015
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Well that has to be the first game (outside of England) where I've actually dreaded an equaliser happening. Just awful. So I awful I can't bring myself to watch extra time.

im gonna make myself a gin + tonic and stare at the ceiling
Old 06.29.2014, 05:03 PM   #5016
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt

Totally. If only both teams could be eliminated and somehow let Chile back in on a wildcard.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2014, 05:10 PM   #5017
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Totally. If only both teams could be eliminated and somehow let Chile back in on a wildcard.

i can't understand how this costa rica is the same team that beat uruguay and italy.

how the fuck did they do it?

---

eta: well at least they shoot their PKs better than chile
Old 06.29.2014, 06:21 PM   #5018
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
In fairness to Costa Rica they play a quick counter attacking style. Greece sat deep meaning Costa Rica couldn't play with this style. Their style of football also breaks up the play and suffocates any passage of open play, i.e. fouls, 10 men behind the ball, it is very dull to watch. I'm pretty sure Costa Rica will give Holland a much better match, I think Greece just manage to make any game boring.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2014, 07:07 PM   #5019
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yes.

====

anyway, my points today, pretty dismal

karnezis 3
manolas 5 marquez 3 gonzalez 9
tejeda 5 herrera 4 maniatis 3

looking forward to having enyeama come in for GK. has to be better than 3 points. nigeria may lose, but the guy is a monster. bound to have great saves.

also coming in:
hummels, halliche, medjani
bentaleb
müller

(all my 3-pointers will be subbed-out)
Old 06.29.2014, 07:34 PM   #5020
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I think a major weakness of CONCACAF teams is that against each other 1-0 wins are common, and so defensively even the better teams rely on parking the bus too early. This works because none of the teams have quite enough offensive potency to break through.. Meanwhile when they try and rely on this strategy against teams with a better attack you see them falter.. It bit Mexico in the ass today, and it almost bit Costa Rica..

Props to Greece's defense they actually out CONCACAFED Costa Rica for a long while, but Staxtopouta is going home from the Ball a bit early..

201241248249250 251 252253254261301351 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth