Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.30.2015, 10:26 AM   #46761
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Now I am listened all three first Minutemen-albums. Well, Double Nickels is of course also good, but not as great as those two other. Itīs like they lost some of their "madness" they have in What makes a man. Specially Boonīs voice doesnīt have same power. There are great songs like Nature Without Man, God Bows to Math, the Politics of Time. Also really love their CCR-cover. This album also not of course sounds mainstream, but I think it is any way much more straightforward than itīs predecessors. I donīt understand why they changed into that direction. I donīt also know their lifeīs situation that time, maybe they were tired of tours when making that record?

Also listened Revisited first time in my life as whole (can you imagine). Yes, I think there are something same even Revisited is better. Also White Album came into my mind, maybe because they both have lots of different material (which I think is a good in double albums, you donīt get bored).

I think itīs little bit wrong to call Minutemen just hardcore punk band, because I think itīs much more. Maybe this is only in Finland, but here hardcore punk means nowdays just that punk where every song is played with that uptempo beat. And singer really not sing. At first that term was also here just meaning of punk that is more extreme than normal punk. There was hardcore scene in Finland also in the beginning of eighties, but I prefer only Terveet Kädet & Kansanturvamusiikkikomissio from that. Latter was the only one, who was something else than that uptempo punk. Hereīs piece from them (I think you can hear influences from Birthday Party):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJiYg5IoMM
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2015, 03:54 PM   #46762
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
if you like the Minutemen then check out Saccharine Trust. sort along the same lines expect the lyrics are weird and some sort of slam poetry thingy. Surviving You Always is the best, to me. sometimes Kim sounds like the singer of this band.

haven't heard the Minutemen in a long time. but they were something back in the day for me and all the other SST bands, only because I didn't know I could order albums from the local record store, and had catalogs from SSt, Touch and Go. so I was loaded on Big black, Meat Puppets, black flag blah blah blah vinyl. for all I cared my other peers could suck on their Sublime, no doubt, and Smashing Plunckhead discs.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2015, 05:35 PM   #46763
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, def check out Meat Puppets too if you like Minutemen. Totally different sounds for the most part, but both bands did some interesting variations on classic rock guitar sounds.

Also, ever listen to the Wipers, Mortte?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2015, 01:17 AM   #46764
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, def check out Meat Puppets too if you like Minutemen. Totally different sounds for the most part, but both bands did some interesting variations on classic rock guitar sounds.

Also, ever listen to the Wipers, Mortte?
No. Black Flag is the only one I think Iīve heard a little. I donīt know why but Henry Rollins irritates me, specially in his solo career. Heīs of course great guy and has an attitude and blahblah. Anyway I am going to check also Black Flag, because Iīve got also wrong picture of Minutemen (just because I hadnīt heard those great first albums). I am really glad I have now five weeks Holiday, so time to listen all great music!

This day I am going to spend all the great sixties/seventies wonders I have recently found like Kinks, Blossom Toes, Family & Fairport Convention albums. Finally I am going to listen Dylanīs Freewheelin as a whole too. Also I am going to listen some Pussy Galore again.

One band that came to my mind from Minutemen is Trumans Water from the nineties. Of course theyīre not as great as their skills and not have as strong bass sound, but I think both have continued Beefheartīs tradition in a very great, interesting way.
Old 05.31.2015, 01:39 AM   #46765
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
^^uh, wait wait what???.... did anyone recommend the Our Band Could Be Your Life Book???/ you acted like HUH?!?!?! ok, an English barrier.

heard a little of black flag?, first time hearing highway 61 revisited, and minutemen?!?! and...and never heard The Wipers...?????? but loves Nomeansno and Fugazi?

as much classic rock love you spew here and yr now just going to hear The Freewheeling by BD?

no, sorry. I don't believe it. you're pulling our leg?!

and you needled me for hating Pink Floyd? Finland is a weird country.

no offence because it seems to be true. btw. Sugar Shit Sharp is the only Pussy Galore you need.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2015, 04:29 AM   #46766
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
have to shit out ~15k words by this time next week and am entering into a state of total psychosis

breakdown is the greatest song of all time

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2015, 06:38 AM   #46767
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccagotcursedout
^^uh, wait wait what???.... did anyone recommend the Our Band Could Be Your Life Book???/ you acted like HUH?!?!?! ok, an English barrier.

heard a little of black flag?, first time hearing highway 61 revisited, and minutemen?!?! and...and never heard The Wipers...?????? but loves Nomeansno and Fugazi?

as much classic rock love you spew here and yr now just going to hear The Freewheeling by BD?

no offence because it seems to be true. btw. Sugar Shit Sharp is the only Pussy Galore you need.
I Think you should read the earlier posts in this thread if you really want to know, why Minutemen, Black Flag etc. are not my everyday basic porridge as it seems to be most here.

Pink Floyd has always been much more important to me than Dylan (and still is). As a young I didnīt like Dylan at all (I donīt think I am the only oné in the world). Maybe at the age of seventeen or eighteen I recorded Desire on cassette. That was long time the only Dylan album I listened. Last year I bought my first Dylan-vinyl (Bringing it on home). I have now been quite interested at him, but I donīt believe I will become ever a big fan.

I have always listened music that Iīve been interested at the moment. Never thought there are records Iīve must hear. Itīs great if you have heard all the rock classics (I really hope you have listened the Piper at the Gates Of Dawn). I am really glad there are still great records I havenīt heard before.

I LOVE Pussy Galore! I need all their material!

Youīre right, Finland is weird country. And I am weird guy.
Old 05.31.2015, 07:11 AM   #46768
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
What's the most famous Finnish band of all time?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2015, 07:29 AM   #46769
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
What's the most famous Finnish band of all time?
Very hard to say. If I say something, I think there will be someone with totally different opinion. Also there are any bands like Stones who has as long career although some bands have made reunions. If thinking worldwide I think it would be Nightwish or H.I.M. (donīt like both at all). I think some finns would say Eppu Normaali (very popular in the end of seventies, at the eighties and even nineties). But whatīs the best I say Wigwam. They were active 1969-1978, then made reunion in the nineties, made three albums in 2000`s. And last year become the only all-time member Jim Pembroke solo If the Rain comes which I think is not a bad album at all.
Old 05.31.2015, 08:16 AM   #46770
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i thought you were gonna say the leningrad cowboys ha ha ha ha

i love kaurismäki
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2015, 09:59 AM   #46771
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i thought you were gonna say the leningrad cowboys ha ha ha ha

i love kaurismäki
Nice to hear. Rocky VII (or whatever it is) is really great!
Old 05.31.2015, 11:48 AM   #46772
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
No. Black Flag is the only one I think Iīve heard a little. I donīt know why but Henry Rollins irritates me, specially in his solo career. Heīs of course great guy and has an attitude and blahblah. Anyway I am going to check also Black Flag, because Iīve got also wrong picture of Minutemen (just because I hadnīt heard those great first albums). I am really glad I have now five weeks Holiday, so time to listen all great music!

Wait, wait - remember that Black Flag existed for years before Rollins came on board, and that Greg Ginn was really the closest thing the band had to a consistent creative director.

So don't let your opinion of Henry Rollins form your opinion of Black Flag. Check out the Process of Weeding Out (instrumental album), and Nervous Breakdown (debut EP from '78 with Keith Morris of Circle Jerks handling vocal duties, years before Rollins started playing with the group a la Damaged.)

Really, I say Minutement were the ultimate hardcore band because of how immensely talented and influential they were. In many ways they were as singular and inimitable as Sonic Youth. But Black Flag were equally adventurous, with musical aspirations that went way beyond the restrictions of hardcore. They were challenging, and heavy, and eclectic, influenced by metal, jazz, punk and noise. They were so much more than just "That band Henry Rollins used to be in."

Dude, I hate to beat a dead horse here, but if you're really digging on Monutemen and want more "old" music to investigate, then reading Our Band Could Be Your Life might be just the thing for you. The book is fairly limited in scope because it only gives proper chapters to American bands, and focuses almost exclusively on their indie years, glossing over the successes some of the bands had after signing onto a major. But it will definitely give you reasons to check out these bands once you read about how into bands like CCR many of these groups were.
Old 05.31.2015, 12:03 PM   #46773
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccagotcursedout

Chalk it up to the limited exposure. I get it. I have friends from Japan, Bulgaria, Israel, Iran... most of them have similar things going on.

But I would like to know how those essential Dylan albums were missed. That's just weird.
Old 06.01.2015, 12:00 AM   #46774
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
But I would like to know how those essential Dylan albums were missed. That's just weird.
I already answered Rebecca about my musical relationship to Dylan, but if you arenīt read or understand it hereīs another reply. Of course I have seen Dylanīs Freewheelin already in the eighties in the shops in Finland and read about itīs importance to the popular music (also other Dylanīs albums). I donīt remember was it in my home villages library (Itīs possible it was, there were many great rock classics like Led Zeppelin I, Dark Side Of the Moon etc.) I think it was his nasal voice I didnīt like at all, so one my friend recommend me Desire (because heīs singing better in it). Now heīs voice sounds really great to me, I think he can express so much in it.

Itīs just I havenīt been interested in music that I donīt interest at the moment, not even GOD himself would have made it (well maybe even I in that case have so much curiosity that I have to listen it).

About that book you so many have recommend me, it seems it hasnīt translated to Finnish. I am very slow reader also in Finnish, so it will takes at least a year to read a book in English. BTW I am now reading first time in my life Kerouc On the road, the original version (maybe itīs the next thing you can wonder), after that I am going to read second time Burroughs Naked Lunch (read it I think almost twenty years ago).
Old 06.01.2015, 12:03 AM   #46775
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

About another great man, here in Finland was yesterday three hours radio program about John Fogerty (cause he had 70 years birthday party last week). It was so great to listen, when they played I put the Spell On you, I really got shivers!
Old 06.01.2015, 12:04 AM   #46776
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

And about great books, John Fogerty is going to publish a book about his life in autumn (hope it will come in Finnish too), Johnny Winter book is soon coming also in Finnish.
Old 06.01.2015, 12:18 AM   #46777
Blood_Promise
bad moon rising

Blood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's assesBlood_Promise kicks all y'all's asses

Blood_Promise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2015, 12:23 AM   #46778
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I think it was his nasal voice I didnīt like at all,

ha ha ha ha same exact thing here

im a non-native english speaker so he does very little for me

i understand his genius is his poetry or whatever but i'm like -- eh

i like his music much better when someone covers it -- like the rolling stones or cat power or nina simone or hendrix

except for mr tambourine man which is shit in all versions. oh and blowin in the fucking wind which is a catholic church song in spanish (i swear-- i fucking hate it--fucking singing priests ruined it for me)

great songwriter-- let someone else sing
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2015, 12:40 AM   #46779
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ha ha ha ha same exact thing here

im a non-native english speaker so he does very little for me

i understand his genius is his poetry or whatever but i'm like -- eh

i like his music much better when someone covers it -- like the rolling stones or cat power or nina simone or hendrix

except for mr tambourine man which is shit in all versions. oh and blowin in the fucking wind which is a catholic church song in spanish (i swear-- i fucking hate it--fucking singing priests ruined it for me)

great songwriter-- let someone else sing
Hendrix All Along is still better than Dylanīs! But I listened the original version some while ago (it was long time when I had heard it before, didnīt like it all) and I have to say it also hit me. I think the whole John Wesley Harding is one of his greatest albums and also the Basement Tapes from the same time (I have always loved the Band, so maybe thatīs one reason). I really love the Byrds Mr. Tambourine Man, but I have to admit the original version is better (it hits me too when I heard it long time ago last year, when I bought Bringing it all).

Hereīs one horrible Finnish version from Blowin in the wind (I think Iīve heard even more horrible, but maybe as a reason it wasnīt in YouTube):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX9jJVwxzbE

This is a great version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHAvr2oL1q4

Actually it is totally different song with also different Finnish lyrics, only the song title is same in Finnish, but they made an english version of it where are Dylanīs lyrics.
Old 06.01.2015, 01:03 PM   #46780
Severian
invito al cielo

Uhh ... yeah, I think it must be a language thing. Dylan's certainly not Celine Dion, but that's a good thing. His voice has an immediacy and honesty to it that really hits people hard. I have trouble listening to any of his early acoustic songs, because I have a hard time holding it together.

I think it's a bit like Kurt Cobain's singing in that sense. Surely there are a ton of people who think he couldn't sing for shit, and I can see why they might feel that way. But if he grabs you he grabs you hard, and the same is true of Dylan.

Hey, not everyone's lucky enough to be Billy Corgan. Am I right?
1839223922892329233623372338 2339 234023412342234923892439 > »
-->

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth