Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page asp's classic albums # 62: dead c - trapdoor fucking exit
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.28.2009, 04:22 AM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

DEAD C "TRAPDOOR FUCKING EXIT"
Stiltbreeze, 1990

One of those records where I don't actually know what to say about it. You just have to hear the damn thing. It's pretty far out, amazing stuff.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 04:51 AM   #2
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I've never listened to Trapdoor, but I did, many years ago, buy The White House, on the basis of having heard a lot of Gate stuff and liked it, but I absolutely hated it. It was just a noisy mess, no structure, no nothing, just noises. I think I went at them too soon in my musical development though. They're possibly something that you have to wean yourself onto. Or maybe "out" music has just taken a long time to catch up with them. But I find them a hell of a lot more listenable now. Still not something that I'd choose to listen to every day, but a lot easier to appreciate.

You need to have a Gate recording on your list, ASP. Either one of the table Of The Elements ones, or The Lavender Head.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 04:53 AM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I plan on doing "The Dew Line" one of these days actually!

Old 01.28.2009, 04:56 AM   #4
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
That's the grey one, isn't it? Excellent choice (I'm not so keen on the bronze one). But I'll wait until you start the thread before I say any more, don't want to hijack this one.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 05:00 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah that's the grey one. Haha. I only have wisher table, dewline, metric, and monolake currently. I really love 'em all though.

Old 01.28.2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
I've never listened to Trapdoor, but I did, many years ago, buy The White House, on the basis of having heard a lot of Gate stuff and liked it, but I absolutely hated it. It was just a noisy mess, no structure, no nothing, just noises. I think I went at them too soon in my musical development though. They're possibly something that you have to wean yourself onto. Or maybe "out" music has just taken a long time to catch up with them. But I find them a hell of a lot more listenable now. Still not something that I'd choose to listen to every day, but a lot easier to appreciate.

You need to have a Gate recording on your list, ASP. Either one of the table Of The Elements ones, or The Lavender Head.

Trapdoor is all songs, no improv like on The White House, my favourite Dead C song (Bitcher) is on The White House
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 10:08 AM   #7
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
^^^Is that the one on Side 2 of "The White House", followed by "Outside"? If so, then I'd agree about the greatness of that tune. I like the original version of "Helen Said This" on "Trapdoor....." (another version is on the Shock comp CD "World Peace Hope".
Old 01.28.2009, 01:23 PM   #8
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
^^^Is that the one on Side 2 of "The White House", followed by "Outside"? If so, then I'd agree about the greatness of that tune. I like the original version of "Helen Said This" on "Trapdoor....." (another version is on the Shock comp CD "World Peace Hope".

It's on the only side of the CD I have, it's the one with the really amazing drumming and it sounds like he's singing "my head's on a spike"
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 08:05 PM   #9
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
my second favorite dead c album, harsh 70s reality will always take the tea in my book. but yeah this album is so rad. the logical extension of faust and this heat but with so much volume. ive loved that band for a long time though, one of the first really far out and noisey bands ive heard, and they still floor me every time i hear their best albums despite being pretty well listened in the genre by now.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 09:10 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I almost put harsh 70s reality on here instead, but I dunno. Something about this album. Note to everyone that the cd reissue has bonus tracks on it!!

Old 01.29.2009, 12:38 AM   #11
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
If it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere here on the board I just found this recently

http://www.archive.org/details/deadc...660.aud.flac16

a pretty good live recording (for the Dead C. standards!) from the Empty Bottle in Chicago on Oct. 19th 2008. (FLAC and Mp3 formats)

Enjoy Peeps!

btw, been listening to alot of these guys lately I'm really tuned and turned on by their guitar sound, listening to Vain, Erudite & Stupid (Selected Works: 1987-2005) 2cd in my car for at least a week, eventhough i have most of this stuff on their respective albums... kinda suprised "sky" doesn't appear on that 'best of...' speaking of which there is this weird yet killer live version of sky on youtube from some new zealand television program.
any thoughts on their latest Secret Earth? i think its good, not great but better than Future Artists... Anybody have "New Electric Music" thats the one recording I'm missing of theirs I have most of the other stuff except those 7"s... oh and i just was listening to the new/old A Handful of Dust 2cd on No Fun... great heady stuff.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth