Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page RS Top 100 Guitarists
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.25.2011, 02:54 PM   #21
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
In my mind Sonic Youth will always be on the periphery of the mainstream. .

where is my mind?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2011, 10:00 AM   #22
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=An alternative industry the mainstream industry has scandalously been trying to suppress for decades.[/quote]

I'm not convinced this is true. How have they been trying to supress it? The way I see it, the listeners, not the industry, are the reason why bands like SY are not more popular. The industry you refer to is driven by profits, and if they could make more money selling bands like SY, then they would. Why would they suppress profit?

Consider SY specifically. Over the years, they have received coverage from MTV, the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Guitar World and Musician magazines, TV shows such as The Simpsons, Gossip Girl and Gilmore Girls and the movie Juno. All of that is what I would consider mainstream media. And despite all of that, they never even came close to a gold record, let alone platinum. Why? Because most people don't like their kind of music.

I've experienced this with friends and family. In many cases, they were curious to hear this "Sonic Youth" band that I was so passionate about. And in most cases, once they heard it, they didn't like it. I guess most people like simple music that they can dance to or hum along with or with simple lyrics telling a simple story. SY just isn't for everyone.
Old 11.26.2011, 10:01 AM   #23
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
That said, I fucking hate Eric Clapton and think his playing sucks sans a couple Cream + Mayall songs.

I think Clapton is so overrated. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see what makes him so great.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth