Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page whats with the disconnection notice video?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.30.2006, 11:12 AM   #21
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitLoop
Dude I haven't seen the video, but quite a few Dogma 95 films.... and I'm not a filmmaking student as well.... but the point of Dogma is/was to make filmmaking accessible to anyone, like in the good old days. that's the main pont, so it invoves as much pov as well as no doubles. soundtrack or whatever like that. I think no external lighting as well. Anyway just get stoned and watch "The Idiots" by Lars von Trier. you'll get what it's all about!!!!

sorry....not be a pedantic ass, but what good old days are we discussing when film making was accessible to anyone? (this is a seriously ironic post)
personally, re the video, i kind of like it.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2006, 08:24 PM   #22
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
I thought it was funny as hell
Old 08.13.2006, 03:43 AM   #23
Androol
the destroyed room

Androol kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's assesAndrool kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor dan
anyone else think its kinda stupid, and feels out of place on the dvd? not meaning to offend anyone who made it...

i thought it was fucking hysterical and i didnt think it felt out of place so much as it just stood out.
Androol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2006, 10:00 AM   #24
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
i like the video. i don't like the DOGMA rules at all. we are shooting a video ourselves, with my band, and i don't think many of those rules make any sense. like ten comandaments or something. screw that stuff.
Old 08.13.2006, 10:58 PM   #25
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
I thought the acting was kinda BLAH, but the story they're telling does kinda go with the song...

Does it seem to anyone else as if the woman is old enough to be the other guys' mother?
GeneticKiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2006, 12:19 AM   #26
TeamRamRod
little trouble girl

TeamRamRod ain't too shabby
It's funny but I don't really like it. Plus, can't Sonic Youth afford better than understudies from a high school play? Kind of reminds me of some Richard Kern movies, being artsy fartsy just to be artsy fartsy and look artsy fartsy. The whole thing looked like it was done by some pseudo artistic female who spends hundreds of dollars to look like she shops in thrift stores.
TeamRamRod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2006, 09:09 AM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
i like when the guy starts crying cuz he realized his girl fucked the bandmate and he gets all weepy and it is all over, their band is o ver. no more band, and the poor drummer driving, he is just stuck in the middle of it all. ha ha ha! great video. opbviously not meant to be a showcase for the song.

funny!
Old 08.14.2006, 02:17 PM   #28
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
The radio dial is on 99.1 if I remember right. I wonder if that is supposed to be HFS in Baltimore/DC.
Old 08.14.2006, 02:20 PM   #29
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i like the idea of the video, that this band are in their van driving somewhere and that they are having a conversation whilst listening to sonic youth, i just think the final video is kinda crap, the acting is terrible and the script sucks too.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2006, 03:28 PM   #30
Brett Robinson
bad moon rising

Brett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's asses
if i was so concerned about the music, i'd just listen to the fucking CD! the video is original and comical. good stuff!

as for the folk who said "get stoned and watch the idiots- you'll understand what it's about" all i have to say is: what, a movie about french people pretending to be retarded to have orgies with one another? at least julien donkey boy had werner herzog tapping his cig ashes into a robitussin bottle...
Brett Robinson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2006, 05:44 PM   #31
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
cool song tho.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2006, 08:08 AM   #32
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRamRod
Kind of reminds me of some Richard Kern movies, being artsy fartsy just to be artsy fartsy and look artsy fartsy.

You obviously don't understand Richard Kern's work!

Cinema of Transgression

The Cinema of Transgression is a term coined by Nick Zedd in 1985 to describe a New York City based underground film movement, consisting of a loose-knit group of like-minded artists using shock value and humor in their work. Key players in this movement were Nick Zedd, Kembra Pfahler, Jack Waters, Casandra Stark, Beth B, Tommy Turner, Richard Kern and Lydia Lunch, who in the late 1970s and mid 1980s began to make very low budget films using cheap 8 mm cameras.
An important essay outlining Zedd's philosophy on the Cinema of Transgression is the Cinema of Transgression Manifesto[1], published pseudonymously in the Underground Film Bulletin (1984-90).
Perhaps the most famous transgressive artist, Richard Kern, began making films in New York with actors Nick Zedd and Lung Leg. Some of them were videos for artists like the Butthole Surfers and Sonic Youth.

Precursors

The Cinema of Transgression shares a legacy with underground film-makers Jack Smith, Andy Warhol, John Waters and Kenneth Anger. It evolved directly out of the New Cinema or No Wave Film movement, which was related to, and the cinematic extension of, the then thriving New York Punk and No Wave musical movements. Often, although by no means exclusively, musicians of the period, including Arto Lindsay, Pat Place, Klaus Nomi, and Lydia Lunch, acted in these films.

No Wave Cinema

No Wave Cinema was a nearly nine year boom (1976-1985) in underground filmmaking on the Lower East Side neighborhood of New York City. Its name, much like its cousin No Wave music, was a stripped down style of guerilla/punk filmmaking that emphasized mood and texture above everything else. This brief movement, also known as New Cinema (after a short-lived screening room on St. Mark’s Place run by several filmmakers on the scene), had a significant impact on both underground film, spawning the Cinema of Transgression (Beth B, Richard Kern, Nick Zedd, Tessa Hughes Freeland and others) and a new generation of independent feature filmmaking in New York (Jim Jarmusch, Tom DiCillo, Steve Buscemi and Vincent Gallo), as well as the new movement of Remodernist film.
The filmmakers mainly associated with the movement included Amos Poe, Eric Mitchell, Beth B and Scott B, Vivienne Dick, John Lurie, Becky Johnston, and James Nares.

Artsy fartsy my ass!!
Old 08.15.2006, 08:23 AM   #33
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitLoop
the point of Dogma is/was to make filmmaking accessible to anyone, like in the good old days.

I don't know what you mean by accessible???
If you mean that everyone can make a Dogma 95, you're incorrect!

You can shoot on whatever format you want, but the final picture has to be transferred to Academy 35mm.
Not everyone can afford to use that format.

You can read more about the magic of Zentropa here.
Old 08.15.2006, 10:38 AM   #34
mooger_fooger
bad moon rising

mooger_fooger ain't too shabbymooger_fooger ain't too shabby
Personally...I felt it would have had much more effect had it been done in subtitles with the music over top, rather than 'hushing' the music, I mean...it IS a music video...but Sonic Youth isn't really reknown for their 'MTV-standard-format' videos...as Tamra Davis says they approach their video's like little movies or films...so as a short film to a Sonic Youth song, it's hep ass video, I like the concept, however the delivery isn't my cup of tea
mooger_fooger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2006, 10:52 AM   #35
DemonBox
the end of the ugly

DemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's assesDemonBox kicks all y'all's asses
I think the video is kinda funny, as a short movie, I find it hard to even call it a music video.
DemonBox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth