Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.05.2015, 01:02 PM   #7341
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
El Symbols, new book out I think you'd be really into. Das Reboot: How German Football Reinvented Itself and Conquered the World, by Raphael Honigstein. Title pretty much speaks for itself. Just heard an interview with the author and it seems to cover loads of stuff I think you're interested in. Honigstein is generally a v good writer.

Anyway, might be something you want to check out.

http://www.amazon.com/Das-Reboot-Ger.../dp/1568585306

Here's an extract of said book.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2015, 01:42 PM   #7342
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
So, inevitably I watched the San Marino 'match'. 6-0. Nothing learned but we've now qualified with a 100% record, so have to be congratulated for that, but we always do well at this stage. It's how we do against proper opposition that makes supporting England so frustrating/depressing.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2015, 02:38 AM   #7343
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
So, inevitably I watched the San Marino 'match'. 6-0. Nothing learned but we've now qualified with a 100% record, so have to be congratulated for that, but we always do well at this stage. It's how we do against proper opposition that makes supporting England so frustrating/depressing.

Agreed. I sat there thinking "why the hell am I watching this?". I suspect Hodgson and the team feel the same way. They did say after the match that they have friendlies lined up against Italy, Spain and Germany before the Euros start, so that'll be a better test.

Old 09.06.2015, 10:55 AM   #7344
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Short of us actually winning the Euros I think we have to replace Hodgson straight after. He's not done a bad job but we don't seem to be moving forward with him. He's keeping things steady, which was probably what we needed after the Capello fiasco, but I do think it's time to start thinking about bringing in someone new, with a bit more vision. I also think it might be time to start thinking beyond Rooney up front. And I say that as a Rooney fan.
Old 09.06.2015, 03:53 PM   #7345
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
from what i've read about why the prem is so great is also why the english national team sucks-- yes? the ease with which it poaches its targets makes any kind of long-term "farming" (or whatever you call it) a very low priority.

i don't think a shuffling in coaches is going to produce the consistent quality of players you'll need to win anything when you have structural conditions that doom you in such a way.

i forget what i was reading or when where it said that implementing some sort of german system would would require a lot more that just the willingness to do it.

and on that note, thanks h8kurdt for that link-- won't have a time to read it till a few days from now but yeah.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2015, 01:37 AM   #7346
demonrail666
invito al cielo

The problem definitely runs deeper than the coach but for all our problems we actually have quite a competitive team, capable of doing something in a tournament, without necessarily being able to win it. I just don't think Hodgson gets the best out of them.
Old 09.07.2015, 03:36 AM   #7347
a baby in 1980
bad moon rising

a baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
[...] we actually have quite a competitive team, capable of doing something in a tournament, without necessarily being able to win it. I just don't think Hodgson gets the best out of them.

Derailing somewhat, I think the same goes for Belgium's national team and their coach, Marc Wilmots. We were very lucky to qualify directly for the World Cup last year (people tend to not realize that here, it seems) In yesterday's game against Cyprus, they managed to scrape by a 0-1 victory (Hazard '86). Telling stat: first half possession: 48-52 %

I don't know how Phil Jackson fills his days, but he'd the first person I would contact for the job of national coach, if it were up to me. Who knows, he might just be up for the challenge...
a baby in 1980 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2015, 12:13 PM   #7348
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Don't know anything about what's going on behind the scenes at Belgium but their squad definitely makes me think they should be doing better.

The inevitable problem with talking about replacing Hodgson is identifying who should replace him.

Gary Neville seems popular with the bookies but hasn't had any real management experience and I suspect a lot of his popularity is based on the excellent job he does as a pundit. Plus his overt favouritism towards MU and dislike of Liverpool could be an issue if fans think his bias is affecting squad selection.

Pardew would be my choice but he has a habit of getting into trouble, and might think he has more to prove at club level before taking a job with the national side. Plus a lot of fans really can't stand him.
Old 09.10.2015, 11:03 AM   #7349
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Gary Neville seems popular with the bookies but hasn't had any real management experience and I suspect a lot of his popularity is based on the excellent job he does as a pundit.

Isnt that an orchestra conductor?

Wait-- Neville Marriner

Not the same lol

Anyway re: Belgium: a damn shame. Best generation of players ever wasted on what?
Old 09.10.2015, 11:15 AM   #7350
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
Belgium: a damn shame. Best generation of players ever wasted on what?

not just being a little englander here but wasted 'best generation ever'? How about ...

rio ferdinand, ashley cole, john terry, david beckham, frank lampard, paul scholes, steven gerrard, michael owen

how that team never got beyond a quarter final has to be one of football's great mysteries
Old 09.10.2015, 12:25 PM   #7351
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
not just being a little englander here but wasted 'best generation ever'? How about ...

rio ferdinand, ashley cole, john terry, david beckham, frank lampard, paul scholes, steven gerrard, michael owen

how that team never got beyond a quarter final has to be one of football's great mysteries

Gonna have to agree with you that one.

Old 09.10.2015, 12:40 PM   #7352
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

oh, those... i don't know.

who did you have as keeper? anyone courtois-like?

but anyway, belgium-- a massive disappointment for me at the last world cup. if they don't do something significant at the euros wilmots should be sliced and deep-fried and served with mayo. jeez. get an argentinian coach or something.
Old 09.10.2015, 01:38 PM   #7353
demonrail666
invito al cielo

At his peak, England's David Seaman was probably only behind Oliver Khan, Peter Schmeichel and Buffon at his peak. So not the best in the world but then nor is Courtois.
Old 09.10.2015, 01:46 PM   #7354
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
At his peak, England's David Seaman was probably only behind Oliver Khan, Peter Schmeichel and Buffon at his peak. So not the best in the world but then nor is Courtois.

So you dont see courtois going head to head vs neuer for top keeper? I recall him as near superhuman. Has he been fucking up lately?
Old 09.10.2015, 02:21 PM   #7355
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Age difference suggests he'll eclipse Neuer sooner rather than later but of this upcoming generation I'd personally say De Gea has the edge over Courtois right now. Although long term I can see Courtois being number 1. Not that I think having the worlds best goalkeeper is that crucial to winning a tournament. It certainly helped Germany but I can think of a lot of winners who've done it with average at best goalies. Belgiums strength is their overall quality in all positions.
Old 09.10.2015, 03:01 PM   #7356
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Age difference suggests he'll eclipse Neuer sooner rather than later but of this upcoming generation I'd personally say De Gea has the edge over Courtois right now. Although long term I can see Courtois being number 1. Not that I think having the worlds best goalkeeper is that crucial to winning a tournament. It certainly helped Germany but I can think of a lot of winners who've done it with average at best goalies. Belgiums strength is their overall quality in all positions.

NOW I'm gonna have to disagree with you. De Gea for me is one that leaves me puzzled. So everyone bangs on about he did this dramatic save, then this one and then did a backflip just to get a fingertip on a ball. That's all well and good, but why do you never hear about Courtois doing that? Positioning. The only reason De Gea is having to do all this stuff is cos his positioning is out. Sure he gets a kudos for making the saves, but he's not the star for me.

Courtois, on the other hand, knows where he needs to be when and were and makes his job easier for himself.

And whilst we're on the subject. You can have the greatest keeper in the world who can make save after save, but it comes to naught if the defence is shit. The goalie having to make a save is meant to be last resort not something to rely on. All the great squads in history had a defence that did their job and did it right. A.C Milan (2002 era). France (1998-Desilly and Blanc Muh dick), Arsenal (2001 season! Marone) Brazil (2014)...well maybe not them. You get the idea.

How often have we seen decent keepers who have let goal after goal in? Not because of something they failed to do but because they've been broken down after repeated attempts on goal. Tim Howard (last season especially), Robert Enke (surely one of the biggest examples of a great keeper at an average team) and Shay Given are only some examples. Look at Ochoa's performance for Mexico last year. He did great, but eventually he was beaten by one too many chances.

Aaaaannnnddd breathe.

Old 09.10.2015, 03:32 PM   #7357
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Agree with your general point. Not sure I agree that De Gea's positioning is bad though, not any more anyway. He had to do a lot more than Courtois last season cos MU's defence was awful and Chelsea's was excellent but we've seen that when Chelsea's defence is below par, Courtois can really struggle. Behind equally strong defences, Courtois is probably the more reliable, but if a defence is struggling, I'd take De Gea.
Old 09.12.2015, 08:46 AM   #7358
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Great win for everton. Can't wait for Mourinho's post match interview. I like everton and can't stand Chelsea so the perfect start to the weekend for me.

stones was brilliant. All the headlines will be about Naismith (and Chelsea's ongoing implosion) but Stones looked pure class.
Old 09.12.2015, 08:56 AM   #7359
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Great win for everton. Can't wait for Mourinho's post match interview. I like everton and can't stand Chelsea so the perfect start to the weekend for me.

stones was brilliant. All the headlines will be about Naismith (and Chelsea's ongoing implosion) but Stones looked pure class.

There you. The single greatest prediction made this side of Nostradamus. If I'd put just one pound on...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Naismith.jpg (56.1 KB, 3 views)

Old 09.12.2015, 08:58 AM   #7360
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Just 1 measley pound...

318358365366367 368 369370371378418468 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth