Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Looking your part.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.16.2009, 02:22 PM   #1
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Many music genres have their look so to speak and to some extent I respect and tolerate it. I'm no fashion nazi, and in fact I like it, but some kids I believe go way too far with looking their "scene". Mainly talking about the whole Emo/Scream/ and whatever else they call their shit music. It leads me to believe that sometimes they listen to the music mainly to involve themselves in that fashion. I don't think I'd ever mutilate myself with more than 3 piercings on my face alone. I don't know, it was just something that was bugging me right now.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 02:50 PM   #2
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I completly agree, and I don't think it's only fashion that is involved. A kid I know got mad at me because I dared to speak against the movie Twilight. I mean, he was mad. I told him that you can tell a lot about the role something like that plays in their life - be it music, movies, whatever - by the way they defend it. If he were to say, "You don't know what you are talking about. You never saw it; that movie was great, and here's why: (insert reasonable points)," then that simply means that he lifes that sort of thing, and therefore enjoyed the movie. But by pushing me out the door and saying "You spoke against Twilight!" (and, by the way, he did actually say that; I'm not exaggerating), then he has taken it to a whole new level to where now his style of living is dependant on these sorts of movies.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 03:11 PM   #3
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
People who get mad at stuff like that have issues, but I have no problem with scene fashion. It's just an attempt to be who you want to be. It's not so much an attempt to be unique or cool as it is to be honest. To an extent, it takes guts to dress emo. I don't buy into a fashion in particular, but I can completely understand the desire to dress a certain way.

Of course, some people do it just to be "accepted," but that's not always the case.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I have a problem with gauged ears and tongues piercings. Outside of those, make an ass of yourself and I cannot be bothered to care.
Old 01.16.2009, 03:25 PM   #5
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
To an extent, it takes guts to dress emo.

Of course, some people do it just to be "accepted," but that's not always the case.

I feel the opposite. I feel that it takes more guts not to buy into a scene. I mean, I know these kids say they are just being themselves, but I have a hard time swallowing that explaination when they go to Cosmic or Hot Topic and buy their clothes and all comb their hair the same way. Is it possible that they all happen to be the same on the inside, so that only by coincidence do they all have the same exterior appearance with their efforts to express themselves? Yes; but it's very unlikely.

Now, of course, and I will conflict my own words here, but only to express the fact that I'm not blindly convinced by what I say and I am reasonable in my explaination of things, that we are all victims of this. We could really examine ourselves and ask if we would do any of the things we do and wear any of the clothes we wear if it were not due to some outside influence. And sure, we are all succeptable to this and you can argue all day about whether or not this is a good thing. But I feel that when you have fooled yourself into believing that you are so different than everyone else, when in reality, you have only chosen to conform to a different style and standard than what you feel is most common, then you have an issue that goes beyond simply caving to what is popular.
Old 01.16.2009, 03:35 PM   #6
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
When I was a teen, I used to have a "grunge" look, and I was quite upset about the fact that human beings should dress/look the same way ( ie, a normal way ).

Now I look super-normal, and sometimes I'm annoyed when i see people with an excentric look ( at best, i don't care ).

ps: what about Twilight?
is it good?
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 03:54 PM   #7
afterthefact
invito al cielo

I don't know anything about Twilight except for the fact that it's a teen drama about vampires. I would imagine it's no good, but I can't say because I haven't seen it; I only said it sucked to that kid because I knew it would piss him off.
Old 01.16.2009, 04:08 PM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Shrug.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:44 PM   #9
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Who cares how people dress. It takes more guts to dress like a hobo than anything else.
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 04:57 PM   #10
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
This has been the problem for so long man, it sucks but I spose as long as 12 year old girls are buying it, it's going to continue.
Old 01.16.2009, 05:13 PM   #11
afterthefact
invito al cielo

I don't see it as a problem in relation to society, as many people do, but it could be a problem for that individual, based on, as stated before, their motivation for doing so. If they truly are expressing themselves, or if they are just doing it because it's something to do and they just want to be cool (because, come on, who doesn't want to be cool, right?), then that is fine. But if they are doing it out of low self esteem and feelings of low worth, and they need that in order to feel in anyway normal, then while it may be a quick fix, it doesn't solve the problem.
Old 01.16.2009, 05:18 PM   #12
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
But I feel that when you have fooled yourself into believing that you are so different than everyone else, when in reality, you have only chosen to conform to a different style and standard than what you feel is most common, then you have an issue that goes beyond simply caving to what is popular.
I do agree with this. The danger is when you dress for any reason other than just wanting to dress that way. When it becomes a burden for the person, a struggle to "be different" or the same, then it's wrong.

The key is to not fall into the trap of either trying to dress ______ or even, and sometimes especially, not trying to. I love the "grunge style," but that categorization just happens to coincide with what I like. In fact, I didn't even like the style until I stopped listening to grunge. Still, I sometimes find myself trying to get distance from it, like not buying something I actually want because it's "too grunge," which is really stupid. For that reason, I give people the benefit of the doubt that they just like what they wear.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 05:23 PM   #13
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
^^Afterthefact.

I don't think it needs to solve any problems. Most problems people suffer at that age are specific to their age and as such they soon drop off, as does the need to dress like a cenobite, listen to Dark Tranquility albums and wank yourself silly to pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar. The full sized back tattoo of Brandon Lee might prove more of an obstacle though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 05:26 PM   #14
afterthefact
invito al cielo

I can see what you mean, although your Sarah Michelle Gellar and Brandon Lee references are about 10 years too late
Old 01.16.2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
You forgot the White Lightening (wisely).

[Herr Rail]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 05:28 PM   #16
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
your Sarah Michelle Gellar and Brandon Lee references are about 10 years too late

Story of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
You forgot the White Lightening (wisely).

[Herr Rail]

Am I the only one to have noticed that White Lightning tastes like tinned tuna?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2009, 05:32 PM   #17
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Interesting story - a friend of mine's mum used to work at one of the factories that made white lightening (and the like), and we used to get the cider that wasn't fit for sale (so this is White Lightening that they legally weren't allowed to sell). I'm not a fan of cider these days, and that would've been the case whether or not I'd seen someone vomit blood because of it.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.16.2009, 05:33 PM   #18
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
White Lightning?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PODFOF8rmSE
Old 01.16.2009, 05:38 PM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37

It's perfectly vile, and you're lucky not to know it.

Quote:
Old 01.16.2009, 05:40 PM   #20
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
I make sure my arms are folded and I look uninterested at every show I go to so that everyone there knows I'm unimpressed by the pedestrian quality on stage.
vulva is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth