Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page let's talk about steve
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.05.2007, 09:27 AM   #41
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
try hanging a picture straight without nails........

try sonic youth without double s beat attack

nuff said
Old 11.05.2007, 01:41 PM   #42
to.w
children of satan

to.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's asses
Very few drummers have become legends, in facts they're only two : Max Roach and Steve Shelley...

myhand.thanx records
to.w is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2007, 01:45 PM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by suez
i know it's strange but... sometimes i think steve is too mediocre, i mean his work in sy. thurston, lee, kim are all looking for some more experimental sound but steve just seems to act someone out of them.

i don't know.

what you have to understand is that when you write experimental ROCK music you have to have a fucking great drummer to pull everything together cohesively, and to do it outstandingly, which steve shelley does. he is a fucking awesome drummer, and noone else could fill his sonic shoes
Old 11.05.2007, 03:31 PM   #44
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Steve is probably the best rock drummer around the world. And he's my fave drummer for sure. If you can't relate to my words, I wonder why do you listen to SY in the first time?

he's amazing and his skills can't be touched. and he's a wonderful person.

Yes, he's the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
Steve is fantastic. I felt so connected to him during the Pitchfork Daydream show. He was just on point... delivered the goods. I think Jenn talked about how he held together songs that might have fallen apart like "Total Trash". I generally watch him and Thurston equally during a show because they interest me the most.

Pitchfork Fest is the best performance of Daydream Nation so far, in my opinion. (I haven't listened to that second Roundhouse show yet.) Lots of nice comments in the thread; I like jennthebenn's post too.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2007, 03:50 PM   #45
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Steve Shelley, mediocre? No seriously, listen to Theresa's Sound-world (for instance), then you'll come. Steve isn't the best drummer technically speaking, but he totally ROCKS because he's really not just the rythm... there's much more in his game, in my opinion.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2007, 08:56 PM   #46
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
this is the dumbest thread ever.

steve has one of the most distinctive drumming styles of any drummer. you can tell a sonic youth song by whatever technique it is that he uses (i'm not a drummer, but i can tell his sound.)

aside from the fact that, as everyone has previously stated, he IS one of the nicest people in the entire world, why anyone would criticize him for essentially not being "cool enough" to be in the band is beyond me. if you're not at band practice or a part of the creative process yourself, you have no idea what he brings to the table in those terms. i could personally give a shit whether he's "experimental" enough of a human being or musician. if lee, kim and thurston didn't think he added something, he wouldn't be in the band.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2007, 09:00 PM   #47
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
i heard steve has a skin disorder where his feet are no longer covered in skin, but scales.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2007, 10:26 PM   #48
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
I've had the pleasure to meet Steve a few times before shows, and he's always been really friendly and warm. Less importantly, I think he's an excellent drummer.

Actually, I prefer to call people who play drums "drummists."
Old 11.20.2007, 11:04 PM   #49
plastic sun
little trouble girl

plastic sun has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
very nice.
all i know is that he is the greatest drummer of all time, and he doesn't wear a watch.

plastic sun is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2007, 11:51 PM   #50
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
question: how do you keep up with time without a watch?

answer: you are steve shelley!
Old 11.21.2007, 12:12 AM   #51
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
you are wrong. there could be no sonic youth with out steve, just listen to sonic death to prove it. further, without steve to organize the chaos, there would just be annoying guitar noises all the time, no music to speak of.. just my opinion.

also, steve is the only genuinely kind hearted person in the whole group. For that reason alone, he gets my praise, for kindness is more important than skill.

Yeah, I agree. He holds it down. Had it been anyone els, their sound would be far too unorganized. Of course (this is beyond obvious), it would not be Sonic Youth.
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 01:06 AM   #52
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
Actually, I prefer to call people who play drums "drummists."

Actually, I prefer to call people who play drums percussionists.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 04:50 AM   #53
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
He discovered and was the first to record Chan Marshall. Not only that, but was actually a member of Cat Power for the first 3 albums.

That alone earns him my love (SY aside).
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 09:07 AM   #54
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
He discovered and was the first to record Chan Marshall. Not only that, but was actually a member of Cat Power for the first 3 albums.

That alone earns him my love (SY aside).

That's just my opinion but I don't think Cat Power are that important.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2007, 09:42 AM   #55
adjectives-ex
bad moon rising

adjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's asses
there is a reason why he plays for them, though. they wanted him to play for them and they were one of his favorite bands.

for his drumming mad skills- listen to the beat on Nevermind (What was it Anyway). synchronicity that i was listening to it when i saw this thread and this song has some of my favourite drum sounds of all time on it.

s.
adjectives-ex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2008, 10:38 AM   #56
spekkie
empty page

spekkie has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i think Steve's a great drummer, & so do a lot of other people apparently. He's awesome... and he's seemingly a really sweet guy as well. What more could anyone ask for???

When I took a friend to see them a few years ago in Newtown, he thought the best thing about them was Steve ("He's a bloody good drummer!") but he felt that the others were just going through the motions.
spekkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2008, 10:59 AM   #57
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
he's definitely an awesome drummer. you should listen to his drums on Non Site #3 on Lee's Amarillo Ramp. its very unique to me and it definitely fucking grounded Lee and Thurston's guitar feedback spiel. i was listening to it the other day and was just surprised by it. and it was all improv if i remember.

i met the guy in hoboken at one of thurston's show. great guy. very friendly. im just glad i told him that im a HUGE fucking fan. not of sonic youth but of steve shelley.
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2008, 04:19 PM   #58
Pessimist
little trouble girl

Pessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's asses
I love that quick break he gets in Pipeline/ Kill Time.
Old 04.22.2008, 10:21 PM   #59
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
I can't think of too many other major rock musicians who have been around so long and yet have so little known and confirmed about their personal life! I mean, someone mentioned seeing him with a woman; I remember back in the '80s and early to mid '90s, it was almost automatically assumed by every fan I met that he was gay!
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2008, 01:14 AM   #60
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
^ I wish.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth