Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Protestant, Catholic or Orthodox?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.29.2009, 11:23 AM   #81
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
"christian" does NOT mean you believe in god.

It means you believe, SPECIFICALLY, that Jesus Christ was the one and only incarnate Son of God, that he was God made man here on Earth, and that his "sacrifice" redeemed all humans from all sins from the beginning of time to the end of time.

very different than believeing in "GOD"

how the hell can you believe in a Son of God without believing in God to begin with???

crunch yr numbers again, sparky!
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 12:11 PM   #82
looking glass spectacle
100%

looking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asseslooking glass spectacle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
raised catholic, apostate since age 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i'm catholic but agnostic now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Not a Christian anymore, but I was raised Catholic with a hint of Pentecostal from my father. Speaking in tongues...what phooey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
My family, like most Mexican families, is Catholic. I however am agnostic because well.....I don't really have an opinion on Religion.

i was raised catholic and now i am extremely suspicious of organized religion.

this seems to be a common phenomenon; i have to wonder if there is a causal link...

looking glass spectacle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 12:18 PM   #83
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
how the hell can you believe in a Son of God without believing in God to begin with???

describing the definition of christians does not in any way imply that the person doing the describing buys into it man. jeez, oklahoma really fucked you up man. wher did I say I was describing my personal beliefs?

I, and anyone in fact, can discourse on any topic, be it satanism, leprechauns, marxism, etc, and it does not mean they BELIEVE IT.
Old 12.29.2009, 12:44 PM   #84
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking glass spectacle
i have to wonder if there is a causal link...

No but there is a casual one.

(Had this big problem in Philosophy class--kept reading causal as casual)
Old 12.29.2009, 12:45 PM   #85
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Your logic is maddening at times Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 12:46 PM   #86
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
I was all set to write this highly intelligent all encompassing reply than I remember the topic was religion....At least Budda promises me rewards here and now
Old 12.29.2009, 12:51 PM   #87
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
"christian" does NOT mean you believe in god.

It means you believe, SPECIFICALLY, that Jesus Christ was the one and only incarnate Son of God, that he was God made man here on Earth, and that his "sacrifice" redeemed all humans from all sins from the beginning of time to the end of time.

very different than believeing in "GOD"

Rob, you might want to file this in your 'the decade started in 2001" file. You'd have to explain how someone could believe Jesus was the son of "god" but not believe in "god". I don't see you did it above.

Personally, I'm finding the Nestorians to be very compelling - Jesus and Christ are separate - Christ was actually an 'angel' that took over Jesus' body - and the way it was absolutely suppressed by the elites tells me it must have some substance.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 12:58 PM   #88
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I was replying to THIS -> "Also, I like the fact that many religions are truly Christian (i.e. believe in God). " -artsygrrl
Old 12.29.2009, 01:06 PM   #89
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I was replying to THIS -> "Also, I like the fact that many religions are truly Christian (i.e. believe in God). " -artsygrrl
What you were trying to say is that Christianity is not quite commensurable with a broader notion of 'God' in other religions because of the fact of the revelation of Christ; what you actually said was convoluted and wrong.

I say 'fact' within the context of Christianity. The empirical notion of 'fact' is slightly different, though I'd argue not incommensurable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 01:09 PM   #90
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

gots to believe in jeezy creezy to be xian.
Old 12.29.2009, 01:14 PM   #91
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

and glice, everythig I said was absolutely dead on CORRECT

go re-learn yr theology.
Old 12.29.2009, 01:16 PM   #92
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

gotcha, missed that, in this case yeah I see what you're saying.

When are we just gonna say, yeah if you want to believe in the tooth fairy thats great but keep your fantasies in your home and stop inflicting them on us.

if I assert JFK was killed by someone other than Oswald I get called a 'conspiracy theorist" but if I make up a fantasy of an all powerful one who sees and knows everything then I'm considered normal and psychologically healthy. Humans are stupid fearful meat.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 02:39 PM   #93
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
I just don't understand how someone thinks unified christianity would improve the world in any sense. Wasn't it a bit worse and more intolerant before?

I can't stop thinking that religion should be a private thing. I don't see the point of preaching it to someone who's not really asking for it. (I am not talking about anyone here).

If you really wanna improve the world, stop mixing religious bias with politics and laws, that's gonna be work for generations anyway.
THANK YOU KNOX. Religious beliefs SHOULD be a very private matter, which is what I should have remembered before I responded to this thread.
Let me clarify my thoughts and responses:
From my personally damaging years in a Catholic school, I say once a Catholic, always a Catholic (the guilt part). I have listened to my parish priest deliver sermons about how fortunate we are to be Catholic because Catholics are the "true" believers in Jesus, God, whatever (believing in God "the most" part). Then.....haha, his holiness calls me into his office the next day to ram his tongue down my throat (I'm 9 years old, btw).
And do I believe in "God"? You fucking bet I do...in this way..."Bow down before the one you serve. You're going to get what you deserve."
I don't hate Catholics per se, but I hate the control, the hypocrisy, this facade of virtue. I am jaded and suspicious of most any religion. And I truly apologize to those Catholics who are kind, true, and genuine.
My response regarding other religions was naive because I really don't know much about ANY other religion. But I DO want desperately to embrace a faith, any faith, that will pull me away from hate and fear. As I mentioned in a much earlier thread, all I really want is peace of mind.
Lastly, I have to say that atheism is not for me. I know that if I did not believe in "God", I would believe in some higher power, even if it was an oak tree.
So I hope this helps explain what I said and why. No apologies from me, just clarifiication.
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 02:55 PM   #94
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Somethings worry me. Like in the US, the use of public funds in many schools to preach virginity disguised as "sex education". Like the fact I can easily watch many evangelical channels on cable blatantly preaching against other churches, religions, sexual orientations. Preaching hatred on TV.

These new "evangelical" branches operate exactly like corporations and preach superficiality, greed and consumerism. I am not saying they should not exist, I am saying their leaders should respond for tax evasion, extorsion and whatever it is that they do financially, and perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to get billboards, tv channels and newspapers. Blantantly or not, a lot of media is entangled with this and belongs to them.

Their rising today represents more of a social virus than the Catholic church. A lot of our achievements in civil rights, against homophobia, bigotry, racism and sexism are being fought against by this new rising bigot youth, I find that really worrying.

Organised religion, as any powerful institution, is a a perfect environment for corrupt, sociopathic and greedy human beings, one must keep that in mind, they'll be everywhere. It's not religion itself that sucks, it's the fact that humans use it for their own agenda.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 03:01 PM   #95
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
All this talk of religion reminded me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7i01...eature=related
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 04:27 PM   #96
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsygrrl
Buddhism sounds peaceful and genuine. The Jewish faith sounds pretty cool also.

Buddhism is deep and benneficial in the way it increases your spiritual vocabulary and works to shatter the self-serving ego..

In regards to Judaism, it is not a bad gig, but it will have a bunch of guilt trip shit attached to it, that whole what would Moses do? Well there are literally hundreds and hundreds of things on the list of what wouldn't he do, can make things a bit strenuous. A lot of Christians from protestant background convert for liturgical purposes, as there are no liturgical or sung prayers in the protestant traditions. Of course, I went Orthodox for the exact same reason, because prayer is meant to be sung. In singing prayer, you shut off the chatter and dialogue of the mind, and have a kind of serene and fulfilling silence of the mind and heart in unison. Hence why chanting is the basis of nearly all but Protestant religions.. It is a shame that the songs of protestants are so honestly lame and intrinsically unmoving

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprodr
apparently, there are some 'christians' who think that catholics aren't christians. How fucked up is that?

George fucking bush is the worst christian on the planet

Yes, yes and fuck yes! For many Christians in fact, Catholics are not Christians at all, but some kind of paganistic devil worshippers. Many protesants/pentecostals are literally afraid of priests, incense, the Virgin Mary, iconography and even chanting! it is a trip..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
My father was raised Catholic, my mother was raised Lutheran.

My parents pretty much raised me to be Christian, but not in line with any church. I have a rather negative outlook on churches because they all seemed to be preaching a distorted Christ. I've always thought of Christ as tolerant, loving, and ultimately forgiving, but in every church I've seen lack of tolerance, hatred, judging, and damnation. But I think that might not just be the church, I think that might just be fucking humankind in general.

thank you, that was remarkably insightful and one of the highlights of this thread and very much an elaboration on the point I have been discussing with knox regarding unity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Roman Catholic, although all my family is perfectly atheist.
I don't even remember now how I turned up to have a faith.

That is the best and most authentic faith, that somes spontaneously.
Quote:
I just don't understand how someone thinks unified christianity would improve the world in any sense. Wasn't it a bit worse and more intolerant before?

I can't stop thinking that religion should be a private thing. I don't see the point of preaching it to someone who's not really asking for it. (I am not talking about anyone here).

If you really wanna improve the world, stop mixing religious bias with politics and laws, that's gonna be work for generations anyway.

We are arguing for the exact same things. I am talking about Christianity abandoning politics and law, I am hoping for Christians to work together as equals, not to promote the spread or advancement of Christianity, rather to stop the fragmentation and destruction of our human communities.. When Christians are divided, there is a lot of problems.. look at all the history of war and politics between rival Christian communities? So much horror because people who should have gotten along do not. The point of religion knox is to supercede politics, to supercede prejudice.. You misunderstand me to want the way current Christianity exists to spread.. no no no.. I want current Christians to open their minds and hearts, to escape the shackles of ignorance, intolerance and apathy.. to become truly equal and heartful human beings, and in doing so, maybe they wont go around exploiting the world for profit or killing strangers out of mistaken ideology?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 04:46 PM   #97
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Right. I just don't understand why you seem to want an unified form of christianity. I don't think that would make it more tolerant, possibly the opposite towards non-christians?

As for history, all groups of people have attacked and killed each other based on many things, mostly just for being different. That is not going to change by uniting people through religion.

People have to learn democracy and tolerance by law and education and keep religion as something private to be respected.

I understand your good intentions in what you're saying, but your speech has some contradictions, I can't help myself.

Basically, I sense you're saying that you wish christianity would be the main religion in the world. Regardless of what form of christianity - unified or not, peaceful or not - that is still a bias intolerant wish to interfere with personal freedom? No matter how good the intentions are.

Anyway, what I am really saying is that I don't think it is christianity that has to change or get unified. I think people should start paying less attention to religion on a social scale, learn how to separate political and religious thinking for the greater good, and exercise their religious beliefs in a more private sphere.

Old 12.29.2009, 04:50 PM   #98
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Right. I just don't understand why you seem to want an unified form of christianity. I don't think that would make it more tolerant, possibly the opposite towards non-christians?

As for history, all groups of people have attacked and killed each other based on many things, mostly just being different. That is not going to change by uniting people through religion.

People have to learn democracy and tolerance by law and education and keep religion as something private to be respected.

I understand your good intentions in what you're saying, but your speech has some contradictions, I can't help myself.

whoa whoa whoa.. who said anything about a unified form of Christianity? That would simply be another denomination which in time, would splinter away as the others.. I simply want Christians to stop all the in-fighting and inter-christian prejudice.. I understand your point entirely, and I agree with you largely in this regard. But in general, I promote tolerance, empathy and mutual understanding amongst ALL humans, but Christians especially, after all, these very principles are supposed to be the foundation of Christianity or any religion in the first place

religion can remain private as you say, but in people's private minds they should be wary of harboring prejudice, bigotry and ignorance in the name of so-called piety or religion.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 04:59 PM   #99
knox
invito al cielo

Well, I got used to it. Many times at work or in school you will talk to hardcore christians and they will smile and talk to you and offer you a cookie, but deep down they are thinking you will go to hell. And they want you to. After all, they work so hard not to sin and you're a sinner, it would be unfair of their God to save me. So they think of me going to hell with a faint sense of pleasure while they offer me a cookie. It's fascinating to watch.

I don't care if they think I am going to hell, as long as they aren't trying to take rights away from me.

They can fight and disagree as much as they want. It only bothers me when they want to mess with everybody's lives and get their beliefs in laws, or going to bother women who just had abortions just outside their houses and all that horrible crap.

Old 12.29.2009, 05:04 PM   #100
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly

No Rob is right.

That's what seperates old testament jews and new testement bible thumpers, Floating....

Two religions, same "God".
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth