Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Spiritualized - Songs in A & E
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.11.2008, 03:12 PM   #21
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
jason pierce is the most boring lyricist of all time, he has a vocabulary of about 30 or 40 words that he just rearranges into as many combinations as he can think of, and then starts again at the begining

I see what you mean in the sense that 3 of the first 5 or so songs on the new one are called " 'x'...on fire". But ive always felt the lyrics were a secondary concern, i often dont care what the lyrics to a song are if its a good enough song.

I like the album from listening to it a couple of times but ive not really made up my mind, i shelled out an extra £5 (which i cant really afford to do at the min) for the "special edition" and it really wasnt worth it.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2008, 03:22 PM   #22
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
jason pierce is the most boring lyricist of all time, he has a vocabulary of about 30 or 40 words that he just rearranges into as many combinations as he can think of, and then starts again at the begining
didnt you say you like spacemen 3 earlier?
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2008, 08:10 AM   #23
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Until recently I've only been familiar with Ladies and Gentleman. I just got some of their other stuff and I have to say their other stuff is pretty disappointing. That version of Lord Can You Hear Me When I Call? on Let it Come Down is fucking awful.

I haven't listened to too much of Songs in A&E yet.

ladies and gentlemen
electric mainline
live at albert hall
lazer guided melodies
songs in a & e

everything else...

in that order....
Old 06.12.2008, 08:32 AM   #24
Semperet
little trouble girl

Semperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard sucka
Saw them live about three weeks ago and musically the band were stronger than the Albert Hall album which I love. Lots of noisy meltdowns, couple of backing singers handling the gospel stuff and Jason with his huge shades, not moving a muscle more than was necessary to play the stuff. Great first twenty mins, quite dull middle and a last 40 mins which envied many gigs I've been to in quite some while. Stunning version of Take Your Time, lovely Think I'm In Love, Come Together, nice Let It Flow.
But they didn't do Cop Shoot Cop. Blues for me.
The new stuff (haven't heard the album) sounded like most of the older stuff but much more focused and tight, especially when compared to Amazing Grace. There were people in the audience crying during Lord Can You Hear Me?
I didn't think it was that bad.
I'll get the album when it's cheaper. What can he do, as Yeats asked, but enumerate old themes?
Semperet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2008, 04:48 PM   #25
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them for the first time on letterman and really enjoyed it. Songs in A and E was my first exposure and i loved it. Its a perfect late night record. wish i knew about it earlier so i could have seen them live.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2008, 05:14 PM   #26
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Saw them last week and they were fucking amazing, far better than I was expecting (and I've seen 'em at least 4 or 5 times previously).
As Semperet said above, the last third or so of the set was one of the greatest things I've seen all year. I honestly thought there was no way they could follow up the massive fuck-off finale to Come Together so was all set to leave, only for them to come back on for the most beautiful version of Lord Can You Hear Me I've ever heard. And to think I nearly didn't bother going...
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 08:32 PM   #27
Kallisti23chaos
children of satan

Kallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's assesKallisti23chaos kicks all y'all's asses
i was way disappointed in a&e, although i saw them this summer and it was good times.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth