Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Post-Sonic youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.19.2008, 05:29 PM   #1
sarramkrop

Did anything happen in terms of ambition that beat SY? Just curious, cause I think it hasn't. I don't listen to them much anymore, yet I listen to loads of bands/musicians they influenced in one way or another, but seem to lack the same sort of ambition they have.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2008, 05:33 PM   #2
al shabbray

I think not. I asked that myself the last time after reading "goodbye 20th century" book.
but its one of the reason why I like them so much. and maybe its a reason that they still exist as a band too.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2008, 06:00 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
thinking fellers union local # 282 probably come the closest.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2008, 06:01 PM   #4
sarramkrop

Maybe there are other reasons beyond that. I have been listening listening to so much Los Llamarada recently I think they could be possible heirs, even though it's way too difficult to tell. All I know is that they create the same sort cathartic climate I don't seem to get from other bands. Ambition-wise I wouldn't know, that's up to the individuals in the band, I suppose.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2008, 06:02 PM   #5
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
FUCK NO.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2008, 06:03 PM   #6
sarramkrop

you do, though.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2008, 06:03 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hah.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2008, 06:06 PM   #8
sarramkrop

Also, let's keep this discussion to rock bands, if we can. There are people out there who make more ambitious music than SY in other 'fields'.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2008, 07:50 PM   #9
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Do they sponser Scissor Shock or something?
Old 12.19.2008, 08:34 PM   #10
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
well, Queens of the Stone Age. they know what they are doing.
Old 12.19.2008, 08:50 PM   #11
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Polvo moreso than the Thinking Fellers imo.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2008, 04:42 AM   #12
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Did anything happen in terms of ambition that beat SY? Just curious, cause I think it hasn't. I don't listen to them much anymore, yet I listen to loads of bands/musicians they influenced in one way or another, but seem to lack the same sort of ambition they have.
i've already found ùyselmf wondering about the same sort of existential questions. Will I ever stumble upon a band or artist with such a broad and consistent back catalogue? the answer so far is no.
I'm not too sure about ambition but as Al said reading the fantastic biog that i literally SWALLOWED LIKE A FATTY DOUGHNUT last summer, they clearly know : knew what they wanted and more importantly what they didn't want.

MOGWAI haven't been mentioned yet. They alreadyhave a good consistent catalogue, although the last one is really subpar to me, and then the individualiries certainly don't compare with SY's charismatic people.
I dunno.
Old 12.20.2008, 05:03 AM   #13
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex

MOGWAI haven't been mentioned yet. They alreadyhave a good consistent catalogue, although the last one is really subpar to me, and then the individualiries certainly don't compare with SY's charismatic people.
I dunno.

If you would have said that in 1999, I would probably agreee with you.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2008, 03:01 PM   #14
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's kind of useless to search for an "heir." Obviously everyone will have their own opinion, just like everyone had their own opinion of Sonic Youth until the legacy was more set in stone. And even then, opinions vary.

I don't think it's quite ambition that we're talking about, though. It's more of a combination of ambition, innovation, and some level of success. I think there are plenty of bands as ambitious as SY, but that doesn't mean anything if they're not interesting. Innovation, on the other hand, has been kind of stagnant. But I always wonder if that means we're running out of interesting things, or if we just need new innovators with ambition and the ability to make themselves known.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2008, 03:21 PM   #15
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

By "ambition" you seem to mean experimentation? I know you hate that way of putting it, but "ambition" to implies trying to be bigger rather than trying to push the envelope, and I'm pretty sure you didn't mean that.

Of course on both fronts, the "rock" band that has arguably done so would be Radiohead. I'm not nearly as into them as Sonic Youth myself, but I can't deny that they have pushed the envelope of rock music more than anyone recently who is noticeable to the mass public. Hell, they did it and somehow got more popular, so they must have been "ambitious" (even if their evolved sound may remind us of everyone from Eno to Boards of Canada).
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2008, 03:54 PM   #16
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
By "ambition" you seem to mean experimentation? I know you hate that way of putting it, but "ambition" to implies trying to be bigger rather than trying to push the envelope, and I'm pretty sure you didn't mean that.
But I think success--not so much trying to become bigger, but persisting at something that ended up becoming bigger--really was a huge part of Sonic Youth's ambition. It's not quite the same to be a highly innovative nobody (like Branca) as it is to be a middleman for popular culture (like SY). Branca is practically unknown outside of his own influences, but Sonic Youth--whom he directly influenced--brought a different kind of ambition, one that just happened to click with the mainstream. Sonic Youth did aim for success, though not necessarily on purpose, and that's what sets them apart. In my mind, at least.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2008, 04:08 PM   #17
Massenvernichtungswaffen
stalker

Massenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's asses
I believe personally that Sonic Youth have taught me that a life fragile disoriented a dissonant can be healed throught the observation of 4 normal people with personal histories not so disclosed, that could get together and maybe unknowingly lead those who take little msgs too far, while not meaning so and just maybe just experimenting with theory alot.
cuz there is a lot of theory to their ways
the tunings
why the notes are dissonant and why when the guitar is so fucked out of reality it can be played beautifully
they taught me that w/ out knowing it.
I'm actually just bipolar/ schizo-affective and just really learned this after doing something desperate to assure that strangers wouldn't take earnest efforts of human contact as being something

.. fake.

Because I am not.

if you don't know why i wrote this.
check some threads... the sweater could have unnecessary holes
and is not warming me.
I need this light in chaos

i also need all music and art to influence my fragile mind.

but i was greatly offended and went into a serious existential moment.
because I was sincere
and was met with great opposition.

I am truly sorry.

I wish everyone very well.

will take lil blue pil
stop almost having an angina.
sleep
wake
be normal again cuz that's all it takes.
and realise I did a good job in handling considering the gravity.
I went to a big city hospital and networked myself
it worked
i'll live
and i'll be terribly embarassed about it the rest of my life.
lol
i'll be ok.
thanks to some. thanks to all.
and thanks to DEMONRAIL FOR INDIRECTLY CAUSING ME TO SAVE MY OWN LIFE

such is the enigmatic existence of one who sees too much and can't distinguish what is a good lead from a bad one.
and be their healing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
But I think success--not so much trying to become bigger, but persisting at something that ended up becoming bigger--really was a huge part of Sonic Youth's ambition. It's not quite the same to be a highly innovative nobody (like Branca) as it is to be a middleman for popular culture (like SY). Branca is practically unknown outside of his own influences, but Sonic Youth--whom he directly influenced--brought a different kind of ambition, one that just happened to click with the mainstream. Sonic Youth did aim for success, though not necessarily on purpose, and that's what sets them apart. In my mind, at least.

Jeg kysser katastrofer.

Massenvernichtungswaffen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2008, 04:14 PM   #18
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
wow
Old 12.20.2008, 05:54 PM   #19
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massenvernichtungswaffen
I believe personally that Sonic Youth have taught me that a life fragile disoriented a dissonant can be healed throught the observation of 4 normal people with personal histories not so disclosed, that could get together and maybe unknowingly lead those who take little msgs too far, while not meaning so and just maybe just experimenting with theory alot.
cuz there is a lot of theory to their ways
the tunings
why the notes are dissonant and why when the guitar is so fucked out of reality it can be played beautifully
they taught me that w/ out knowing it.
I'm actually just bipolar/ schizo-affective and just really learned this after doing something desperate to assure that strangers wouldn't take earnest efforts of human contact as being something

.. fake.

Because I am not.

if you don't know why i wrote this.
check some threads... the sweater could have unnecessary holes
and is not warming me.
I need this light in chaos

i also need all music and art to influence my fragile mind.

but i was greatly offended and went into a serious existential moment.
because I was sincere
and was met with great opposition.

I am truly sorry.

I wish everyone very well.

will take lil blue pil
stop almost having an angina.
sleep
wake
be normal again cuz that's all it takes.
and realise I did a good job in handling considering the gravity.
I went to a big city hospital and networked myself
it worked
i'll live
and i'll be terribly embarassed about it the rest of my life.
lol
i'll be ok.
thanks to some. thanks to all.
and thanks to DEMONRAIL FOR INDIRECTLY CAUSING ME TO SAVE MY OWN LIFE

such is the enigmatic existence of one who sees too much and can't distinguish what is a good lead from a bad one.
and be their healing.
tl;dr
Old 12.20.2008, 06:03 PM   #20
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
uh?
I said QOTSA, dammit! forget this schizo bullshit.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth